PDA

View Full Version : Turkey season

huntmeister
02-10-2009, 04:58 PM
Who here has the calls out of the fridge and is practiceing.

Im geeked and ready for opening morning, boxxes are chalked, vest is packed,gun is cleaned and oiled, new battery in the red dot, and dusted off the decoys.

Done Deal
02-10-2009, 06:47 PM
I haven't even thought about it yet but....with the snow melt, birds were wandering all over the place today.

Smokepole
02-10-2009, 07:09 PM
Had three Toms strutting out on M-72 two days ago, enjoying the sunshine.
...Smack in the middle of the right lane.
Vehicles were tooting their horns, and they just gobbled back, but didn't move off the highway.
...Gotta go that way tomorrow, so I'll look for feathers.
:lol:

327poc
02-10-2009, 08:04 PM
I'm not the best caller but I know you'll be there for me huntmeister. I'm ready for the big day.

Smokepole
02-10-2009, 08:10 PM
The key to a successful hunt is advanced scouting.
...Find the roosting tree, then pattern their movements early in the morning.

bigwillie
02-10-2009, 09:34 PM
It'll be my first time this spring, and yea I'm stoked, and hungry.

bigwillie
02-10-2009, 09:38 PM
Gonna need a good recipe from someone...

huntmeister
02-10-2009, 09:56 PM
I just pluck and gut slather olive oil all over it, cut the ends off large red onion stick it inside the bird with a few ice cubes, and in to the oven cook at 350 in a sealed roasting pan. for about two to three hours.( I guess you could one of those roasting bags if you like.)

Best to eat them fresh dont freeze it, that will be a waste of wrap and foil. and a bird.

As the bird cooks the ice melts and the onion cooks which the onion flavor lightly permiates into the turkey from the inside and the olive oil helps keep the moisture in the meat from the outside.

Has to be a big red onion though, any other will ruin it.

This is the only way I cook my wild trukey's

bigwillie
02-11-2009, 07:19 PM
I just pluck and gut slather olive oil all over it, cut the ends off large red onion stick it inside the bird with a few ice cubes, and in to the oven cook at 350 in a sealed roasting pan. for about two to three hours.( I guess you could one of those roasting bags if you like.)

Best to eat them fresh dont freeze it, that will be a waste of wrap and foil. and a bird.

As the bird cooks the ice melts and the onion cooks which the onion flavor lightly permiates into the turkey from the inside and the olive oil helps keep the moisture in the meat from the outside.

Has to be a big red onion though, any other will ruin it.

This is the only way I cook my wild trukey's

Huh, Sounds easy enuff. Thanks Will

Smokepole
02-11-2009, 07:49 PM
Never heard about the red onion technique, but it seems logical, I'll try it next time.
...Wild Turkey has more dark meat, which I prefer, but it is naturally a leaner, sometimes drier meat as well.
...When I cook wild turkey, I try to smoke it slowly in my propane Brinkman smoker, using the "wet" method with a water tray below the bird. I put about a cup of Bourbon in the water. Before I use the water in this manner, I will have already soaked mesquite, or hickory wood chips in that water/bourbon mix until they are waterlogged fully, and sink to the bottom.
Before I put the water bath into the smoker, I strain out the wood chips, and keep them in a bowl, and add a few at a time over the hot lava rocks below the water bath. The burners of course are below the lava rocks
...The waterlogged wood chips smoke slowly, and the water bath prevents the bird from drying out in the smoker.
...Then, I lather the bird in Mayonnaise, and put Hickory flavored bacon strips across the top of it for a self basting flavor.
...Sometimes, but not always, I make a paste out of Gray Poupon, dark molasses, melted butter, and crushed garlic, and of course a bit more Bourbon.This all gets brushed over the bird about every fifteen minutes.
...The end result is a beautiful browned, but moist bird, and an empty fifth of bourbon!
Cheers!

huntmeister
02-12-2009, 03:28 PM
Never heard about the red onion technique, but it seems logical, I'll try it next time.
...Wild Turkey has more dark meat, which I prefer, but it is naturally a leaner, sometimes drier meat as well.
...When I cook wild turkey, I try to smoke it slowly in my propane Brinkman smoker, using the "wet" method with a water tray below the bird. I put about a cup of Bourbon in the water. Before I use the water in this manner, I will have already soaked mesquite, or hickory wood chips in that water/bourbon mix until they are waterlogged fully, and sink to the bottom.
Before I put the water bath into the smoker, I strain out the wood chips, and keep them in a bowl, and add a few at a time over the hot lava rocks below the water bath. The burners of course are below the lava rocks
...The waterlogged wood chips smoke slowly, and the water bath prevents the bird from drying out in the smoker.
...Then, I lather the bird in Mayonnaise, and put Hickory flavored bacon strips across the top of it for a self basting flavor.
...Sometimes, but not always, I make a paste out of Gray Poupon, dark molasses, melted butter, and crushed garlic, and of course a bit more Bourbon.This all gets brushed over the bird about every fifteen minutes.
...The end result is a beautiful browned, but moist bird, and an empty fifth of bourbon!
Cheers!

That sounds so good!!!!! printed and saved. for use with my smoker. I got a brinkman that is 4 in 1 smoker grill, propane or charcoal, and can use burner for deep frying pot.

Smokepole
02-12-2009, 04:45 PM
That sounds so good!!!!! printed and saved. for use with my smoker. I got a brinkman that is 4 in 1 smoker grill, propane or charcoal, and can use burner for deep frying pot.
...Don't be afraid to experiment a little with that paste concoction I described. I use honey a lot too, instead of the molasses.I often find myself getting "creative" as I go, depending on the residual supply of that Bourbon!

Just A Girl
03-07-2009, 02:50 PM
Chicken Fried Wild Turkey

1" x 2-3" pieces
4 part dunk
1--milk
2--flour
3--egg
4--bread crumbs, salt, pepper, parsley,

Cooked in peanut oil

jklund38
03-11-2009, 08:17 AM
They're still in big flocks by us yet, hopefully they break apart soon. I can't wait.