PDA

View Full Version : Question

JohnJak
09-12-2017, 10:21 AM
I see they make a red dot scope and then they also sell a magnifier to go along with it.

So my question is why not combine them to make one unit?

If this sounds a bit queer it's only because MGO made me this way.

SpartyME
09-12-2017, 10:26 AM
I see they make a red dot scope and then they also sell a magnifier to go along with it.

They do make them combined; they're called prism scopes.

mikeb32
09-12-2017, 10:31 AM

Here's a "Silly" Question......Other than assuming that the Magnifier makes the dot bigger, is there something else it does? Is it just for people with bad eyes?

I only have one Red Dot and Doug hasn't installed it yet.

TylerV76
09-12-2017, 10:39 AM
Well if its a flip to side magnifier you can run the red dot with the magnifier out of the way then flip it in place to have 3 or 5x magnification for longer shots. The dot size will increase but so does everything in your view so the dot stays the same size in relation to your target.

I personally prefer a true 1x-6x scope and have found Im almost as quick with it as I am with a red dot, possibly even as quick.

JohnJak
09-12-2017, 10:41 AM
I learn something new every day here on MGO.

JohnJak
09-12-2017, 10:45 AM
I personally prefer a true 1x-6x scope and have found Im almost as quick with it as I am with a red dot, possibly even as quick.

How is the eye relief? I find with a scope I have to tell the bad guy to wait a minute or so to allow me to adjust the distance from my eye to the scope.

mikeb32
09-12-2017, 10:45 AM
Me too, Thanks Tyler!

TylerV76
09-12-2017, 10:58 AM
How is the eye relief? I find with a scope I have to tell the bad guy to wait a minute or so to allow me to adjust the distance from my eye to the scope.

Depends on the scope really. On my Vortex Strike Eagle, with 3 1/2" eye relief, I get perfect eye relief and position as soon as Ive pulled the rifle up. I will say though Ive practiced my cheek weld ALOT, especially when Im sitting around the house doing nothing. I know a couple of weeks ago I was hitting 4" plates at 50 yards within a couple seconds from the time I raise the rifle and squeeze the trigger. I dont know the exact time but if I had to guess Id say 2 seconds or close to it. The more I practice the faster I get. Im aiming to have it all in one motion soon.

I had a Nikon 1.5-4 a while back and the eye relief was a bit longer at 4" so it was a bit easier to get into position but the reticle wasnt as good so I was a bit slower with it.

Red dots and Reflex sights have a distinct advantage imo to stressful scenarios where proper cheek weld may be compromised. The downside for me is limited distances. I like to pinpoint shots at 100 yards and beyond and unless you have a 2moa dot that gets a bit tricky for me and my old eyes. I tried the magnifier but the dot gets a bit fuzzy in front of a magnifier and I didnt see enough of a gain at 3x magnification. 5x may be a bit better but I prefer the scopes.

On my SHTF rifle Im planning to toss an offset Vortex Razor 3 moa dot on it zeroed at 25 yards. That would give me the scope for 50 and beyond and the red dot for up close and personal. The Razor is so small it wouldnt be too noticeable.

My experience with the magnifier has only been a Vortex and a cheapo Sightmark. The Sightmark was trash but the Vortex was pretty good. It still caused a bit of fuzziness and I had a difficult time getting proper eye relief on my draw.

TylerV76
09-12-2017, 11:06 AM
This is a video I watched when I was questioning my optics choices. Warning: A couple F bombs at some point.

As you can see, you can be very quick with a scope. When shooting at a silhouette you can be on target in under a second. 4" plates I need that extra second to make hits.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nJEKbHPLseY

Remo
09-13-2017, 06:19 AM
With my 1-6x on lowest power 1x I treat the scope as if it is a RDS. I turn on the illuminated reticle and shoot both eyes open. If your scope is mounted correctly for YOU , you will be just as fast as if using a RDS.

TylerV76
09-13-2017, 08:17 AM
With my 1-6x on lowest power 1x I treat the scope as if it is a RDS. I turn on the illuminated reticle and shoot both eyes open. If your scope is mounted correctly for YOU , you will be just as fast as if using a RDS.

I agree with that to a point. You will still need a consistent cheek weld or you will have distortion and parallax issues whereas a red dot or reflex will have unlimited eye relief and cheek weld wont really matter, nor will parallax in parallax free sights such as an Eotech.

Remo
09-13-2017, 02:55 PM
I agree with that to a point. You will still need a consistent cheek weld or you will have distortion and parallax issues whereas a red dot or reflex will have unlimited eye relief and cheek weld wont really matter, nor will parallax in parallax free sights such as an Eotech.

Yeah, can't just hold a weapon out in front of you and ping away. Still need a cheek weld. With just a little practice it come naturally.