PDA

View Full Version : Advice: Need great optic to be Used on an SBR in a Protection Detail abroad

dino1197
03-15-2017, 06:26 AM
Thanks in advance for reading this here is what I have to put the optic on and details. I will be working a close in protection detail overseas with a Govt. Dignitary. I have had a custom built Rhino SBR, 7.5 inch carbon fiber barrel, Carbon fiber hand guard, collapsible buttstock (when collapsed about 16.5 inches long), I will have a Saker 7.62 quick attach suppressor if needed, the directive is to be as concealed as possible when on the detail (up to a 12 man team in hot temperatures wearing t-shirts and Sport Coats with large bulges from SBR's, MP5's or 7's etc., I know same as always SNAFU) Each 4 man team will have something similar to what I am carrying and we are OGA employees. That said the SBR is a PDW chambered in 300 BLK and I will be running 240gr Subsonic rounds and have a couple of 135gr supersonic rounds as well if needed. The rifle is Righteous. The problem is I have not bought a new CQB optic in years but my EOTECH gave up its ghost and since they are paying for anything we want, we wanted nice things and toys. What I want is something bulletproof. I need something that will hold zero, can handle being bang around, work wet, sandy, dirty or tired. I am sure everyone here knows the rifle means nothing without someone who knows how to shoot it and having a great piece of glass is more important than the rifle. Below are a few I have either read about or checked out in person. I AM COMPLETELY OPEN to suggestions not on the list etc. If you have real world experience all the better and let me know if you don't mind in the post. No offense I will consider EVERY consideration but real world application will get a couple bonus points.
I have looked at the following
Leupold, D-EVO with a simple w/LCO, CMR-w reticle and D-EVO with Delta point pro ( both of which I like A LOT but have never had one in my hand they are hard to find), Mark 4 MR/T,
Steiner Intelligent sight, T5Xi,
Vortex Razor, Viper PST, Venom, Spitfire
Eotech
Trijicon 300 blackout, TA 51, 31, 11
As you can see I cannot figure out which will be best suited for the application I like the ACOG, I like Steiner (both) I like the Leupold D-EVO, and I am TRULY OPEN TO ANY SUGGESTIONS ON THESE MODELS OR ANY OTHER NO MATTER THE PRICEPOINT LOW OR HIGH.
I will appreciate anyone giving advice.
thanks

DrScaryGuy
03-15-2017, 07:01 AM
eotechs eat batteries like I eat cheez-its, need to be turned on/off, and 100% of them lose their zero by a few moa when the temperature changes too much. They're fine in most cases, but it's a limitation to consider.
I don't see Aimpoint on your list. I think the CompM4 can be considered a "battle proven" optic. And it's little brother, the PRO is pretty popular at half the price.

wsr
03-15-2017, 07:02 AM
I heard the gecko45 is a quality piece

Danco411
03-15-2017, 07:08 AM
Since it is a PDW and most ranges will be less than 50m I would go with the Trij MRO.

dino1197
03-15-2017, 07:35 AM
I looked at aimpoint and 20 more. I just want to do best thing for the contract and have a nice setup for future. Thanks brother

Danco411
03-15-2017, 07:38 AM
Hey Dino let me Cerakote that bad boy before you head over. I'll give you a 25% LEO/Military discount. 8-)

Quads
03-15-2017, 11:28 AM

This is the correct answer.

red442joe
03-15-2017, 05:34 PM

I see what you did there.

Joe

Viking
03-15-2017, 06:31 PM
Myself (spent about 2 years as assistant armorer in an infantry unit) and my old unit had good experience with Trijicon, to include fighting over them, as they were better than the alternatives... If price is no object, I have had great experience with every Trijicon product I have ever owned, used, borrowed, or even looked at. The major downsides, with exceptions to their newer LED versions, when the light goes out, so does your ambient light chevron reticle, depending on your lighting conditions you can still see the chevron. In terms of durability, they survive E1's in the military, dropped in the river, dragged through the sand storms and tripped over. On non LED models, no battery or battery cap or temporary / expendable parts seals that keep water out necessary. Regarding keeping zero, I've never had a problem myself. I guess I can say my only two disadvantages I'd care to mention are the lighting conditions effect its operation, and they are a bit on the larger end of mid sized optics. A third but in this case irrelevant downside is they're pricey. I had always loved that the ACOG styles have ballistic scale reticles, I was going to note that subsonic/supersonic load changes could be an issue with the ballistic scales but a quick glance I see they have new reticles to account for this, something to keep in mind if selecting one of the ACOG options.

I have their accupoint 5-20x50 tr23 on my 308 and I love it.

However, I would still class this well above eotech, we broke them (however somewhat infrequently), we kept battery manufactures in business, people only fought over these because of the cool factor, and not because it was any better an aid for shooting (without magnification) than the standard m68...

