PDA

View Full Version : What first?

MichMass
03-29-2017, 09:58 PM
I currently have 0 milsurp firearms. My wish list weapons are, of course, insanely expensive, dang hard to find, or both. Usually they're both. What would any of you suggest for a newbie, did own a Lee Enfield, to begin a collection? Be gentle to my wallet. I have a wife, three kids still at home, animals, and all the sundry expenses associated with being a grown up.

Mkc451
03-29-2017, 10:06 PM
I currently have 0 milsurp firearms. My wish list weapons are, of course, insanely expensive, dang hard to find, or both. Usually they're both. What would any of you suggest for a newbie, did own a Lee Enfield, to begin a collection? Be gentle to my wallet. I have a wife, three kids still at home, animals, and all the sundry expenses associated with being a grown up.

Interesting - you and I are almost at the same place. My dad had a Lee Enfield .. but I didn't get it when passed, Mom gave it to an old hunting buddy. But I have been looking to start - thinking a K31, M39 or Swedish Mauser to start. Wallet is a big deal for me too. Hope to see a few good ideas.

M.Schmitz87
03-30-2017, 06:07 AM
I started with a Mosin. Next step was a K 98 that I got at a good deal.
Then came a 1911, not original surplus but very close.
A M1 Garand is probably the next logical purchase. Although a very expensive one.
Like you guys i also have young kids, a stay at home mom and a mortgage, I know how tough it is. Patience is key. Saving up, setting priorities right. For me it's things like, do u really need to buy that craft beer or would a bud light do it for tonight? Little things like that. Or really thinking about impulse purchases I would normally not even betting an eye about.

cmr19xx
03-30-2017, 06:29 AM
I'm a huge fan of the Swedish Mausers. Well made, tack drivers. I like the Swiss K31 because they are different - also really nice shooters. I sold my Mosin 91/30's. They were fun rifle to shoot when ammo was cheap and plentiful, but the recoil is stout and I've not found them to be as accurate as other milsurps. I'd really like to find a nice 1903A3, but that's more than I want to spend right now.

postban
03-30-2017, 06:29 AM
.. What would any of you suggest for a newbie, did own a Lee Enfield, to begin a collection?....

We have something in common. I have 0 milsurps. Sold all of them about 6 years ago. Had dozens. Several racks full lining the walls of my gun room. Started collecting early 90's, had FFL, made it too easy. $49 Swedish Mausers, $29 Mosins and Turkish Mausers, $65 Mas36, $99 98k. $150 1917 Enfield, Russian SKS for $179, so many more.
Curse the Shotgun News :rant:
Some long package on the porch once a week, a lot. Suppressors and Practicality killed them for me.

Look for something that you can actually find ammo for and have fun shooting.

I'm just gonna ramble a bit here.
SKS is still a very practical gun, owned Chinese, Russian and Yugo. Liked the Russian best, yugo was pig heavy.
Another fave was a 1917 Enfield, Remington gun. Full size rifle in 30.06. Ammo everywhere.
Did not really care for Garands and their special needs ammo. Had two, don't miss em. The ~ping~ was about it.
I had many Mosins, mostly because they were cheap. That ship sailed, none of them are worth the current prices, not even factory new. The only rifle action that requires toting a 2x4 around with it. Don't miss any of them. Not even when watching Enemy at the gates... first one was a mint M91 Finn, mirror bore, last one was 91/30 PU
I had a #1MK3 IIRC it was a 1917, found a grenade launcher for it, the cup kind. Always liked the muzzle appearance.
High number 03 Springfield was about the smoothest cycling action I ever tried, amazing, sights were odd. Had a "scant" stock on it.
Killed my first buck with one of those 96 Swedes after I chopped the bbl and drilled and tapped it. <That probably hurt to read. was a solid 1.5" 100 yd rifle after.
Had a customer from Dearborn ordering from Samco, SOG, Century and every other milsurp pusher every week. He had hundreds of long guns.
Almost every Mauser type... ponder that.
Probably sold him 80-90 rifles. Never heard of a Persian Mauser til then. Sudanese AR10s :crazy:

So go simple, SKS Russian if you can find one.

