PDA

View Full Version : Groundhog hunting

nrich1979
08-28-2017, 12:42 PM
I was asked/invited to come do my friend a favor by "removing groundhogs" from her farm..

Backstory..

They have a rather large horse farm in the Oxford area..

After her dog died of old age the ground hogs have started to pop up around her barn creating havoc..

I've been to this farm they ((the ground hogs)) have no fear of humans at all..

Dozens of them run across their backyard/front yard, even onto the deck at times..

They asked me to come shoot the ground hogs..

I told her to just hire a service/get some traps/ get a dog..

But they want to spend the day shooting ground hogs..

I've got several rimfire rifles that I could use, I could even suppress them..

She's got no neighbors for miles, and fences around where I would be inclined to hunt..

From a safety standpoint I am convinced I would have no worries with a rimfire rifle..

This is oakland county..

I have a small games license..

and I have permission from the home owner..

What am I missing that would turn a fun day of shooting ground hogs into a day of grief from law enforcement?

Roundballer
08-28-2017, 03:14 PM
I was asked/invited to come do my friend a favor by "removing groundhogs" from her farm..

Backstory..

They have a rather large horse farm in the Oxford area..

After her dog died of old age the ground hogs have started to pop up around her barn creating havoc..

I've been to this farm they ((the ground hogs)) have no fear of humans at all..

Dozens of them run across their backyard/front yard, even onto the deck at times..

They asked me to come shoot the ground hogs..

I told her to just hire a service/get some traps/ get a dog..

But they want to spend the day shooting ground hogs..

I've got several rimfire rifles that I could use, I could even suppress them..

She's got no neighbors for miles, and fences around where I would be inclined to hunt..

From a safety standpoint I am convinced I would have no worries with a rimfire rifle..

This is oakland county..

I have a small games license..

and I have permission from the home owner..

What am I missing that would turn a fun day of shooting ground hogs into a day of grief from law enforcement?

I am not sure exactly what your question is. There is no closed season on woodchuck/groundhog, and they can be hunted anytime with a valid small game license.

It also appears that they may be taken on private property when they are doing, or about to do damage, without a license:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf Page 4?

nrich1979
08-28-2017, 03:34 PM
I am not sure exactly what your question is. There is no closed season on woodchuck/groundhog, and they can be hunted anytime with a valid small game license.

It also appears that they may be taken on private property when they are doing, or about to do damage, without a license:

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dnr/hunting_and_trapping_digest_461177_7.pdf Page 4?

That's kind of my question sorry if it's too vague..

On private property with a rimfire rifle and a small games license I can shoot groundhogs without any real worry about legal issues??

Am I missing any sort of ordinances or rules that I just don't know?

wsr
08-28-2017, 04:07 PM
That's kind of my question sorry if it's too vague..

On private property with a rimfire rifle and a small games license I can shoot groundhogs without any real worry about legal issues??

Am I missing any sort of ordinances or rules that I just don't know?

Unless they are somewhere that has a ban on shooting you are good ...take a AR, murderize those whistlepigs

mikeb32
08-28-2017, 04:18 PM
Check local Ordinances and I would say "Good Hunting"

zcolt45
08-28-2017, 04:25 PM
There is no closed season on woodchuck/groundhog, and they can be hunted anytime with a valid small game license.

NOTES: (page 4)
1. Raccoon and coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if
they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed.
----------------------------------------
Opossum, Porcupine, Weasel, Red Squirrel, Skunk, Ground Squirrel, Woodchuck, Feral Swine, Feral Pigeons, Starlings, and
House Sparrows No Limit Statewide

Year-round with a valid Michigan hunting license, woodchuck and skunk may be taken without a license if doing or about to do
damage on private property by the property owner or designee. 5,6,8

Having a flock of free ranging chickens will help keep these animals away from the area. We had ground hogs under a number of out buildings and the shooting berm. For some reason the chickens made them move out, the down side is the Wild Turkeys stopped coming by.

DV8r
08-28-2017, 04:43 PM
To think that anyone can wipe out (or even come close) a ground hog infestation in a day with fire arms only is pie-in-the-sky thinking. Good luck but have fun. Hopefully your rimfires are HMR/WMR.

nrich1979
08-28-2017, 04:45 PM
To think that anyone can wipe out (or even come close) a ground hog infestation in a day with fire arms only is pie-in-the-sky thinking. Good luck but have fun. Hopefully your rimfires are HMR/WMR.

