PDA

View Full Version : Credit where credit is due... and the life expectancy of MREs

Jackam
03-25-2017, 03:19 PM
I thought up the name for this forum!

Although it's been talked about as "pure genius," it was effortless.
That's how I roll. :D

What's the oldest MRE you'd trust for a meal?
(not really a milsurp firearm issue, but it is milsurp!)

adam9er
03-25-2017, 03:51 PM
MREs technically have a minimum 10 year shelf life and the date on the case is a 5 year inspection date. I have eaten MREs that the candy in them were 3+ years past their sell by / best by dates. I would have no issues with eating a 5 year old MRE and I probably did when I was active duty.

Roundballer
03-25-2017, 03:52 PM

I'd try just about any one you could come up with (of course after you tried it first, while I was watching).

I have had about 20 year old canned fruit-cake out of (I think) a Korean era C-rat package. I like fruit-cake, and it wasn't too bad.

It was 20 years old and it was US mil-surp.

mikeb32
03-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Nice Job!!

Jackam
03-25-2017, 04:49 PM
Nice Job!!

That's what I thought too!

Jackam
03-25-2017, 04:50 PM
I have had about 20 year old canned fruit-cake out of (I think) a Korean era C-rat package. I like fruit-cake, and it wasn't too bad.

I like fruitcake too. Unfortunately, these MREs will have skittles :(

AxlMyk
03-25-2017, 04:59 PM
I have had about 20 year old canned fruit-cake out of...
That stuff is still edible after sitting on Aunt Martha's shelf in the pantry for 30 years.

SteveS
03-25-2017, 09:11 PM
I had some 30 year old crackers we found in a fallout shelter in the basement of my high school.

qz2026
03-26-2017, 08:37 AM
About five years ago, because of the economy, etc..., I thought that I would look for some C-Rations. Couldn't find them, obviously. I sure liked the scrambled eggs, the candy and the 5-pack of Winstons. We used to drop the cans in a 50 gallon barrel with boiling water to heat them up. Hey, no chow lines where I was. Yes, I am aging myself :) The only MRE's I ever came across what the freeze dried rations that the Forced Recon guys had. I traded a burp gun for a whole case of "long rats" as they used to call it. Have no idea what the guys now are eating but I think it's some sort of freeze dried stuff...

oldmann1967
03-26-2017, 01:11 PM

Is this a joke or you really this vain?

AxlMyk
03-26-2017, 03:30 PM
Hide all the mirrors.

mudoven
03-26-2017, 03:38 PM
Aside from the chocolate bars turning white, I've recently eaten MRE's dated 1997 with no issues. As a kid, my friend and I ate all of his father's C-rations (Combat Unit B) he had brought home from Korea...we even smoked the cigs.

There are a few Youtube channels that feature military rations from the past (WW2, etc.) and the hosts open and sample many interesting items. One interesting vid was of a pilots emergency rations from the 1950's, it contained Amphetamine Sulphate pills.

Norton
03-26-2017, 07:00 PM
I have a case of LRPS 197?. Also have some C's.
I'll donate for a banquet.

JohnJak
03-26-2017, 08:06 PM

He's off his Meds again.

Jackam
03-26-2017, 10:22 PM

PhotoTom made the "pure genius" comment and I STILL laugh every time I think of it.

If you guys don't see the humor in me naming a Military Surplus forum "Military Surplus Discussion" OR don't see the pure genius in it, then YOU guys need the meds! :D

oldmann1967
03-27-2017, 01:32 PM
PhotoTom made the "pure genius" comment and I STILL laugh every time I think of it.

If you guys don't see the humor in me naming a Military Surplus forum "Military Surplus Discussion" OR don't see the pure genius in it, then YOU guys need the meds! :D

Lol

qz2026
03-28-2017, 08:25 AM
I remember that the C-Ration can opener rated a place right next to my dog tags... Couldn't do without that...

Fuel Fire Desire
03-28-2017, 02:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I6Et1JkidnnbWgJFiMeHA

Check this guys channel out. He goes through and gets genuinely excited about old rations. His reactions to eating some of these things are pure gold.

mikeb32
03-28-2017, 03:36 PM
Pretty cool stuff, He does seem a little strange, But to each his own, I guess!