PDA

View Full Version : Possible scope selection

Remo
07-15-2017, 10:46 AM
I might be scope shopping in the next couple months. This would be for a .308 DPMS Gen II Hunter. Currently it has a Nikon 3-9x40 on it , which would be fine for hunting. What I would like is a scope for longer range and smaller targets. I'm thinking 18x-20x power for high, most scopes that I've seen in that range are 4x-6x on the low side and would still be ok for hunting.

Here are some I'm looking at, $500 is absolute max price.

Nikon Prostaff 7 Rifle Scope, 5-20X 50, 30mm BDC or Nikoplex $500

Nikon MONARCH 3 5-20x44 , 30mm DBC or NikoPlex $500

Vortex VIPER 6.5-20X50 , 30mm ,Mil-Dot $385

Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 ,1" Mil-Dot $325

I would like other suggestions as I don't know alot about scopes yet.

crankythunder
07-15-2017, 11:58 AM
If you can stretch your budget a touch, try the Leupold 6.5x20x40 eer scope.

It is the preferred scope for three position small bore, I have two of them and have never been wanting for optical quality and they are very versatile.

Personally, I would be hesitant to go larger then a 40 mm objective, and feel that a 50 mm objective is just way too big.

Regards,
Crankster

Remo
07-15-2017, 12:20 PM
If you can stretch your budget a touch, try the Leupold 6.5x20x40 eer scope.

It is the preferred scope for three position small bore, I have two of them and have never been wanting for optical quality and they are very versatile.

Personally, I would be hesitant to go larger then a 40 mm objective, and feel that a 50 mm objective is just way too big.

Regards,
Crankster

What's the downside to a larger objective lens?

JohnJak
07-15-2017, 12:58 PM

It'll look like a spotting scope.

Remo
07-15-2017, 01:37 PM
It'll look like a spotting scope.

So no downside then. I was expecting someone to say they are heavy.

I would think that a larger lens would gather more light for a better picture.

Roundballer
07-15-2017, 02:24 PM

Possible issues are:
Higher mount over bore causing issues with comb height and good cheek-weld problems.
Of course, generally heaver.

Everything is a trade off, it is going to be a matter of what you want and what you can get to work for you.

Remo
07-15-2017, 04:59 PM
Possible issues are:
Higher mount over bore causing issues with comb height and good cheek-weld problems.
Of course, generally heaver.

Everything is a trade off, it is going to be a matter of what you want and what you can get to work for you.

Makes sense, I'll research more. Go ahead and make more suggestions. $500 and under.

Ol` Joe
07-15-2017, 06:38 PM
http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Leupold-VX-2-6-18x40mm-Adj.-Obj.---Fine-Duplex-leupold&catalog[product_guids][0]=1354260

crankythunder
07-15-2017, 06:58 PM
The larger objective makes the gun top heavy and takes a finely crafted precision instrument and turns it into a yard rake with a heavy coating of asphalt cement. Unless you are doing benchrest, a large heavy scope really screws up the handling characteristics of a rifle that was once a joy to carry in the field.

Remo
07-15-2017, 07:06 PM
http://cameralandny.com/spec-sheet.html?catalog[name]=Leupold-VX-2-6-18x40mm-Adj.-Obj.---Fine-Duplex-leupold&catalog[product_guids][0]=1354260
Currently watching that scope on eBay. $237 less than 2 hours to go.

The larger objective makes the gun top heavy and takes a finely crafted precision instrument and turns it into a yard rake with a heavy coating of asphalt cement. Unless you are doing benchrest, a large heavy scope really screws up the handling characteristics of a rifle that was once a joy to carry in the field.

That is a good point, I do shoot off hand at the larger steel fairly often.

dstallguy
07-15-2017, 08:49 PM
Currently watching that scope on eBay. $237 less than 2 hours to go.

That is a good point, I do shoot off hand at the larger steel fairly often.

