PDA

View Full Version : My French Family

wombat12
04-25-2017, 05:04 PM
Have a thing for French rifles. Good shooters all.

Top- Mas49/56 in original 7.5x54. Scope mount is a K-Var, no longer available, with a Nikon variable on top. Only changes are a variable gas valve and lightened trigger- both reversable.

Middle-Mas49/56 in 7.62 NATO. This is a "fixed" Century conversion with new, full length recoil spring, adjustable gas valve, modified extractor, polished chamber and lightened trigger. Scope mount is a S&K with a TacticalII variable scope. The mount is so high overbore (thus the cheek riser set up) that you can disassemble the action without removing the scope.

Bottom- Late production (FH series) Mas36.

true_w
04-25-2017, 05:55 PM
Very nice! My French rifles are the older WWI types.

Silence214
04-09-2018, 07:24 PM
Always liked how quick the 36 is to should and fire off several rounds...nice

wombat12
04-10-2018, 03:34 PM
Yes, they look funny. However, well balanced, handy, quick- short bolt throw. Can't appreciate them till you shoot one.

wsr
04-10-2018, 04:09 PM
Nice...were they all sold as never fired and only dropped once

wombat12
04-10-2018, 06:13 PM
Nice...were they all sold as never fired and only dropped once

You're "joke" is both insulting and stupid. Might want to check how many Garands the Americans never fired and dropped at the Kasserine Pass. Check French military causalities in WW1 and WW2 against those of the U.S. You might thank your freedom to
the French troops that fired and didn't drop their muskets at Yorktown.

wsr
04-10-2018, 07:17 PM
You're "joke" is both insulting and stupid. Might want to check how many Garands the Americans never fired and dropped at the Kasserine Pass. Check French military causalities in WW1 and WW2 against those of the U.S. You might thank your freedom to

LOL, I take it you’re French
Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities

dirtmcgirt76239
04-10-2018, 09:46 PM
Should I be offended by the bold ?

Nice guns.

Do you know why there are so few french guns here, handguns included.

We get english rifles, belgian everything, czech guns, german, austrian, swiss, italian, spanish, portugese. turkish, serbian, croatian, romanian, slovenian.

I am not aware of any in the 80s uo to currently.

dirtmcgirt76239
04-10-2018, 09:49 PM
to be fair I think the french shot down 1/3 of the Luftwaffe, they did seem to roll over pretty quick, but then the resistance put up a good fight. Seems more like a lot of the early countries rolled so as to preserve themselves. So france was not unique.

MichMass
04-10-2018, 11:18 PM
to be fair I think the french shot down 1/3 of the Luftwaffe, they did seem to roll over pretty quick, but then the resistance put up a good fight. Seems more like a lot of the early countries rolled so as to preserve themselves. So france was not unique.

1/3 of the Luftwaffe? Would you mind telling me where I could find that information?

Regarding the joke that ruffled some feathers, I find it suspect that the most famed French military unit is manned by foreigners. And Yorktown? Really? I do believe that it was the French monarchy that helped us out then and not the French people. The government that we owe any thanks to no longer exists. Since when do we count casualties as a method of determining who helped whom? Does WW I end as it did without our involvement? How about the second time around?

AM1958
04-11-2018, 07:19 AM

And you should look carefully for example at the underlying reason why half a million British soldiers were killed or wounded in Flanders during 1917.

Let me give you a hint. The French soldiers were, to all intents and purposes, on strike. Rather than all out mutiny they had agreed with their officer corps, (largely Petain himself), that they would not abandon their trenches but that they would not partake in any offensive actions until their grievances were addressed. This meant that there was a huge weak point in the allied front and it fell to the British under General Hague, (widely blamed for his stupidity in constantly attacking the Germans), to keep the Germans occupied so they couldn't move divisions opposite the French sector and exploit the weakness they presented.

So, you see, French military history was, yet again, tarnished. I won't mention Agincourt where the English and Welsh were outnumbered as much as six to one and gave the French a severe thrashing...

There is a good reason that the most decorated and highly respected arm of the French military is the French Foreign Legion.

