PDA

View Full Version : WD-40

MI2600
02-12-2009, 10:32 AM
Does WD-40 get gummy?

I've been slowly cleaning my stuff after several years of non-use. Yesterday, I cracked open a double barrel and it was stiff. I found gummy residue where the barrels and action meet and also on the hinge. I don't know if it was from some prior gun grease or from some WD-40 that was sprayed on years ago. I know...I know, I took the lazy man's route in years past.

Comments?

dougwg
02-12-2009, 10:35 AM
WD-40 SUCKS! Always has always will.

I use Break Free.

WD-40 is for cleaning not storage.

Rig-Rags with Rig grease works great too.

halik008
02-12-2009, 10:40 AM
Nope. WD-40 evaporates quickly to almost nothingness. Only use WD-40 for water displacement!

Rugergirl
02-12-2009, 11:16 AM
Do a little home experiement. spray some WD 40 on some metal and let it sit undisturbed for about a week. Then take a clean white cloth and wipe the metal. Decide for yourself if you want to use it on your gun. If you have pets or dust at home I'll bet you won't.

esq_stu
02-12-2009, 11:21 AM
From what I have read, WD-40 will ruin primers. If you want your ammo to go bang, keep WD-40 away from ammo. And keep it away from reloading components. I don't use it in or near my guns.

who dat
02-12-2009, 11:23 AM
Do a little home experiement. spray some WD 40 on some metal and let it sit undisturbed for about a week. Then take a clean white cloth and wipe the metal. Decide for yourself if you want to use it on your gun. If you have pets or dust at home I'll bet you won't.
Sounds nasty. The other thing about WD40 is that it's mostly propellant, propane propellant at that. Highly explosive when exposed to places where you might want to use it... like engine compartments. A far better item to get electrical items dried out is LPS 1. There are also several other grades of LPS for different jobs.

MI2600
02-12-2009, 11:59 AM
OK...how about Kroil? Some of these guns haven't been used in 20 years and might not be used for another 20. I once used gun grease for long term storage, but that was a problem unto itself.

dougwg
02-12-2009, 12:40 PM
Kroil is GREAT for it's intended purpose but short term and long term storage is not it.

wombat12
02-12-2009, 03:38 PM
If they are going to go untouched for 20 years, you need cosmolene!

dpgperftest
02-12-2009, 03:44 PM
well lets see at deer camp i have a gun srayed with WD40 ans its in a HIGH HIGH and very damp for 10 years now when i go to use it i spray it wipe down and it looks NEW

karcent
02-12-2009, 04:01 PM
For long term storage use Breakfree Collector or Rig. Store long guns muzzle down to keep oil from running into your buttstock and weakening the wood.
WD-40 has no place near firearms.
Kroil is probably the best penetrating oil in the world. Great for removing surface rust, loosening stuck threads and cleaning carbon from bores, but it is a lousy lubricant and does little to protect metal.

dpgperftest
02-12-2009, 04:54 PM
yah i didnot say use for a lube and not a CLEANER . i use it and its been the only thing that works and its never hurt the wood it gets so damp at the cabin that the gun gets a film of water on it and never rusts :cannon: PS. IT IS WHAT IT IS!!

MI2600
02-12-2009, 05:44 PM
In the continuing saga, I found more gummy residue in a Win 92. More to go.

Anyway, I was thinking of a light lithium grease...just a light coat. But I've seen that harder too...in 30-40 years on old car parts.

dhrith
02-12-2009, 07:47 PM
WD40 is not very good for what you're paying for it. Several products out there that will do anything it can plus more with less negative side effects.

karcent
02-13-2009, 08:19 AM
WD-40 for lube? That's just funny.
It's basicly kerosene and has NO lubricity.

It's 2009.

soulfixinman
02-14-2009, 11:08 PM
I saw a video of a guy using WD-40 to clean his gun,
he sprayed all the usual areas that would have gun shot residue
wiped it down and then used compressed air to blow it all out.
After that he lubed the gun.
So I guess he used it as a solvent.

soulfixinman
03-28-2009, 05:58 PM
I now use Marvel Mystery oil...works great!

enfield
03-28-2009, 08:45 PM
Gummy heck!

When WD40 is done 'curing' it turns into a brown varnish.

I use it to remove crayon marks from the refrigerator.

Mike1979
03-29-2009, 12:49 PM
In the continuing saga, I found more gummy residue in a Win 92. More to go.

Anyway, I was thinking of a light lithium grease...just a light coat. But I've seen that harder too...in 30-40 years on old car parts.

White lithium will be a nightmare to clean, we use the stuff at wotk and in a few months time it will become hard and tough to clean up.

MLG
03-29-2009, 01:44 PM
Has anyone used EEzox? I've just used it for the first time and have read some good stuff about it. It seems to rate at least as good as Breakfree for Lub and Cleaning but out performs Breakfree on Rust Protection.

Interested in opinions and thoughts.

TeamAFX
03-29-2009, 07:16 PM
When we shoot guns till they are red hot we spray them down with G96. The stuff works great. I have used WD40 to spray them down for the ride home. It will get a varnish on the gun that will need to be cleaned off.

JohnJak
03-30-2009, 02:54 PM
WD 40 is a fish oil base.

dpgperftest
03-30-2009, 06:15 PM
When we shoot guns till they are red hot we spray them down with G96. The stuff works great. I have used WD40 to spray them down for the ride home. It will get a varnish on the gun that will need to be cleaned off.

thank thats why i use it, if i put the toys a way for the winter or longer thats what i use it for

fbuckner
03-30-2009, 06:31 PM
Nope. WD-40 evaporates quickly to almost nothingness. Only use WD-40 for water displacement!

