PDA

View Full Version : Spotting Scope, need advice selecting the proper one for my needs.

VIGILANT
07-12-2017, 11:28 PM
I want to buy a spotting scope that would be good for seeing 5.56mm hits on paper targets 100-200 yards. I'm buying this for my son. I want something good, no junk. Any helpful suggestions would be appreciated.

crankythunder
07-13-2017, 04:49 AM
Hey vigilant:

As a long time competitor, I have had the pleasure to pear through some very expensive optics on the competition line. I can tell you that I am not alone in my view that when I ask myself, "Why did I buy this spotter for a thousand when I can see my bullet holes through my Leupold rifle scope better?"

With that being said, all my competition rifles have Leupold riflescopes, from the 6.5x20x40 up to the 36x leupold.

the 6.5x20x40 eer leupold rifle scope is an incredible piece of glass.

Anyways, if you want the best, go with the Kowa spotter scopes. Get the big one if you are a rifle shooter, the small one if you are a pistol shooter, and if you do both, get the small one with both the variable long eye relief eyepiece for pistol and then higher power non variable 24 power eyepiece for rifle.

Personally, I sold my Kowa because it was just another piece to drag to the range that I was not using. I replaced it with a cheaper 20x60x100 spotter for rifle when I need a spotter and a cheapo old champions choice house brand pistol box scope. They are definitely not as good as my old Kowa but I did not need that level of clarity with the rifle scopes I had. Of course, sometimes you need a spotter but for me, that is not too frequent so I got the cheap one. If you want to know the brand name let me know, I can take a look when I get home.

Regards,
Crankster

Ol` Joe
07-13-2017, 07:41 AM
Kowa is the name I see most often when the CMP shooters at my club are set up, there are a few Leupolds in there too though. They shoot out to 600 yds when they can so they must be pretty critical of their equipment.
My mid-priced Burris shows holes from my 204 Ruger @ 200meters if the light is right some times in the black, the white or on some colored bulls show pretty regularlly. Holes in the black are of course much harder to spot then ones in the white and it takes a pretty good glass to mark hits there regularly. You might check the long range benchrest or F class boards as a start and see what they use. Those guys are pretty critical of their equipment. Keep in mind the higher the magnification the more mirage shows and it can make seeing a hit iffy real quick even with good optics if it heavy. 60X IMO is not better then 40X on a nice sunny afternoon.

10x25mm
07-13-2017, 07:46 AM
Exactly what spotting scope will satisfy your needs depends upon a lot of secondary issues, like what kind of targets you shoot on, how good is your eyesight, and what kind of lighting you typically have. Here is a good paper on spotting scope resolution which may help you:

https://www.twincityrodandgun.com/docs/ScopeRes-Mag1.pdf

You will probably find that you need a spotting scope with an 80mm to 100mm objective and a magnification above 45x to see touching 5.56mm bullet holes at 200 yards in good light, in the target white space. These can be pretty expensive, but Schmidt-Cassegrain (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Schmidt-Cassegrain_telescope) or Maksutov (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maksutov_telescope) catadioptric reflectiors in this size range can deliver equal performance at much lower cost.

An old Celestron C90 (https://www.amazon.com/Celestron-52268-Spotting-scope-Black/dp/B0038QYRDO?SubscriptionId=AKIAILSHYYTFIVPWUY6Q&tag=duckduckgo-ffsb-20&linkCode=xm2&camp=2025&creative=165953&creativeASIN=B0038QYRDO) with a 25mm eyepiece works for me. This delivers 50x magnification through a 90mm objective lens. These high powered scopes require really secure mounts to take advantage of their magnification. I spent more on a Manfrotto column clamp (https://www.manfrotto.us/column-clamp) setup than my scope and it was well worth the money.

JohnS624
07-13-2017, 05:22 PM
Kowa is the name I see most often when the CMP shooters at my club are set up, there are a few Leupolds in there too though. They shoot out to 600 yds when they can so they must be pretty critical of their equipment.
Just to clarify, Highpower shooters only use the scope to see holes at 200 and 300yds. At 500 and 600 it's only used to see spindles (hole markers) and to judge crosswinds for sight adjustments.

Viking
07-17-2017, 09:58 PM
Might boil down to eyesight but at 100yds I can see clear punches with 20 magnification. Variable magnification is very useful, allows focus balance field of view (being able to see target and surrounding) against magnification (being able to see punches that hit or missed paper) I can make out 556 with a 20 magnification scope. Can't see Anything much smaller than that though.

DP425
07-17-2017, 10:18 PM
You need to toss out a price range you're looking to stay within. My first inclination is to suggest something north of $1000 as a baseline and work up from there; if you're looking more for $200, the suggestions will be very different. Actually, I wouldn't even make any at that price point since I know nothing about low-end options.