qz2026
03-30-2017, 08:55 AM
Prices have gone up on all the Milsurps. The only entry level rifles now are some Mosins (you can find deals on them) and the Turk Mausers. Many of the "seasoned" collectors poo-poo the Turks. This is good because I was able to acquire a good number of them for pretty cheap. Most are very solid 8mm rifles with very good bores. Just have to make sure of these basics before you purchase one. The Swedes are the best shooters IMHO for accuracy and just plain joy in shooting. The Swiss are extremely accurate too. Both are getting kind of expensive now. K-31's are going through the roof now because the supply has dwindled. A non-matcher went for $500 yesterday on one of the other boards. I think that to get in now, you must more than ever understand what you are buying and it's value.

M.Schmitz87
03-30-2017, 10:19 AM
I'm just wondering if the prices will go down again or if they will just stay high like that. The supply is mostly dried up and the value does not really reflect the price anymore.
I see crappy mosins going for 300$ every now and then.
Why?
In my opinion not worth it. I guess it's worth whatever someone will pay for it but for 300-500 bucks you will find nicer shooting, higher quality rifles.

JohnS624
03-30-2017, 11:45 AM
The first one to buy is the one that interests you. I like Enfields because I like British military history. If you don't know what to buy, don't buy any. There's nothing that says that you have to have military surplus guns.

qz2026
03-30-2017, 12:02 PM
The secret is that those who are selling these Mosins for $300 aren't selling them. Sometimes to inexperienced new collectors with deep pockets. If you look closely, you can find them anymore for around $200 sometimes cheaper. The retailers understand that supply is down so they are opening the crates they have been saving and releasing rifles and trying to get top dollar to take advantage of the supply issues.. Most don't sell but a few do. Others are releasing their collections in hopes of cashing in. But, if you look at what is really sold, the lower priced are selling. But, some that just a few months ago sold cheap have really gone up and people are buying them.

When I sell rifles, I put low starting prices and now reserves on them. I let the bidders determine their value. One of the guys was talking SKS's. These can be a good value. The Russian varieties are the most expensive. My first one was a Chinese and I love it. These can still be found for $350-$450. Ammo is plentiful and cheap, they are a blast to shoot and don't kill your shoulder like many of the Mosins will. Another option for you is to find a decent Spanish 1917 short rifle in 7mm. 7mm is nice to shoot too and these rifles can be had for under $300. 7mm ammo is not as plentiful but available. I know that PRVI sells it and you can find it at gun shows and other forums. One will show up from time-to-time here too. Also, as I said before, the Turks are relatively cheap and nice ones can be had at a very good price. They shoot 8mm. That can be found as well. As usual with any rifle, stock condition and bore is pretty important. Another really good idea are the Czech M-48's and M24/47's. Many can be had for under $300 but their prices are going up too. But, solid and very nice K98 clones and M24 rebuilds. They also shoot 8mm.

I think I will buy a table at the next gun show up here and sell some of mine. I expect most to sell for under $300 which will PO many of the other sellers.

If you look and hold your urges down, you will find some very good guns and not spend a lot doing so.

Garymac
03-30-2017, 02:42 PM
I got my milsups back in the day pretty cheap, don't follow it much anymore but an ad for this was in my inbox recently. I already have one but always thought they were kinda cool. I don't know if this is deal or not but I don't see them offered very much anymore.

https://www.dsarms.com/p-16667-yugoslavian-model-59-66-sks-rifle-762x39-range-grade.aspx

So yeah, I think an SKS or Mosin are good first choices. I also saw some spainish mausers for sale recently but I can't remember where.

SOG (southern ohio gun) has Mosins in the $200-300 range.

MichMass
03-30-2017, 03:45 PM
We have something in common. I have 0 milsurps. Sold all of them about 6 years ago. Had dozens. Several racks full lining the walls of my gun room. Started collecting early 90's, had FFL, made it too easy. $49 Swedish Mausers, $29 Mosins and Turkish Mausers, $65 Mas36, $99 98k. $150 1917 Enfield, Russian SKS for $179, so many more.
Curse the Shotgun News :rant:
Some long package on the porch once a week, a lot. Suppressors and Practicality killed them for me.

Look for something that you can actually find ammo for and have fun shooting.

