View Full Version : Sully's first deer.

huntmeister
02-09-2009, 10:21 PM
Sully's my dog!!! My Deer tracking dog!

Rich, the buck and Sully
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo152/huntmeisterer/sully1.jpg

Seamus Sullivan "Sully"
http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/oo152/huntmeisterer/sully2.jpg

Just got the pics from a november hunt where a friend of mine who i will just call Rich, shot this nice 9 point buck, he slug shot it, behind the left shoulder, low, the slug traveled from the front lung area towards the rear into the paunch, slug did not exit and we found inside the deer after my jack russell dog "sully" sucessfully tracked it, Sully's first time tracking a deer.

The full story of Sully's first deer if interested.
So,
Where it was shot was large amount of frothy lung blood, but as R. tracked it the contents from the paunch plugged the hole,casuing little blood loss and only little droplets.

Buck traveled about 800 yards through downed corn field, then though woods and to the road, crossed the road onto a joining property, into and across a large winter wheat field.

My friend R. tracked blood trail to the road, and lost it in the wheat field where there was only one little drop about 1/2 inch round, and nothing more in or across the field.

The sun was set when I got the call, he asked if I could bring my Jack russell "Seamus sullivan" A.K.A. "Sully" for short,(just cause it's a cool irish name.) and help track his deer, I dont like to track at night, but with a dog and a bit of blood it's different then chasing shadows.
I Called up the caretaker of the property and got permisson to track the deer.
(Helps to stay neighborly)

Sully and I arrvied, about 45 minutes after the deer was shot. I got Sullly on the spot of blood and he pulled me to a swail on the edge of the wheat field and woods, as we got close one of our group shined the light about 30+ yards ahead of us and spotted the deer laying down, Alive.

It got up and ran.

I asked R. what he wanted to do and advised him that we probablly just pushed the deer another few hundred yards, if not more.
there was blood where the deer laid but not to much.

We decided to head back, I told R. that Sully will track him if he wanted to go back out in a few hours, So we got some pizzas, waited 2 hours and grouped up and headed back out to the spot where the Buck had laid.

I got sully on the blood and he trailed the deer with only about a drop of blood every 20-30 yards. Sully false trailed once in the woods when he got off track, and headed up a hill, I told the other's to go back to the last spot of blood cause I thought the flashlights swirling around might have thrown him off.

I then headed Sully,(this time just me and him), back down the hill, since he was not pulling me and just sniffing, and walking, plus most injured animals don't go up hill. Anyways, As we were heading back to the last drop of blood he turned and started pulling me through the woods, Sully found the Bucks trail again, and as Sully pulled me I kept the light behind him and would find small droplets of blood along the way.

This time he was on it and just pulling to find that deer. all of a sudden he stopped, I shinned the light ahead of us and saw a large pool of blood then, I shined the flashlight around and saw R.'s Buck laying dead no more then 5 yards to our front right, about 200 yards from where we had kicked it up in the swail. That was one tough Buck!!!

I yelled to R. "Hey R. found your deer" he came running to us, thanking not me but Sully, knowing R. would never have found that deer withou him.

The buck turned out to be a beautiful fat 9 pointer about 2 1/2 years old and Sully's first sucessfull deer track.

Sully also rabbit hunts by rousting out the rabbits from their brush piles.

327poc
02-19-2009, 05:13 PM
Sully also rabbit hunts by rousting out the rabbits from their brush piles.

And a fine job he does. I was impressed with how well that jack russell can work those piles. Hope we get a little snowfall and one more chance to get him out this year.

glock4life
02-22-2009, 10:18 AM
were did they shoot that deer jackson? nice job !!!

JohnJak
02-25-2009, 10:10 AM
It looks like your perm and hair coloring turned out to be a real disaster.

huntmeister
02-25-2009, 06:01 PM
It looks like your perm and hair coloring turned out to be a real disaster.

Thats Rich. he did'nt want his face shown. Im the one holding the leash to Sully the dog . LOL

ColonelKurtz
02-25-2009, 06:52 PM
Sully's my dog!!! My Deer tracking dog!

Ah, that makes sense. Sully (the pilot) doesn't seem like the type to post on the 'net a pic of a deer he got.

jklund38
03-11-2009, 08:23 AM
Looks like a nice little dog.