This is not true one of the ingredients in it is very gummy and once all the solvent is evaporated it sticks around. I would tell you what that ingredient is but I would lose my job for giving up trade secrets.

iu2sw
03-30-2009, 06:33 PM
Glad i read this about WD40

TeamAFX
03-30-2009, 06:44 PM
It also works great to remove cosmoline from gun parts. I just buy it in the 1 gallon can. WD40 still has its uses. There are better cleaners out there now but I will still use it.

dpgperftest
03-30-2009, 07:13 PM
hmmm WD40 last deer hunting it rained so hard my 12ga was wet water driping from camber and barel .I sprayed WD40 inside and out and put it in its case well i open it today amd it looks like new.yes it will get gummy just need to clean next nov 15 th maybe

Southern Comfort
03-30-2009, 09:46 PM
I use CLP for all my firearms short and long term storage. I fell in love with in while I was in the army

dpgperftest
03-30-2009, 10:01 PM
I use CLP for all my firearms short and long term storage. I fell in love with in while I was in the army

that what i use it clean and lube when in use .it may have been you that told me about it ??? or from someone out here love it its good stuff

ZYA_LTR
04-06-2009, 10:16 AM
Another thing....Read the ingredients for WD40, it contains silica..i.e. SAND, i never put the stuff near my firearms. I would rather use CLP, or my homemade "Ed's Red" solution. Look it up online, works great for cleaning, and removing cosmoline and gunk. Soak the action overnight(minus wood/plastic parts. and blow it off and let it dry, voila, clean and rust free.

who dat
04-06-2009, 10:25 AM
Another thing....Read the ingredients for WD40, it contains silica..i.e. SAND, i never put the stuff near my firearms. I would rather use CLP, or my homemade "Ed's Red" solution. Look it up online, works great for cleaning, and removing cosmoline and gunk. Soak the action overnight(minus wood/plastic parts. and blow it off and let it dry, voila, clean and rust free.
That isn't on the MSDS, do you have a reference for that?

ZYA_LTR
04-07-2009, 09:24 AM
That isn't on the MSDS, do you have a reference for that?

Last time i read the can, it was listed in the ingredients.......But since i never buy the stuff anymore, they might have discontinued the use of silica, but i know it was used in it. Trapper Gun in Roseville also swears to not use WD40 for the same reason, he was where i originally heard about the silica.

who dat
04-07-2009, 09:26 AM
Last time i read the can, it was listed in the ingredients.......But since i never buy the stuff anymore, they might have discontinued the use of silica, but i know it was used in it. Trapper Gun in Roseville also swears to not use WD40 for the same reason, he was where i originally heard about the silica.
The MSDS has a reference to "other" that makes up 10% of the total. It must be in there.

HK USP
04-07-2009, 12:58 PM
if you re apply with out cleaning first it will form a gum!!!

HK USP
04-07-2009, 12:59 PM
The MSDS has a reference to "other" that makes up 10% of the total. It must be in there.
Do you think he may maybe mean silicone???

DOUGHBOY RACING
04-07-2009, 02:32 PM
I use Birchwood Casey Synthetic Gun Oil, it comes with a Teflon additive and that stuff is the whip. A gun does not stiffen action wise in the winter and after sitting over a year the oil will come off on your fingertips

who dat
04-08-2009, 07:01 AM
Do you think he may maybe mean silicone???
Yeah, that was my first thought.

TAC
04-08-2009, 09:26 AM
Formulation

WD-40's main ingredients, according to U.S. Material Safety Data Sheet (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Material_Safety_Data_Sheet) information, are:
50%: Stoddard solvent (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stoddard_solvent) (i.e., mineral spirits (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_spirits) -- primarily hexane (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexane), somewhat similar to kerosene)
25%: Liquified petroleum gas (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Liquified_petroleum_gas) (presumably as a propellant; carbon dioxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide) is now used instead to reduce WD-40's considerable flammability)
15+%: Mineral oil (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mineral_oil) (light lubricating oil)
10-%: Inert ingredientsThe German version of the mandatory EU safety sheet lists the following safety relevant ingredients:
60-80%: Heavy Naphtha (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Naphtha) (petroleum product), hydrogen (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydrogen) treated
1-5%: Carbon dioxide (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide)[source]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/WD-40

Missahba
04-19-2009, 10:56 PM
If it's late and I'm at a tent camp during deer season, I'll spray my rifle down with WD40 to get the water off after hunting in the rain or heavy snow. Call me lazy, but I'm there to hunt not tinker with my weapons. Spray it down, wipe it down, let it air out.

Break Free might do the same, I haven't tried it.

I don't use WD for lubrication or storage though. I've had guns develop rust after being stored with only a WD40 spray.

who dat
04-20-2009, 06:43 AM
If it's late and I'm at a tent camp during deer season, I'll spray my rifle down with WD40 to get the water off after hunting in the rain or heavy snow. Call me lazy, but I'm there to hunt not tinker with my weapons. Spray it down, wipe it down, let it air out.

Break Free might do the same, I haven't tried it.

I don't use WD for lubrication or storage though. I've had guns develop rust after being stored with only a WD40 spray.
LPS...remember those initials.