BarnDweller
07-17-2017, 10:45 PM
I used to use a spotting scope 50 to 200 yards, I would have to take off my glasses to see through it and then put them back on fighting with my ear protection. It was a hassle for me. I shoot for enjoyment not competition or anything like that. I purchased a Bullseye Camera System. I was unhappy it took 6 weeks to get it and to my pocket it was expensive (350$). Now that I have used it some I am very happy I purchased it.

It is a self contained camera, router, and battery pack in a ammo can. It transmits a signal to my smart phone and its software is nice for watching groups. I can be shooting at a target that is shot up pretty bad and still see my last 3 shots or whatever number I choose. This is their website if you are interested with some videos.
https://www.bullseyecamera.com/

Shyster
07-17-2017, 11:08 PM
I used to use a spotting scope 50 to 200 yards, I would have to take off my glasses to see through it and then put them back on fighting with my ear protection. It was a hassle for me. I shoot for enjoyment not competition or anything like that. I purchased a Bullseye Camera System. I was unhappy it took 6 weeks to get it and to my pocket it was expensive (350$). Now that I have used it some I am very happy I purchased it.

It is a self contained camera, router, and battery pack in a ammo can. It transmits a signal to my smart phone and its software is nice for watching groups. I can be shooting at a target that is shot up pretty bad and still see my last 3 shots or whatever number I choose. This is their website if you are interested with some videos.

I might have to get me one of those!

VIGILANT
07-18-2017, 06:02 AM
I should have clarified, my son will not have a scope on his AR, only iron sights, or possible a red-dot. That's why the need for a spotting scope.

Viking
07-18-2017, 04:03 PM

That is Very cool, I then noticed it is placed down range with the target and not in itself a spotting scope, I wonder how commercial ranges / RSOs view them? I know something like that is largely not covered in most range rules, so it becomes up to the active RSO to make a decision. I guess it's time for me to get property I can build my own range on. :p

Leader
07-18-2017, 05:45 PM
That is Very cool, I then noticed it is placed down range with the target and not in itself a spotting scope, I wonder how commercial ranges / RSOs view them? I know something like that is largely not covered in most range rules, so it becomes up to the active RSO to make a decision. I guess it's time for me to get property I can build my own range on. :p

From what I've seen (even here on my own range) anything put down range IS going to get SHOT.

Viking
07-18-2017, 08:19 PM
From what I've seen (even here on my own range) anything put down range IS going to get SHOT.

Which is why I said place it on my own, the original revision of my post was a much more negative light on not being able to use it anywhere, anything put on a public range gets treated like a target.. although on a private range a small bunker/sand berm could be made to protect it.

Leader
07-18-2017, 08:26 PM
Which is why I said place it on my own, the original revision of my post was a much more negative light on not being able to use it anywhere, anything put on a public range gets treated like a target.. although on a private range a small bunker/sand berm could be made to protect it.

I made the mistake of thinking common sense would protect a staple gun...... it didn't.
(on my private range)

jmoser
07-19-2017, 06:08 AM
Last summer I got a Kowa 66mm with straight eyepiece for $425 or so new online. Watch for deals, they exist. I already had an older TS series 60mm angled; eyepieces interchange so it was a great opportunity. My 60x zoom eyepiece can see the holes at 200 but you still need good light. Highly recommend the Kowas; would love an 80mm but budget doesnt allow.

elwarpo
07-19-2017, 10:10 AM
Do you have a scoped rifle? I have been known to use my long range riflescope as a spotting scope. I use detachable bases and zero is almost right on, the most it has been off before and after zero is about 1/2" windage at 100 yards.

JohnS624
07-19-2017, 11:13 AM
On good days. I used to be able to see .223 holes in the white at 200yds with my Nikon Buckmaster 4.5-14 riflescope. That being said, I second the vote for a Kowa.

Remo
07-19-2017, 06:13 PM

1/2" thick ar500 steel box would protect it. :rocketla:

holtian
07-30-2017, 08:31 PM
I've used the bullseye camera thing and they work great. They have them for use at Pontiac lake for free if you want to try them out. They just hold onto your drivers license while you use it to make sure it doesn't grow legs and walk. Also the company offers a warranty for any accident damage. They even make a extended range model.

WilliamGentner
08-04-2017, 07:54 AM
A great spotting scope for 200 yards plus would be the $200 Leupold SX-1 Ventana 15-45X60. Although the power range is comparable to what’s needed for 100 yards, the optical quality is better with fully multi-coated optics, and it’s from a trusted, reputable brand.

VIGILANT
08-04-2017, 12:13 PM
I've been considering the Vanguard ENDEAVOR HD 82A (About $500). Vanguard has been known for many years their tripods. The specs look excellent for the price. Anyone familiar with them?

VANGUARD SPOTTING SCOPES
http://www.vanguardworld.us/hunting_us/products/spotting-scopes.html