I have no experience with the other products you've listed. My experience with other alternatives I cannot yet attest to their ... durability. :gavel:

tkurban53
03-15-2017, 07:50 PM
The only one I have personal experience with is the Vortex 3X Spitfire, and I am very happy with it. I like the fact that if the battery craps out it's still usable, as the reticle is etched on the prism.

dino1197
03-15-2017, 11:16 PM
I will look that one up, that is one I don't know a whole lot about.

dino1197
03-15-2017, 11:34 PM
This post was intended for Viking, but apparently my thumbs are too damn big and it ended up in the wrong place. Thank you so much for all the info, I will check out the gecko 45 that other people recommended. Since it's a small SBR any recommendations on which models to look at? I did take advantage and get the suppressor I wanted but I won't be using it over there more than likely but free is good. First time they had offered this so I'm ordering one of everything they're allowing us to order and get reimbursed for. The model you mentioned above I don't know a whole lot about I will look that one up as well I have an AR 10 here at home but I won't be taking, but the optic you talked about above mentioned and sticking out on that weapon here. Once again I appreciate all the help and if you have any models in specific you think would be ideal for such a small SBR I would appreciate any recommendations. Thanks again I would say after reading all these posts right now I am definitely leaning towards the Trijicon. I apologize for any misspellings or craziness I'm doing this through chat to text I believe I fixed most of it but I could've missed something if so my bad.

dino1197
03-15-2017, 11:35 PM
I agree with you on the EOTech's I have broken a few of them myself and one batteries become current sea that's never a good thing.

dino1197
03-15-2017, 11:37 PM
Thanks, I have one of those myself. I like the optic and might be the best or most bang for the buck up the ground. My thinking is since they finally agreed to pay for Something I want to go all out. I do like the Spitfire a lot but I can buy a high-end Trijicon and when I get back sell it and buy for the spitfires LOLOL . Thanks brother .

dino1197
03-15-2017, 11:40 PM
I may take you up on that. What's the turnaround time from when I drop it off until it's good to go?

Danco411
03-16-2017, 07:57 AM
Less than 10 days but usually two or three if we set it up and my schedule allows it.

Cocowheats
03-17-2017, 01:57 PM
Trijicon MRO or Aimpoint Micro H-2. Both are "to hell and back" optics with a multi year battery life when left on. Either or would likely serve you quite well and both have solid reputations.

Personally, I like the larger objective lens on the MRO...

50 BMG
03-21-2017, 01:36 PM
I own 4 Aimpoint Pros, 2 of their predecessors (Aimpoint M2's, 2MOA & NV compatible), an MRO and a couple other red dot knockoffs.
For battery life and durability, I find the Aimpoints tough to beat, BUT they aren't the tiniest optics either. My MRO is mounted on my KSG shotgun and so far so good, but I don't have thousands of rounds through it either. The MRO IS a bit smaller in profile though (Especially if mounted in a full co-witness height or lower mount).... The aim point Micros would be of similar (or slightly smaller) profile then the MRO if mounted right.
HONESTLY IF you are looking for something something which will do excellent in a CQB setting and at a fair distance, and be really excellent in keeping the profile/size as small as possible, I would go with the Trij RMR. Zero it for 50 yards, hold 1-2" high for close-up head shots, and hold dead on out to @ 100 yards.... Problem solved and not a big honkin tube on the rifle to snag clothing & stuff when you are trying to keep it hidden. ...
YMMV.....
;-)

dino1197
03-22-2017, 01:01 PM
Thanks. I am going to get the RMR tomorrow at the Trijicon factory so I get my discount. It's 20 mins from house. Already set it up

dino1197
03-22-2017, 01:06 PM
I am definitely going concealed with the monstrosity on the Gecko 45 site. WTF??? I thought u meant a company made an optic called Gecko 45. Thanks for the laugh tho

50 BMG
03-22-2017, 03:35 PM
Cool...
Good luck on your "job" and be safe!

50 BMG
03-24-2017, 09:38 AM
Thanks. I am going to get the RMR tomorrow at the Trijicon factory so I get my discount. It's 20 mins from house. Already set it up

I'm not sure what the Trijicon discount is for you, but Primary Arms just put the RMR's with the 3.25MOA dot (the one I would prefer over the 6MOA one), WITH an American Defense QD mount, and a jelly-fish RMR cover for $602...

http://www.primaryarms.com/Kit-RM06-Mount-Cover?utm_source=bronto&utm_medium=email&utm_content=SLOT_4&utm_campaign=17_03_Ad17_FREE_Hat&_bta_tid=01535474145476422957898217649119948758052 41616011461506745193820143473524936837271835753528 2252934272532

Seems like a pretty good deal considering the RMR's are usually $600+ by themselves...
one per household...

JohnS624
03-31-2017, 01:32 PM
The OP asked this exact same question a year and a half ago.
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?337746-looking-for-advice-on-a-special-problem-optics-purchase

Quads
03-31-2017, 02:27 PM
The OP asked this exact same question a year and a half ago.
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?337746-looking-for-advice-on-a-special-problem-optics-purchase

So gecko45 was the right answer after all.

JohnS624
03-31-2017, 02:29 PM
So gecko45 was the right answer after all.

I thought so. We get so few "operators" around here that the question sounded familiar. :)

holtian
04-01-2017, 08:23 PM
First thing I thought when I read that original post was Gecko45. Further posts confirmed that assumption.