PDA

View Full Version : CMP?

MichMass
03-26-2017, 08:20 PM
Over the last several years, I've checked the CMP site only to find them sold out of anything that might be in my price range. Am I just hitting it at really bad times or do you just need to be insanely lucky to find a field grade Garand available at any given time? Or am I just woefully out of my depth on that site?

Thanks.

qz2026
03-27-2017, 07:54 AM
I check their site from time to time in anticipation of them receiving and starting to distribute WWII 1911A1's. It's coming but no one knows when. I think Obama squashed it. Will see what Trump does.

I guess I was fortunate last year when I got mine. Mine's a field grade rifle and, to me, is very nice. Stock is excellent IMHO. I always thought that my collection should have a few American rifles and thought a Garand would be nice. But, the prices for them, especially gun shows, were crazy. I was able to get the field grade from CMP for $750 - a really good price for one of these. As I recall, these were the only ones left.

Be patient. There are a lot of surplus Garands from Korea out there. We just need for Trump or Congress to authorize the re-import and a ton of them will hit the market. With Garands and 1911's there could be some exciting times coming. Another thing Obama squashed.

Rootsy
03-27-2017, 09:54 AM
Keep an eye on this area of the CMP forum and be ready to make the 2 hour trip (Thur - Sat) from Grass Lake to Port Clinton and hand pick your new rifle. Purchase requirements are the same as mail order.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

MichMass
03-27-2017, 11:26 AM
Keep an eye on this area of the CMP forum and be ready to make the 2 hour trip (Thur - Sat) from Grass Lake to Port Clinton and hand pick your new rifle. Purchase requirements are the same as mail order.

http://forums.thecmp.org/forumdisplay.php?f=73

Very cool, thanks.

vlmuke
03-27-2017, 12:09 PM
Rootsy beat me too it and the nice thing is sometimes you can pick your rifle out and there is no waiting the 3 months, just make sure you have met all the requirements and you are GTG, with Port Clinton so close its great for us. my buddy went last summer with the intent of getting a service grade, ended up getting a totally rebuilt one for 950 instead fresh park job and brand new barrel, not worth as much as correct but he got for shooting the appleseed matches as he is a instructor for them.

sfineone
03-27-2017, 04:02 PM
Go if you can... usually a fun trip! Been there many times. Was to late to get a Carbine from them (but got one elsewhere) but did get a Garand and lots of HXP to feed it. The people that work there are great as well.
Like others have said, make sure to take your paperwork. Club membership, proof of live fire etc etc.... once you show them all that, it is good for 3 years I think.

MichMass
03-27-2017, 06:08 PM
Go if you can... usually a fun trip! Been there many times. Was to late to get a Carbine from them (but got one elsewhere) but did get a Garand and lots of HXP to feed it. The people that work there are great as well.
Like others have said, make sure to take your paperwork. Club membership, proof of live fire etc etc.... once you show them all that, it is good for 3 years I think.

What is proof of live fire?

mtlucas0311
03-27-2017, 07:49 PM
You need to show that you have participated in a match or clinic, like a Garand, Springfield, or vintage match/clinic. The good folks at Blue Water, DSC, Monroe R&P, and many more local clubs put on several every year and do a fine job. You get a certificate after it's over that is used to prove that you've satisfied the requirement.

If you don't yet own one of these rifles, clubs that put on the matches almost always have loaners. If not, there are ALWAYS multiple shooters who will loan you theirs.

Roundballer
03-27-2017, 07:56 PM
What is proof of live fire?

It is evidence that you have participated in a instructional or marksmanship event. An Appleseed event qualifies, so would any number of other rifle (or other shooting) matches.

There is a whole list that qualify. Here is the link to the CMP requirements: The Cmp.org Rifle sales/eligibility-requirements/ (http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/)

Rootsy
03-27-2017, 09:12 PM
list of qualifiers for marksmanship participation...

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

sfineone
03-27-2017, 09:59 PM
At the time, I had t done most of those. I got a range officer to write a quick letter on the ranges stationary saying he had seen me safely shooting on the range.

MichMass
03-28-2017, 02:22 AM

Excellent. Since military service counts, I'm good to go on that one. Thanks.

Rootsy
03-28-2017, 10:55 AM
At the time, I had t done most of those. I got a range officer to write a quick letter on the ranges stationary saying he had seen me safely shooting on the range.

Come to MRPC on 4/8, give me $10 and complete a match and I will give you a certificate of participation and you will be GTG.

Professorwiz
03-28-2017, 11:07 AM
All you need is a CPL and that'll take care of the Marksman part. Least that's what the fella down there told me on the phone.

intheburbs
03-28-2017, 11:18 AM
You need 3 things to purchase from CMP

1) Proof of citizenship (regular drivers license doesn't count - you need an enhanced DL, original SS card, certified birth certificate or passport)
2) Proof of some kind of marksmanship training (CPL counts)
3) Membership in an affiliated organization - most likely if you're a member of a range, the range is affiliated, or you could join Appleseed for $20, or they'll let you join the Garand Collectors Association for $20.

I went down there with my son to buy his 16th birthday present back in July. All they had were the Winchester Special Garands for $1200. New barrel, new furniture, all other parts re-Parkerized. Oh, and even if you drive down, still have it shipped because then you don't have to pay sales tax, which on a $1200 rifle is like $80. The rifle is beautiful, and tight. Just like a new Garand!

http://i151.photobucket.com/albums/s146/variseal/Wills%20garand_zps7rqisytl.jpg

Kaeto
03-28-2017, 11:31 AM
MGO is affiliated.

METL
03-29-2017, 08:53 AM
MGO is affiliated.

Excellent!

CPL, MGO, just have to get copy of birth cert... Easy peasy.

04JRB
03-29-2017, 02:03 PM
I didn't realize that CMP is so close to Sandusky (cedar point) until now, wife planned a trip that we will be going through Sandusky, I will have to split off to take a visit, I have always wanted to check it out.

Ill be sure to grab my birth cert or passport, my MGO card, my CPL are always with me already.