PDA

View Full Version : Coyotes at Night

dice
08-10-2017, 08:46 PM
I know it's ok to shoot them at night, but is there a caliber restriction? I seem to remember something about rimfire only at night, but I don't know if that's right.

Laying here in bed, and somebody is damn sure shooting some, and it's definitely not a rimfire.

Not that it's any of my business what the neighbors are doing, just curious.

Dice

Roundballer
08-10-2017, 09:22 PM
I know it's ok to shoot them at night, but is there a caliber restriction? I seem to remember something about rimfire only at night, but I don't know if that's right.
I am pretty sure that it is either rimfire or shotgun, when in season.

Laying here in bed, and somebody is damn sure shooting some, and it's definitely not a rimfire.

Not that it's any of my business what the neighbors are doing, just curious.

Dice

There are restrictions at the State level for hunting, but just shooting (at night) is by local ordnance.
I have been hearing fireworks here since about a week before Independence Day, and it sporadically happens until school starts ( and the population demographics change), then again around the end of the year.

westcliffe01
08-10-2017, 11:19 PM
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf

Specifically, read the FAQ on page 49 which say

Coyote Hunting FAQs
Can I use a centerfire rifle to hunt coyotes?
You may use a centerfire rifle to hunt coyotes during regular daytime hunting
hours statewide. Centerfire rifles or centerfire pistols .269 caliber or smaller MAY
be used at night. Exception: Centerfire rifles and centerfire pistols may NOT be
used in state park or recreation areas statewide, or on any public land in the
Limited Firearms Deer Zone. For additional firearm restrictions, see pg. 18.

Take very special note of the exception to the rifle rule, so you don't get arrested...

dice
08-11-2017, 12:48 PM
Thanks for the replies. It definitely wasn't fireworks or a shotgun.
I live in the sticks, if we even have an ordinance on shooting at night it's not enforced.
Wasn't me shooting, so whoever it was can worry about Johnny Law.

Dice