For your edification, stereotypes, especially those that lead to humor, are generally based on a pattern of behaviour that has been observed over time, the French being "cheese eating surrender monkeys" has it's basis in such observation and you can be as offended as you like but all it does is make you look a little precious.

castrotikon
04-11-2018, 09:13 AM
LOL, I take it you’re French
Sorry if I offended your delicate sensibilities

Ooooo, we're resorting to making fun of the French now, how original. Bravo.

dirtmcgirt76239
04-11-2018, 09:23 AM
1/3 of the Luftwaffe? Would you mind telling me where I could find that information?

Regarding the joke that ruffled some feathers, I find it suspect that the most famed French military unit is manned by foreigners. And Yorktown? Really? I do believe that it was the French monarchy that helped us out then and not the French people. The government that we owe any thanks to no longer exists. Since when do we count casualties as a method of determining who helped whom? Does WW I end as it did without our involvement? How about the second time around?

I did not bring up yorktown, someone else did.

I agree and the help was to spite the brits, not out of benevolence, or values, it was pure hate of the brits.

dirtmcgirt76239
04-11-2018, 09:25 AM
ill have to search on the luffwaffe numbers it was a factoid on a story that was basically, the french arent great, but they are not really as bas as we make them out to be.

wombat12
04-11-2018, 10:21 AM
No, I am not French. I'm Welsh, Scottish and English on both sides of my family as far back as can be traced.
The average French soldier is as brave as any other when well led. Unfortunately, they have been poorly led most of the time. In May of 1940,
the French had more and better tanks than the Germans. Two Panzer Divisions were actually issued Czech tanks. However, the French tanks (with the exception of a single Armored Division) were scattered among the Infantry Divisions. As with every other army at the time, they were assuming for a repeat of WWI, and had no answer for the German mobile tactics.

As for the availability of French guns, the French refurbish and hold replaced arms in reserve against future need. Quite a few (MAS36, MAS36/51, MAS44, MAS49, and MAS49/46) were imported in the 80s and early 90s. The rest were destroyed under EU policy.

dirtmcgirt76239
04-11-2018, 11:27 AM
i have seen surplus mas of course, i just meant 1980s to preset france was and is still an industrial top tier if not a leader, but no french new guns here.

wsr
04-11-2018, 11:37 AM
Ooooo, we're resorting to making fun of the French now, how original. Bravo.

Ehhh, it’s so easy

wsr
04-11-2018, 11:40 AM
No, I am not French. I'm Welsh, Scottish and English on both sides of my family as far back as can be traced.
The average French soldier is as brave as any other when well led. Unfortunately, they have been poorly led most of the time. In May of 1940,
the French had more and better tanks than the Germans. Two Panzer Divisions were actually issued Czech tanks. However, the French tanks (with the exception of a single Armored Division) were scattered among the Infantry Divisions. As with every other army at the time, they were assuming for a repeat of WWI, and had no answer for the German mobile tactics.

As for the availability of French guns, the French refurbish and hold replaced arms in reserve against future need. Quite a few (MAS36, MAS36/51, MAS44, MAS49, and MAS49/46) were imported in the 80s and early 90s. The rest were destroyed under EU policy.

All soldiers are not the same...how they act and perform is a reflection of their culture

Kaeto
04-11-2018, 11:54 AM
The French had the best tank in WW I. The Renault FT 17.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/izetta/images/e/e4/Renault_ft_17_by_ogurki-d48t7zn.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170420141238

buckcz
04-11-2018, 06:28 PM
The French had the best tank in WW I. The Renault FT 17.

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/izetta/images/e/e4/Renault_ft_17_by_ogurki-d48t7zn.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20170420141238

Is that the French tank with twleve gears? One that goes forward and eleven that go in reverse? 8)

MichMass
04-11-2018, 06:29 PM
I did not bring up yorktown, someone else did.

I agree and the help was to spite the brits, not out of benevolence, or values, it was pure hate of the brits.

I know you didn't bring up Yorktown but am too ignorant to put two quotes in my replies. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

AM1958
04-11-2018, 06:41 PM
Is that the French tank with twleve gears? One that goes forward and eleven that go in reverse? 8)

You're thinking of the WWII Italian tanks...

<ducking and weaving>

dirtmcgirt76239
04-11-2018, 07:29 PM
I know you didn't bring up Yorktown but am too ignorant to put two quotes in my replies. I apologize for the misunderstanding.

no worries, just wanted to make sure if you wanted an answer to ask the right guy.