PDA

View Full Version : Are red dot pistol sights really ready?

elwarpo
06-20-2017, 08:50 PM
I have three and like (Deltapoint Pro, Trijicon RM05 -Dual illumination, Trijicon RM06 - LED). What I worry about is how tough they are and will they last. What worries me is the warranty on the electronics:
Leupold 2 Years electronics, lifetime rest
Trijicon 5 years electronics, lifetime rest
SIG 5 year electronics, lifetime rest
Aimpoint 2 years or 10 years depending on use
Vortex Lifetime
Burris Lifetime

Most of the high end red dots, only have a 2 or 5 year warranty, and that has me concerned since they feel it will fail. The lower level sights have the lifetime warranty, and expect to replace them over time. I really do not want to drop $400-600 on a sight that is only goof or a few years. The Burris and Vortex, just do not have the quality of optics to make them a good choice.

What do you think

wsr
06-20-2017, 09:10 PM
no answers from me but what kind of battery life are you getting with the delta pro

Shyster
06-20-2017, 09:14 PM
Vortex RAZR line is just as good as Trijicon, Aimpoint and IMO better that Leupold.

crankythunder
06-21-2017, 06:40 AM
I do bullseye competition and the red dots you see on the firing line are:

Ultra Dot (any type)
Aimpoint 9000 (either the short or long one)

On some of the older guns, the old aimpoint 3000

Generally, if you want lighter weight you go with the ultra dot. If you need a heavier scope, the aimpoint is the red dot of choice. Last year at perry, the army marksmanship unit was using the aimpoint with a couple of ultra dots.

I personally have competed with the aimpoint for over 10 years of constant weekly use. The battery is rated for a couple years constant on use and I have yet to replace the battery yet.

Regards,
Crankster

elwarpo
06-21-2017, 09:25 AM

Ultra Dot (any type)

Generally, if you want lighter weight you go with the ultra dot. If you need a heavier scope, the aimpoint is the red dot of choice. Last year at perry, the army marksmanship unit was using the aimpoint with a couple of ultra dots.

I personally have competed with the aimpoint for over 10 years of constant weekly use. The battery is rated for a couple years constant on use and I have yet to replace the battery yet.

Regards,
Crankster

I have 2 ultradot 2s for target shooting and love them. I was talking about the micro ones like the RMR and Deltapoint Pro for concealed carry/defense. Needing reading glasses for close up but having good distance vision, I can not use iron sights, so started looking into red dots. I really like the RM05 since there are no electronics, it uses tritium and fiber optics. Not quite as bright as the RM06 but good enough.

elwarpo
06-21-2017, 09:28 AM
Vortex RAZR line is just as good as Trijicon, Aimpoint and IMO better that Leupold.

Maybe I had a bad one, but the one I used was fisheyed around the edges. I guess I will have to look into them again.

EDIT: I tried the viper or venom not the razor, will have to try one.

DrScaryGuy
06-22-2017, 08:59 AM

Ultra Dot (any type)

Regards,
Crankster

the old aimpoints?
still?
I picked up a 1000 for peanuts at a gun show. It has bounced from 22 to 22 for a while. control knob was slipping but I managed to epoxy that solid again.