PDA

View Full Version : Numbers matching firearms

adam9er
03-25-2017, 04:12 PM
I recently purchased a M1 Garand without knowing the history or condition of the rifle. I was told by the previous owner that it was not a numbers matching firearm. I decided to do some research and found that the only serial number on an M1 is the receiver and that the other numbers are batch numbers. I also found that the date range of the a batch number does not always have to match up to the date of the serial number in order to be correct.

For the "run of the mill" surplus firearms like the ones you would get from the CMP for a good-fair price how important is is to people to have a "numbers matching" firearm. I have noticed that U.S. surplus firearms are really not numbers matching in the same way say an old German or Russian firearms are with the serial numbers stamped on multiple parts of the firearm.

John L
03-25-2017, 05:29 PM
Adam,
You are correct that the M1 only has the serial number in one place. The term "correct" is used a lot in regards to M1's. It use is in reference to the drawing numbers found on various parts throughout the rifle. Most drawing numbers will have a revision number (Ex. D35382 9 op rod) and those revision numbers correspond to different production dates. So a Garand with the proper drawing and revision numbers relative to the serial number are considered "correct".

oldmann1967
03-25-2017, 07:39 PM
I recently purchased a M1 Garand without knowing the history or condition of the rifle. I was told by the previous owner that it was not a numbers matching firearm. I decided to do some research and found that the only serial number on an M1 is the receiver and that the other numbers are batch numbers. I also found that the date range of the a batch number does not always have to match up to the date of the serial number in order to be correct.

For the "run of the mill" surplus firearms like the ones you would get from the CMP for a good-fair price how important is is to people to have a "numbers matching" firearm. I have noticed that U.S. surplus firearms are really not numbers matching in the same way say an old German or Russian firearms are with the serial numbers stamped on multiple parts of the firearm.

You may be able to find the serial number date and reference the date on the barrel to see if it is original. They are very fun to take apart and research to see if they jive part wise.

adam9er
03-25-2017, 08:17 PM
You may be able to find the serial number date and reference the date on the barrel to see if it is original. They are very fun to take apart and research to see if they jive part wise.

I have done some research on my rifle. The Receiver is Jan-Feb 1945, The stock is an August 1943- March 1945 S. A. / G.A.W. stock with still clear stamps, the barrel is JAN 1945, the internals are from between 1943-1945. it has the lockbar rear sight, which I believe to be a type 1(have to do research and possibly get a different sight). It does have a WRA hammer, so I expect that is had been re-armored at least once or twice in its life.

MichMass
03-26-2017, 12:40 AM
Adam,
You are correct that the M1 only has the serial number in one place. The term "correct" is used a lot in regards to M1's. It use is in reference to the drawing numbers found on various parts throughout the rifle. Most drawing numbers will have a revision number (Ex. D35382 9 op rod) and those revision numbers correspond to different production dates. So a Garand with the proper drawing and revision numbers relative to the serial number are considered "correct".

This is the kind of stuff I was hoping to learn here. Thank you.

adam9er
03-26-2017, 12:59 AM
This is now my third WW2 firearm. I have a 1942 Inland M1 carbine, that I am taking back to being period correct. I also have a 1943 Remington Rand M1911A1. The 1911 does have Match sights mounted, but I do have original sights for it. Researching military firearms can be more fun and satisfying than the shooting and maintaining them.

qz2026
03-26-2017, 08:29 AM
I am hoping that CMP can now start selling the surplus 1911's. I'd love to have one of those from the war.