I'm just gonna ramble a bit here.
SKS is still a very practical gun, owned Chinese, Russian and Yugo. Liked the Russian best, yugo was pig heavy.
Another fave was a 1917 Enfield, Remington gun. Full size rifle in 30.06. Ammo everywhere.
Did not really care for Garands and their special needs ammo. Had two, don't miss em. The ~ping~ was about it.
I had many Mosins, mostly because they were cheap. That ship sailed, none of them are worth the current prices, not even factory new. The only rifle action that requires toting a 2x4 around with it. Don't miss any of them. Not even when watching Enemy at the gates... first one was a mint M91 Finn, mirror bore, last one was 91/30 PU
I had a #1MK3 IIRC it was a 1917, found a grenade launcher for it, the cup kind. Always liked the muzzle appearance.
High number 03 Springfield was about the smoothest cycling action I ever tried, amazing, sights were odd. Had a "scant" stock on it.
Killed my first buck with one of those 96 Swedes after I chopped the bbl and drilled and tapped it. <That probably hurt to read. was a solid 1.5" 100 yd rifle after.
Had a customer from Dearborn ordering from Samco, SOG, Century and every other milsurp pusher every week. He had hundreds of long guns.
Almost every Mauser type... ponder that.
Probably sold him 80-90 rifles. Never heard of a Persian Mauser til then. Sudanese AR10s :crazy:

So go simple, SKS Russian if you can find one.

Thanks. I'll start looking at info on those.

MichMass
03-30-2017, 03:47 PM
The secret is that those who are selling these Mosins for $300 aren't selling them. Sometimes to inexperienced new collectors with deep pockets. If you look closely, you can find them anymore for around $200 sometimes cheaper. The retailers understand that supply is down so they are opening the crates they have been saving and releasing rifles and trying to get top dollar to take advantage of the supply issues.. Most don't sell but a few do. Others are releasing their collections in hopes of cashing in. But, if you look at what is really sold, the lower priced are selling. But, some that just a few months ago sold cheap have really gone up and people are buying them.

When I sell rifles, I put low starting prices and now reserves on them. I let the bidders determine their value. One of the guys was talking SKS's. These can be a good value. The Russian varieties are the most expensive. My first one was a Chinese and I love it. These can still be found for $350-$450. Ammo is plentiful and cheap, they are a blast to shoot and don't kill your shoulder like many of the Mosins will. Another option for you is to find a decent Spanish 1917 short rifle in 7mm. 7mm is nice to shoot too and these rifles can be had for under $300. 7mm ammo is not as plentiful but available. I know that PRVI sells it and you can find it at gun shows and other forums. One will show up from time-to-time here too. Also, as I said before, the Turks are relatively cheap and nice ones can be had at a very good price. They shoot 8mm. That can be found as well. As usual with any rifle, stock condition and bore is pretty important. Another really good idea are the Czech M-48's and M24/47's. Many can be had for under $300 but their prices are going up too. But, solid and very nice K98 clones and M24 rebuilds. They also shoot 8mm.

I think I will buy a table at the next gun show up here and sell some of mine. I expect most to sell for under $300 which will PO many of the other sellers.

If you look and hold your urges down, you will find some very good guns and not spend a lot doing so.

The issue is just that: restricting that deep and abiding need for more noise makers that don't eat my food.

postban
03-31-2017, 06:01 AM
I also saw some spainish mausers for sale recently but I can't remember where.

OWS $109
http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1304&zenid=85f127cb197a854742fc03c306a3eb8e

Their were more pics in the email they sent than are currently on the ad page, musta deleted it.

Garymac
03-31-2017, 02:15 PM
OWS $109
http://www.ows-ammo.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=25&products_id=1304&zenid=85f127cb197a854742fc03c306a3eb8e

Their were more pics in the email they sent than are currently on the ad page, musta deleted it.

That's it. Thanks for remembering

SMLE
03-31-2017, 05:45 PM
The first one to buy is the one that interests you. I like Enfields because I like British military history. If you don't know what to buy, don't buy any. There's nothing that says that you have to have military surplus guns.

This is how I feel. All of my milsurps are British since that is what interests me. I should probably get a Garand, though, but I've been saying that for years...