PDA

View Full Version : O/U for Sporting Clays and birds

willforu1
02-03-2009, 11:04 PM
I am looking at purchasing an O/U for sporting clays and for a few pheasant hunts. I am looking at Citoris. Anyone have any recommendations about the right Barrel size, weight, porting (or not), features etc. Any favorite brands etc. Please reply

Rolex Dr.
02-04-2009, 12:19 AM
i have 2 O?U guns i would sell if some one is interested

one is a Sig Rizzini TT25
it has been carried more then shot has some marks on the wood typical gun I used it (hunted a few times with it)

i had a Jones adjustable butt and a kick ezz rocker pad put on

its a 12ga 28" Sig Aurora TT 25 with the gold trigger and all the seminole choke tubes (5)

also had a 20 ga 30" set of barrels with matching fore end (has the 4 orig choke tubes for these barrels)

coles just fit the barrels in Jan

gun has been shot 12 ga (500-600 rounds) 20ga (4-600 rounds)

i paid 2900 for the gun 3 years ago, paid 500 for the 20 ga barrels
the barrels are 1800 at Galayzan right now (plus fitting)

I do have orig box and recoil pad

whats a fair price to sell for

im thinking $2900

the other gun is a Winchester 101 20 ga 26" IC/mod choked (made late 1960s 1970s) sweet gun and i have killed lots of birds with it but not abused

$1200

ready4pullback
02-04-2009, 09:08 PM
This is an age old question. If you're just going to be hunting pheasants and shooting clays, a 12ga. is definately what you want. I would stay anywhere towards 7-7.5lbs. if you're going to be carrying afield, but everyone has their own tolerance when it comes to weight. A 28" Barrel is a good starting point and I would not buy a gun with fixed chokes if you're using for hunting and SC. I wouldn't get a ported barrel if you can avoid it- unless you're going to be using the gun for competition, the porting is really not a benifit and your hunting buddies will appreciate the decrease in noise. The Citori is definately a great gun depending on which one you get. Although they are fairly new in the market I would also consider an O/U made by CZ- I was very impressed when I looked at one last time I was at my favorite Shotgun shop. Hope this helps!

willforu1
02-05-2009, 08:20 AM
I was looking at a Weatherby Orion 28" for $800 used. I was really impressed. Looks like you can get a little more for your money with the Weatherby.

Seems like they have a O/U for however much money you have. From $300 to $3,000 with little information on features. Almost like when I taged along with my wife when she was buying a gown.

ready4pullback
02-05-2009, 08:57 AM
Almost like when I taged along with my wife when she was buying a gown.

HAHA trying using THAT excuse with her!! The difference between alot of guns is just a name... granted, you sometimes get what you pay for as far as resale value. Frankly I would never buy a gun that I wasnt going to USE (and I use mine alot) so I usually do not want an extremely expensive gun with exotic wood and nutso engraving. Check the fit and finish on the gun- Lock, Stock and Barrel. Look for any slop in the action and make sure that it closes tight without any wiggle, but not so tight that it requires significant pressure to lock. Weatherby is certainly a nice gun for the money. You may also want to look around for a good used gun. You might be able to buy alot more gun for the money in todays market. Be patient- your gun is out there waiting to be found. One of my favorite Shotgun resources is Fieldsport in Traverse City. Excellent, knowledgable staff with some of the nicest stock in their gunroom. They have a nice site- there is a nice Ruger Red Label on there at a nice price too. fieldsportltd.com

Toledo Kid
02-05-2009, 09:08 AM
Stick with the Brownings and don't look back.8)

no.4shot
02-05-2009, 02:06 PM
I agree with Toledo Kid about the brownings. I just got one and I can't believe that I waited this long to get a browning. It points nice and the trigger is awesome.

Rolex Dr.
02-05-2009, 02:50 PM
brownings are nice

but more important than brand is fit

make sure it fits

Mongo
02-05-2009, 05:06 PM
I was looking at a Weatherby Orion 28" for $800 used. I was really impressed. Looks like you can get a little more for your money with the Weatherby.

Seems like they have a O/U for however much money you have. From $300 to $3,000 with little information on features. Almost like when I taged along with my wife when she was buying a gown.

I have a SKB, which is who makes the Weatherby, and I love it. SKB/Weatherby give you a lot of gun for the money. "Rolex Dr." makes a great point, make sure the gun fits you. I was looking at a Beretta, until I picked up the SKB, it fit, and I couldn't be happier with it.

ready4pullback
02-05-2009, 05:10 PM
X3

willforu1
02-05-2009, 08:14 PM
CZ and X3 were ones that I haven't even considered. The Red Label caught my eye. I liked an SKB I saw on Gun Broker. Browning is my first choice rigth now but I am having some sticker shock.

Someone mentioned fit. Do you, can you get fitted for a shotgun? Like you would for golf clubs? Or is this just feel? Is there a certain skill level such as in golf, when fitting becomes important?

postban
02-06-2009, 12:58 PM

Someone mentioned fit. Do you, can you get fitted for a shotgun? Like you would for golf clubs? Or is this just feel? Is there a certain skill level such as in golf, when fitting becomes important?
Fit is important to any shotgunner not using an optic. Fit = placement of your eye in relation to the gun. It must be consistent or you will not be.

O/U's can have stocks bent, reshaped, cut or pads added. Many semiautos can be user adjusted somewhat with drop/cast shims and various thickness recoil pads.

Call these guys and see if they do fitting or know of someone
http://www.islandlakeshootingrange.com/instruction.htm

I prefer semi's to O/U's just always have. Also got lucky and found a 391 Urika that fits me perfect

Have you driven a Beretta 391 lately?, lol.

Rolex Dr.
02-06-2009, 01:47 PM
i have 3 stock fitters if some one needs help

PM me i can turn you on to them

i have had 2 of the 3 do work for me the 3rd will be doing a stock shortly unless i sell it 1st

JD