Cabelas price matched that Vortex 6-20x50 you listed...for $319 plus tax and free shipping. Search MGO for "Vortex" for the link

Remo
07-15-2017, 09:10 PM
Cabelas price matched that Vortex 6-20x50 you listed...for $319 plus tax and free shipping. Search MGO for "Vortex" for the link

Thanks , good catch. That might be worth getting for just because. If I don't like it for the .308 , I have other rifles to put it on. I'll have to think about that one.

Remo
07-15-2017, 09:16 PM
No need for Cabela to price match, shipping is free at Camera LandNy. If I had a Cabela store close to me it would be a different story.

Remo
07-15-2017, 09:40 PM
Ordered that Vortex. For that price why not, can always sell it if I hate it.

dstallguy
07-16-2017, 01:46 PM
No need for Cabela to price match, shipping is free at Camera LandNy. If I had a Cabela store close to me it would be a different story.
If you have Cabelas points you can use them. Can't use points at the NY store

Remo
07-16-2017, 02:52 PM
If you have Cabelas points you can use them. Can't use points at the NY store

Those I don't have.

IraqVet1982
07-16-2017, 07:07 PM
I might be scope shopping in the next couple months. This would be for a .308 DPMS Gen II Hunter. Currently it has a Nikon 3-9x40 on it , which would be fine for hunting. What I would like is a scope for longer range and smaller targets. I'm thinking 18x-20x power for high, most scopes that I've seen in that range are 4x-6x on the low side and would still be ok for hunting.

Here are some I'm looking at, $500 is absolute max price.

Nikon Prostaff 7 Rifle Scope, 5-20X 50, 30mm BDC or Nikoplex $500

Nikon MONARCH 3 5-20x44 , 30mm DBC or NikoPlex $500

Vortex VIPER 6.5-20X50 , 30mm ,Mil-Dot $385

Burris Fullfield II 6.5-20x50 ,1" Mil-Dot $325

I would like other suggestions as I don't know alot about scopes yet.

What do you consider longer range?

Remo
07-16-2017, 07:30 PM
Depends on target size. For me with my current 3-9x scope a 6" target at 200 yards starts to get tuff. My range is out to 300 yards. I would like to get some use out of my smaller targets from that range. I have 2"-10" gongs and a 12x20 silhouette. I'd like to start banging the 3,4,6 at 300 yards, just can't see those with a 9x.

Langford
07-16-2017, 09:42 PM
Personally, I wouldn't want a higher magnification scope with a small objective diameter. Smaller objective equals a smaller exit pupil diameter, so you'll have a darker image at higher power. My hunting rifle has a 56mm objective scope on it, and I've never had an issue with the balance or issues carrying it. For target shooting, you'll likely be on a rest or bipods, so it's even less of a possible issue.

Remo
07-17-2017, 05:19 AM
Both arguments on objective lens size are valid. Being that I'll spend a fair amount of time at the higher end of mag I went with the 50mm. We'll see how this Vortex scope goes, for the price it's worth a try. I'll leave this thread open for discussion though.

Viking
07-17-2017, 09:53 PM
On a note of the objective lens sizes: Downside to larger objective lenses is sometimes increased spacing between axis of line of sight vs line of fire for example requiring larger spacing rings to lift scope so the 50 clears the barrel/hand guard etc more than the 40 requires, this might only be Important to know for zeroing and range / elevation adjustments, but that's not always pertinent as you may be mounting the 40 lens to the same offset. It's also important because a larger objective lenses forcing taller scope rings could elevate the scope above your comfortable/ muscle memory / cheek weld, but the rifle has some variables there too. I have a 5-20x50 on my 308 but it's frequently rolled over to 20 magnification and I feel that I've got a decent field of view. Ideally the larger objective lenses will capture a better range of light for less than optimal lighting conditions (dawn/dusk/cloudy etc) some larger lenses will afford you a slightly better field of view but that boils down to the manufacture. I know I'm not recommending anything specific, but hopefully the information could help make a decision. Everything else is warranty, features, reputation/recommendation, and what ends up fitting you as the rifle fits you.