PDA

View Full Version : 870 stock removal

OpenSights
02-04-2009, 07:19 PM
I bought a new speed stock with a pistol grip for my Rem 870 Experss Super Magnum for next years gun season. Haven't received it yet, but want to get ready for it. The kit I bought says no gun smith requierd, but looking at me 870 I see no obvious way of taking off the wood but stock or forearm piece.
Toward the stock, at the bottom of the receiverjust above and forward of the safety is a retaining pin, is that the one for the stock?
Also, how in the world does the forearm come off? I see the ring at the front, but don't see any way of removal.
Thanks for any help!
Trev

mechredd
02-04-2009, 07:33 PM
To remove the butt stock, you need to first remove the recoil pad with a Phillips screwdriver. You will then need a long hex wrench (I forgot the exact size) to reach and remove a bolt attaching the stock to the receiver.

The fore stock is removed with a specialty tool, but a ling screwdriver or flat bar will work. The ring is threaded on like a large nut. You must field strip the gun down enough to remove the forearm. You should be able to see some slots on the ring. Use a flat bar or screwdriver to rotate the ring counter clockwise until it comes off. The pump handle should slide off the metal tube that it sits on.

esq_stu
02-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Pretty sure my 870 uses a round-head bolt that takes a flat screwdriver (a BIG long screwdriver) to remove the butt stock bolt, after the pad is removed of course. I bought a big screwdriver with a square shank and use a vice-grip to loosen the bolt.

OpenSights
02-05-2009, 05:36 PM
Thanks to everyone for all the info. Got the butt stock off last night and would be making a tool to take off the forend, but I took it into work, and forgot it there. Brought it in to show a friend at work how to take it apart as he's buying one and wants a thumb through stock.

Mike in Michigan
02-05-2009, 09:33 PM
On that long screwdriver you use on the stock bolt...Take some tape and wrap it around the shank of the screwdriver about 2" back from the tip. Wind enough tape to make a "doughnut" of tape that is about 1/16" smaller than the hole in the end of the butt. This keeps the tip of the screwdriver centered in the hole, makes it easier to find the slot in the screw head, and prevents the tip getting stuck on the side of the screw and you busting out the side of the stock while reefing on the handle.