I didn't think this was the best solution and basically everything I read 22lr wasn't enough round but 17hmr was good enough..

I didn't think I could shoot center fire for hunting down state?

Jackam
08-28-2017, 04:58 PM
I didn't think I could shoot center fire for hunting down state?

You can, if you can do it safely.

I use my 30-06 just North of you quite often. I used my 5 5.6 once but did not get off a round.

As far as local ordinances go, you'd have to call the township (or city) that has jurisdiction.

Good luck (post pictures!)

nrich1979
08-28-2017, 05:29 PM
You can, if you can do it safely.

I use my 30-06 just North of you quite often. I used my 5 5.6 once but did not get off a round.

As far as local ordinances go, you'd have to call the township (or city) that has jurisdiction.

Good luck (post pictures!)

Will do.. I'm honestly expecting to get off one maybe two shots the whole day.. from what I've read ground hogs aren't stupid when it comes to hunting..

I can't imagine what a 30-06 would to a groundhog

Leader
08-28-2017, 06:35 PM
I use .22 LR from my living room door wall all the time & it is quite effective.

The ban on most center fire rifles in the limited firearm zone is ONLY for "firearm DEER hunting".

However.... The "Safety Zone" around buildings is still in effect.

nrich1979
08-28-2017, 07:14 PM
I use .22 LR from my living room door wall all the time & it is quite effective.

The ban on most center fire rifles in the limited firearm zone is ONLY for "firearm DEER hunting".

However.... The "Safety Zone" around buildings is still in effect.

For stupid sake what's the "safety zone"

Sorry as long as I have a written permission slip from the homeowner I'm good to go right?

Leader
08-28-2017, 07:32 PM
For stupid sake what's the "safety zone"

Sorry as long as I have a written permission slip from the homeowner I'm good to go right?

Yes, as long as there are no other occupied buildings within 450'.

fr3db3ar
08-29-2017, 08:03 PM
I use a suppressed 223 with 52 bthp for groundhogs. Lights out at 200 yards. Yours may not be afraid of people now but that will change in a day.

Sent from my SM-T817V using Tapatalk

turkeyfreek
09-02-2017, 09:09 PM
My 17hmr always served me well. Longest shot was 140 yards. I have yet to find another use for it. Let us know how it went.

dave7120
09-05-2017, 08:21 PM
ive been using 22mag on them this summer, after 5 or 6 of them I think I finally got them all. haven't seen one in close to a month now!

JimSig
09-05-2017, 09:01 PM

I can't imagine what a 30-06 would do to a groundhog

I would guess groundmeat

kryl
09-12-2017, 08:58 AM
I know that there is a local ordinance here against firearms but with the new airgun laws it would be ok to use a pellet rifle to kill these varmints, even these types of squirrels?

What about after trapping them in a cage? Shoot them ? Drown their dirty little butts? Any opinions? I don't want to call city hall. Who knows what kind of BS I would be told.

There is no closed season on woodchuck/groundhog, and they can be hunted anytime with a valid small game license.

http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dn...t_461177_7.pdf Page 4?
NOTES: (page 4)
1. Raccoon and coyote may be taken on private property by a property owner or designee all year if
they are doing or about to do damage on private property. A license or written permit is not needed.
----------------------------------------
Opossum, Porcupine, Weasel, Red Squirrel, Skunk, Ground Squirrel, Woodchuck, Feral Swine, Feral Pigeons, Starlings, and
House Sparrows No Limit Statewide

Year-round with a valid Michigan hunting license, woodchuck and skunk may be taken without a license if doing or about to do
damage on private property by the property owner or designee. 5,6,8

kryl
09-12-2017, 09:01 AM
You can't take deer that are about to do damage, or can you? Would love to blast them with shotgun shells loaded with rubber shot. Would prefer to use lead but that wouldn't be safe here.

Imshootin
09-12-2017, 09:57 AM
I removed two of them in a twelve hour period with my $20 Harbor Freight trap and cantaloupe. They love cantaloupe. Turned their nose up to honeydew and strawberries.

kryl
09-12-2017, 10:04 AM
I removed two of them in a twelve hour period with my $20 Harbor Freight trap and cantaloupe.

$20 ? Man I paid too much for my HavaHart.