PDA

View Full Version : Protection between floor and safe?

Northcountry2007
08-12-2017, 01:46 AM
Finally finished my office / gun room and going to move my safe plus purchase one additional safe. These will be permanently mounted thru floor joist. Wondering if you all use something as a barrier between the safe and floor. New laminate if it matters. Considering 1/2" thick rubber? Carpet scrap? Plywood? Any suggestions appreciated.

partdeux
08-12-2017, 05:39 AM
you're drilling holes in the new floor, and worried about protecting the floor???

HELL0
08-12-2017, 07:13 AM
I would use a plywood/sheeting directly under the safe and would put threaded anchors into the cement, through the plywood, and into the safe then use nuts and washers to secure the safe.

A non-combustible sheeting would be my choice if moisture isn't an issue. This way you create a space that also has a fire rating on the floor. So use a layer of pressure treated plywood against the cement and a layer of non-com on top of that.

You should be able to really secure that safe to the 2 pieces and even level it using shims after.

JohnJak
08-12-2017, 07:38 AM
you're drilling holes in the new floor, and worried about protecting the floor???

:yeahthat:

Northcountry2007
08-12-2017, 03:15 PM

Thanks for the helpful bullchit response. Why do most on here feel it necessary to post crap like this, when someone is looking for help? To enlighten the two geniuses who posted BS responses, I'll make this simple. House is on a crawlspace. Even on 90 degree days the house is very cool. In the winter even with the heat set at 80 it is cold throughout the house. My concern is about moisture or sweat between the safes and the floor causing the safe to rust or corrode. Ever see when they rearrange a grocery store or Walmart, and the floors have decayed, or have rust stains or embedded dirt that's cant be removed? All I was asking is can I use something as a preventative barrier? Not worried about "holes" in the floor as I have extra planks if needed, but not enough to redo a 3' x 9' area of the floor. Main concern is to protect the safes!

hunterspirit
08-12-2017, 03:37 PM
OK, here's another response.

Please do put some 1/2" rubber under the safe, it will make it much easier to get a pry bar under.

M.Schmitz87
08-12-2017, 05:19 PM
OK, here's another response.

Please do put some 1/2" rubber under the safe, it will make it much easier to get a pry bar under.

Yep. I put mine on those black rubber cakes that we put furnaces on.

Jackam
08-12-2017, 06:01 PM
I made a box about a foot high for my safes.
Covered them in carpeting.
They look great and it brings the shelves to eye level.

I was mostly worried about a sump pump failure.

Gray Man
08-12-2017, 11:04 PM
Mounted mine directly to the cement floor of the basement 6 years ago. No problems. How's that for a no bull-chit answer OP?

You asked for suggestions, you got them. Make your own decisions and move on, it's called life.

PhotoTom
08-13-2017, 06:39 AM
House is on a crawlspace. Even on 90 degree days the house is very cool. In the winter even with the heat set at 80 it is cold throughout the house.

My concern is about moisture or sweat between the safes and the floor causing the safe to rust or corrode. Ever see when they rearrange a grocery store or Walmart, and the floors have decayed, or have rust stains or embedded dirt that's cant be removed?

All I was asking is can I use something as a preventative barrier? Not worried about "holes" in the floor as I have extra planks if needed, but not enough to redo a 3' x 9' area of the floor. Main concern is to protect the safes!

That's good additional info that wasn't in the OP (sans the passive aggressive personal attacks). Without that info, it was difficult to envision your concern. I saw your post before the "offending" question was posted and passed on responding since I didn't understand what exactly you were concerned about and thought the exact same thing as posted.

I agree with others that putting a 1/2 inch of anything under the safe makes it easier to get a pry bar under, especially rubber. Based on your concern of moisture staining the flooring, maybe a sheet of drywall or cement board of some sort?

gjgalligan
08-13-2017, 06:50 AM
You might also consider some lags into wall studs as well as the floor.

RMC
08-13-2017, 08:35 AM
You might also consider some lags into wall studs as well as the floor.

My thought too. Unless you tie into the wall, the safe itself would give more leverage than a pry for ripping it off the floor.

JohnJak
08-13-2017, 12:44 PM
Thanks for the helpful bullchit response. Why do most on here feel it necessary to post crap like this, when someone is looking for help? To enlighten the two geniuses who posted BS responses, I'll make this simple. House is on a crawlspace. Even on 90 degree days the house is very cool. In the winter even with the heat set at 80 it is cold throughout the house. My concern is about moisture or sweat between the safes and the floor causing the safe to rust or corrode. Ever see when they rearrange a grocery store or Walmart, and the floors have decayed, or have rust stains or embedded dirt that's cant be removed? All I was asking is can I use something as a preventative barrier? Not worried about "holes" in the floor as I have extra planks if needed, but not enough to redo a 3' x 9' area of the floor. Main concern is to protect the safes!

Thank you for your kind words.

Viking
08-13-2017, 07:56 PM
There are 2ft by 3ft cement boards meant to be installed with/under tile, I am drawing a blank as to their name but will have some limited fire resistance, not be harmed much by moisture and can be as thin as 1/4 of an inch to reduce the amount of space between floor and safe in regards to avoiding pry bar attacks. Also a bit more durable than drywall, but if you can protect its edges or protect that space between the safe, the cement board, and your floor you will have a relatively safe option that protects safe from floor and vs versa. I am sure there are more durable alternatives, but the cement board should be less than 10$ for a sheet if not less than 5$. I know you can go crazy over the top with Kevlar/fiberglass 4x8 sheets but that's not cost realistic or necessary. Especially if you can find a way to protect the seam between safe and floor, maybe mount some angle iron 1/4" thick straight to the floor with the angle riding up to the bottom of the safe, I guess the big thing is making it take long enough that it isn't worth the time/risk.

AxlMyk
08-13-2017, 08:07 PM
Beware of some pressure treated wood. That stuff + steel can equal rust/corrosion.

10x25mm
08-14-2017, 11:00 AM
Beware of some pressure treated wood. That stuff + steel can equal rust/corrosion.

Very true, and applies to some OSB board adhesives as well. Regular plywood 'painted' with linseed oil (to prevent board rot) has worked well for over 25 years under several safes I have moved recently.

Pry bar issue seems to be theoretical, rather than real. Should be fairly easy to drive a pry bar shoe under a safe sitting directly on the floor, or at least not much more difficult than driving a pry bar shoe under a safe mounted on a board. Millwrights usually elevate the edge of a heavy object by hammering a cold chisel in to create space for the pry bar shoe or toe jack.