PDA

View Full Version : Vortex Razor AMG...opinions?

Langford
07-20-2017, 11:13 AM
I've got the itch for some new glass, and I'm liking what I've seen of the Vortex Razor AMG. Being really the only scope 100% manufactured and assembled in the US draws me towards it.

So does anybody have experience with this scope? I'm looking to upgrade from the Burris XTR2 5-25 to the AMG 6-24, it'll be going on a 6.5 Grendel AR long range plinker if that matters. The reviews I've read have been very positive, but with all of the "paid positive reviews" online these days, I'd like to see some actual unbiased owner feedback. I know the AMG comes with Vortex's 100% warranty, but is this scope as prone to needing to use that warranty as some of the others they produce? There are a lot of very nice scopes in this same price point, both European and Japanese made...so what makes this stand out above the rest, other than being 100% made in the states?

04JRB
08-05-2017, 11:05 AM
I dont have 1st hand experience with the AMG, only looked through one at the range. I do own a Razor 4.5-27, and the image quality was so close that I couldnt tell the difference with my eyes.

I would go over to snipershide, there are a few threads there in the optics section on the AMG. They are more focused on precision optics there than here.

42769vette
08-07-2017, 05:52 AM
I am a Vortex dealer, and a Burris dealer, so technically I am one of those paid reviews. The AMG is going to have much better glass. The glass is reported to be better than the 4.5-27, but like 04RB, I personally can not see the difference. IMO If there is a difference its so tight you would need a computer to see it. Between the AMG and Burris, is going to be night and day. If your looking to save some weight go the the AMG, if you dont care about the weight go the the 4.5-27. I actually have both of the AMG's in stock as of this post which is very rare.

http://aaoptics.com/RAZOR-HD-AMG-6-24X50-FFP-RIFLESCOPES_p_72.html

You mentioned needing the warranty. As you can see from my site I have the contract to sell ALL the refurbished scopes in the US for Vortex. I can tell you I have yet to see an AMG on that list which should speak to the "needing the warranty"

steve77
08-07-2017, 10:15 AM
Not to mention, turn around time for Vortex warranty is crazy fast. I have been a big fan of burris over the years, but have been working a gun counter for a while now. I am slowly transitioning to Vortex scopes as my guns need new glass. I have heard almost no complaints about their products or service!

Langford
08-07-2017, 06:47 PM
Thanks guys!

Weight isn't a big concern, it's going on an AR with a 22" heavy barrel that'll only get shot prone or off a bench. But I'm a little nuts about aesthetics, so the color of the Gen2 Razor kills it for me. The rifle is all NiB coated, so a brown scope would drive me insane...haha.

I like the Burris, but the CA on this scope is really bad...worse than I expected honestly. For the price point and the features it has, I shouldn't complain...but it gives me a headache after spending some time behind it.

Cabelas also sells a ton of refurbished Vortex scopes, and I stop in and see what's on the shelf quite often...many diamondbacks & vipers, and so far only one Razor (gen 1 5-20) that I've ran across. I've never seen another Razor on the shelf there, so I guess that speaks for the quality of their higher end scopes.

My last scope purchase took a big bite out of my play money stash (Schmidt Bender Polar T96 4-16 ffp), so I've got to let that fund heal up for a while before buying anything else. More time to research is a good thing I guess .

42769vette
08-08-2017, 01:48 PM
Thanks guys!

Weight isn't a big concern, it's going on an AR with a 22" heavy barrel that'll only get shot prone or off a bench. But I'm a little nuts about aesthetics, so the color of the Gen2 Razor kills it for me. The rifle is all NiB coated, so a brown scope would drive me insane...haha.

I like the Burris, but the CA on this scope is really bad...worse than I expected honestly. For the price point and the features it has, I shouldn't complain...but it gives me a headache after spending some time behind it.

Cabelas also sells a ton of refurbished Vortex scopes, and I stop in and see what's on the shelf quite often...many diamondbacks & vipers, and so far only one Razor (gen 1 5-20) that I've ran across. I've never seen another Razor on the shelf there, so I guess that speaks for the quality of their higher end scopes.

My last scope purchase took a big bite out of my play money stash (Schmidt Bender Polar T96 4-16 ffp), so I've got to let that fund heal up for a while before buying anything else. More time to research is a good thing I guess .

I now have the contract for all Vortex refurb's, but Cabelas had it before me. I have never seen a AMG, and only 1 4.5-27.

http://aaoptics.com/Refurbished-_c_93.html