PDA

View Full Version : Right to carry legislation introduced in Michigan House of Representatives

Tallbear
03-28-2017, 12:50 PM
"The four-bill package is sponsored by Reps. Michele Hoitenga of Manton, Triston Cole of Mancelona, Sue Allor of Wolverine and Pamela Hornberger of Chesterfield Township.
The legislation is a step toward reforming Michigan firearm law to stop law-abiding citizens from being punished for exercising their Second Amendment right to bear arms."

http://gophouse.org/right-carry-legislation-introduced-michigan-house-representatives/

Squad51 Shooter
03-28-2017, 03:02 PM
It will be interesting to see what is exactly in the wording of the bills... the bigger issue is the RINO running the state and if he will sign them.

zigziggityzoo
03-28-2017, 05:23 PM
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2017-HB-4416

Substantively, what it does is it effectively neuters the felony for carrying a concealed firearm. The law will ONLY apply to someone who is already prohibited from possessing a firearm.

EVERYTHING else about our licensing scheme remains the same (Including Pistol Free Zones).

What's interesting is that if you don't have a CPL, then MCL 28.425o Concealed PFZs will not apply to you. However, MCL 750.234d possession PFZs WILL apply to you because you won't meet the CPL exemption, but you could qualify for another exemption (for example, permission from the owner).

Squad51 Shooter
03-30-2017, 07:35 PM
No real change pretty much

luckless
03-31-2017, 05:14 AM
You will no longer need a CPL to conceal carry your handgun in Michigan if you can legally possess a handgun.

I consider that to be a significant change.

zigziggityzoo
03-31-2017, 06:37 AM
It is, however, not a significant change to the "Constitutional carry" package introduced last term, which died in committee.

Remo
03-31-2017, 10:25 AM
http://legislature.mi.gov/doc.aspx?2017-HB-4416

Substantively, what it does is it effectively neuters the felony for carrying a concealed firearm. The law will ONLY apply to someone who is already prohibited from possessing a firearm.

EVERYTHING else about our licensing scheme remains the same (Including Pistol Free Zones).

What's interesting is that if you don't have a CPL, then MCL 28.425o Concealed PFZs will not apply to you. However, MCL 750.234d possession PFZs WILL apply to you because you won't meet the CPL exemption, but you could qualify for another exemption (for example, permission from the owner).

Wouldn't an out of state CPL also exempt you? Many of us have those anyway so we don't have to use Michigan's pistol registration.

If a Michigan resident doesn't have a Michigan CPL but has another states CPL could that person conceal carry anywhere other than the Federal zones? If this goes into affect that is. Or am I way off.

zigziggityzoo
03-31-2017, 10:37 AM
Wouldn't an out of state CPL also exempt you? Many of us have those anyway so we don't have to use Michigan's pistol registration.

If a Michigan resident doesn't have a Michigan CPL but has another states CPL could that person conceal carry anywhere other than the Federal zones? If this goes into affect that is. Or am I way off.

out-of-state CPLs are still subject to 28.425o today. I don't suspect this will change if this passes.

Remo
03-31-2017, 02:55 PM
out-of-state CPLs are still subject to 28.425o today. I don't suspect this will change if this passes.

Aww rats. Lol