PDA

View Full Version : Anyone else have issues with a vortex venom holding zero?

Thiscobraspits
03-18-2017, 07:29 AM
I have one on my glock 17 and it changes wildly after every shot. Ive tried different mouting screws, loctite etc and nothing seems to help.

JohnJak
03-18-2017, 08:30 AM
Send it in.

Thiscobraspits
03-18-2017, 09:21 AM
More curious if this is a frequent occurrence with them and if anyone here has had personal experience with it. When I bought it all the reviews seemed great, but after some digging I'm seeing a lot of issues related to mounting, specifically on the Glock MOS platform.

Cocowheats
03-18-2017, 02:00 PM
It's a chinese optic being beat to hell by the action of a handgun...Not too surprising too hear.

I wouldn't expect the venom to actually hold up to any real abuse mounted to a reciprocating handgun slide...Not that sort of quality optic, IMO.

This is also one reason ATEi mills the optic slot to the actual size of your actual optic(you have to send your optic in with the slide so it can be fit). Fitting your actual optic to your slide leaves no wiggle room for the optic to move and throw your zero off. When I pulled my RMR of a slide ATEi did, I was damn near willing to bet that I could have fired it at least once with the screws out and it would have stayed put(never ACTUALLY tried it..just thought it based on how well the fit was).

That said, I have a Venom. I used it on a 9mm range rifle. It lives on a .22 now. No issues with mine but it also isn't riding atop a reciprocating handgun slide.

Contact Vortex....They seem to stand behind their stuff.

dougwg
03-18-2017, 02:40 PM
"Just as good as an RMR" lol
I suggest you get rid of it and buy something that is quality.

Thiscobraspits
03-18-2017, 05:48 PM
"Just as good as an RMR" lol
I suggest you get rid of it and buy something that is quality.

Any recommendations?

dougwg
03-19-2017, 09:50 AM
Aimpoint micro
Aimpoint PRO
Trijicon RMR
Trijicon MRO

Cocowheats
03-20-2017, 02:48 PM
MRO gets my vote. I like the larger objective lense...

DrScaryGuy
03-20-2017, 02:51 PM
Aimpoint micro
Aimpoint PRO
Trijicon RMR
Trijicon MRO
On a Glock 17?

42769vette
03-20-2017, 03:08 PM
I have the Vortex Viper on a glock 34 MOS. It has had roughly 10-12k rounds through it since the original zero, and it has not lost zero yet.

Do you have a 17, or a 17 MOS? If you have the 17 with a rear sight mount, I would bet the mount is your issue.

Ol` Joe
03-20-2017, 03:40 PM
It's a chinese optic being beat to hell by the action of a handgun...Not too surprising too hear.

I wouldn't expect the venom to actually hold up to any real abuse mounted to a reciprocating handgun slide...Not that sort of quality optic, IMO.

This is also one reason ATEi mills the optic slot to the actual size of your actual optic(you have to send your optic in with the slide so it can be fit). Fitting your actual optic to your slide leaves no wiggle room for the optic to move and throw your zero off. When I pulled my RMR of a slide ATEi did, I was damn near willing to bet that I could have fired it at least once with the screws out and it would have stayed put(never ACTUALLY tried it..just thought it based on how well the fit was).

That said, I have a Venom. I used it on a 9mm range rifle. It lives on a .22 now. No issues with mine but it also isn't riding atop a reciprocating handgun slide.

Contact Vortex....They seem to stand behind their stuff.

Actually it is a Philippine product the same as the Nikon Monarch and a few others. I don't have the Venom or use any "dot" types optics but if they are similar to my Vipers they should be decent quality sights. As you say too, they back their products very well from what I have heard and seen with their service on a Crossfire 6.5x18 I have that wouldn't focus out parallax out properly down to the 10 yds they advertise it doing. Less then 10 day turn around from the day I shipped it .

To the OP you are using compatible systems, right? You have both mounts of the same design, not a Weaver rail with a picatinny mount?

What are the differences between the “Picatinny” and the “Weaver” systems? The profile of the two systems is virtually identical. Depending on the quality of the machining done by the manufacturer, the two systems should be indistinguishable from the profile. The key difference lies in the placement of the recoil grooves and with width of the grooves. MIL-STD-1913 (Picatinny) grooves are .206” wide and have a center-to-center width of .394”. The placement of these grooves has to be consistent in order for it to be a true “Picatinny” MIL-STD system. Weaver systems have a .180” width of recoil groove and are not necessarily consistent in a center-to-center measurement from one groove to the next. In many instances, a Weaver system has a specific application that it is machined for, so interchangeability is not necessarily an issue. A MIL-STD-1913 system must adhere to the specifications listed above in order for it to be considered MIL-STD, since the military desires uniformity in the recoil grooves to allow for different systems to be mounted on the weapon with no concern for compatibility.

Now, what does this mean to you? Boiled down, it means that accessories designed for a Weaver system will, in most cases, fit on a “Picatinny” system. The reverse, however, is probably not the case. Due to the larger recoil groove, “Picatinny” accessories will not fit a Weaver system. There are, of course, exceptions to every rule, but for a good rule-of-thumb, “Picatinny” won’t fit Weaver, but Weaver will fit “Picatinny”.

Cocowheats
03-21-2017, 07:27 AM
On a Glock 17?

Oops, I too forgot we were talking handguns for a sec :doh:...RMRs are deff. tough enough for the task. I beat the snot out of one that was mounted on a g17. I racked that thing of every surface known to man...

DrScaryGuy
03-21-2017, 07:47 AM
Oops, I too forgot we were talking handguns for a sec :doh:...RMRs are deff. tough enough for the task. I beat the snot out of one that was mounted on a g17. I racked that thing of every surface known to man...

heh. I've got an old Docter that's just been sitting for years. I've been thinking of getting around to putting it on a behind-the-door SBR since the one cr2032 battery keeps it running for years with auto-brightness. I figure since it's made for riding on top of pistols and shotguns, a low low low recoil silenced sbr should be a breeze.

dougwg
03-21-2017, 08:07 AM
China

Ol` Joe
03-21-2017, 06:49 PM
China

Wrong sight, the OP is talking about a Venom, not a Viper.
http://www.vortexoptics.com/category/venom_red_dot

dougwg
03-21-2017, 07:45 PM
same same

Cocowheats
03-21-2017, 11:24 PM
same same

This....more or less.

The point I think we are trying to make is quality isn't on par with the big boys. Fine for some things but not for others. Riding atop a reciprocating handgun slide is a boatload of abuse...it's really asking a lot out of an optic. Throw in using it as anchor to rack the slide off god knows what, and we are now asking for a to hell and back optic. Vortex makes good stuff, but nothing I'd take to hell and back.

Some of Vortex's stuff is made in Japan, as well as China and the Phillapines. My Venom is marked Phillapines on the bottom.

agksimon
12-22-2017, 04:46 PM
One of the guys I shoot USPSA with, had a new venom and the dot went out, half way through the match.

I1I1I11II
12-22-2017, 05:09 PM
Rmrs flicker and fail too.

Vortex will take care of you and get it right.

Call them, send it in. No problems.

actionpistol327
01-06-2018, 08:22 AM
Aimpoint micro
Aimpoint PRO
Trijicon RMR
Trijicon MROHad a aim point micro. Couldn't even mount due to stripped screw brand new out of the package. Called support got no reply as I could only leave a message. Returned the unit to midway for a refund. I don't think any are without their faults. Some just cost more. Still have an aim point that was mounted on my action pistol gun swapped it out for an ultradot. Been on the gun for thousands of rounds. Quality is dependant on what you're doing with it and how you plan on using it. Not just the cost of the dot. I also like Chevy s over ford. Yep personal preferannce just like dots. They all have have problems.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

hunterspirit
01-07-2018, 03:38 PM
Just leave a message at Aimpoints American office, they call back.
That weird name guy in Sveden not so much.