PDA

View Full Version : Trap Lessons?

Eric B
02-15-2009, 08:47 PM
Hi all,

I was patiently taught how to shoot Skeet by a very knowledgeable older gentlemen. (I was told by others he won a few competitions) I am now able to match (and sometimes beat) people that have shot much longer than I have. Not bad for picking it up three weeks ago...

I tried Trap this weekend. I shot a 4 and a 6, kinda embarrassing. I know practice makes perfect, but I fear I would just practice bad habits. A lot of people offered advice today....but it varied person to person and it just made me confused, anxious, and frustrated.

I am looking for an accomplished and patient trap shooter to teach me the ropes and walk me through a few rounds of trap. Preferably in the Holland or Flint area. Williams Gun Sight Perhaps?

Let me know....Thanks

Eric

Tallbear
02-15-2009, 08:57 PM
One of the best in the nation runs Island Lake Shooting range. I've seen Pat do some of the "trick shots" those guys on TV do.

http://www.islandlakeshootingrange.com/instructors.htm

Hi all,

I was patiently taught how to shoot Skeet by a very knowledgeable older gentlemen. (I was told by others he won a few competitions) I am now able to match (and sometimes beat) people that have shot much longer than I have. Not bad for picking it up three weeks ago...

I tried Trap this weekend. I shot a 4 and a 6, kinda embarrassing. I know practice makes perfect, but I fear I would just practice bad habits. A lot of people offered advice today....but it varied person to person and it just made me confused, anxious, and frustrated.

I am looking for an accomplished and patient trap shooter to teach me the ropes and walk me through a few rounds of trap. Preferably in the Holland or Flint area. Williams Gun Sight Perhaps?

Let me know....Thanks

Eric

Eric B
02-15-2009, 10:43 PM
Thanks Tallbear....

You always seem to have the answers. I appreciate it!

Eric

Toledo Kid
02-15-2009, 11:46 PM
Thanks Tallbear....

You always seem to have the answers. I appreciate it!

EricBest advice I can give you coming from a second generation AAA 27yds AAA family of shooters is practice makes perfect!!!

Get these>>> http://www.franklittleshooting.com/
Read the book( in which my father and I are some how put in a few pics from the Grand American)

Watch the video over and over!!!
Frank Little was a friend of my fathers. He was the finest smooth bore handler I ever seen God rest his soul...

Next, go here and hang out, read, and ask smart questions in the forum >>> http://www.trapshooters.com/

The best of The Best hang out there!!! You just don't know who they are until you get to know them at the shoots. :)

After reading and watching the video go and practice some more.
Not even the best can practice enough.

Then show up here to shoot or watch during shooting events>>> http://www.michigantrap.org/

Ask questions, hang out, buy a few sodas and have fun.

Then if you really really need instruction after lots of practice
Three gentlemen come to mind.

Kay Ohye >>>http://www.kayohye.com/classes.asp
Kay is the best there is. He has taught more AAA 27yd shooters then anyone in the history of the sport. He and his daughter are Hall Of Famers and still shoot ATA. He also comes to Michigan all the time to shoot and teach.

Phil Kiner>>> http://www.philkiner.com/index.asp
Only man in history to shoot 400 x 400 straight in a ATA event

Harlan Campbell Jr >>> http://www.harlancampbelljr.com/index.html
Harlan is the modern day Annie Oakely. He just don't miss and he is as laid back shooter as he is a teacher.

All in all that should get you started...:razz::razz::razz:

Join the ATA>>> http://www.shootata.com/default.aspx hit some local ATA shoots... meet folks and make friends.

If anymore questions you know how to reach me!!!
In the meantime...go shoot practice!!! :colors:

~tk~

Tallbear
02-15-2009, 11:51 PM
"Perfect practice makes perfect".

You can be doing even the smallest thing wrong and never get it right.
Been there.....done that.

Toledo Kid
02-16-2009, 12:16 AM

Been there.....done that.OK....:whistle:
Note: "above disclaimer".

Kimber45
02-16-2009, 05:45 AM
I'll second Island Lake.

Toledo Kid
02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
Now Fella's, :gossip:
Why in the world would someone want to spend their hard earned money for quality instruction :book:from a Sporting Clays Champion for a totally different discipline???:scratch:

Thats nonsense!!! :smoke:

Seems to me, if I were looking to shoot the game of "Trap" as he (Eric B) has mentioned, I would be seeking a quality instructor in that discipline.:yikes:

Then again that's me. I might be missing something!!!:mrgreen:

:salute:

no.4shot
02-16-2009, 01:53 PM
Practice,practice,practice, then go practice some more.

Another word of advice is to try all of the shotgun sports. Then pick one and become proficient with it. The timing is different for trap, skeet and SC. Then shoot the other games every now and then to mix it up.

Done Deal
02-16-2009, 02:11 PM

From what I hear...you had the art of missing down to a science....

Toledo Kid
02-16-2009, 02:15 PM
From what I hear...you had the art of missing down to a science....hahahaha...:-P:-P:-P

Tallbear
02-16-2009, 02:33 PM
From what I hear...you had the art of missing down to a science....

Well, if you practice..........

Eric B
02-16-2009, 06:28 PM
Thanks guys for the advice....much appreciated.

Eric

no.4shot
02-17-2009, 06:42 PM
Next, go here and hang out, read, and ask smart questions in the forum >>> http://www.trapshooters.com/

The best of The Best hang out there!!! You just don't know who they are until you get to know them at the shoots. :)

I like that website. I have been a lurker there for quiet some time. The only thing I don't like is the format.

Howard000003
02-17-2009, 10:05 PM

I had a wrestling coach inform me of the truth of this statement: Practice makes perfect --> Practice makes permanent

Just because you practice, something does not mean you will be perfect. Consider this, what if you are practicing that wrong thing, say stance or follow through. That will never make a "perfect" skeet/trap shooter but it will make those bad habits permanent. Just a thought to consider...

DHughes
02-17-2009, 10:22 PM
Now Fella's, :gossip:
Why in the world would someone want to spend their hard earned money for quality instruction :book:from a Sporting Clays Champion for a totally different discipline???:scratch:

Thats nonsense!!! :smoke:

Seems to me, if I were looking to shoot the game of "Trap" as he (Eric B) has mentioned, I would be seeking a quality instructor in that discipline.:yikes:

Then again that's me. I might be missing something!!!:mrgreen:

:salute:
Well Pat is just simply a great instructor. He teaches all disciplines and teaches them very well.
Last May he competed in a World All Around Championship where the venue was 900 targets. 25 of the Worlds best went to Texas where they competed in ATA Trap, NSCA skeet, Bunker Trap, Trap doubles, Flyers, FITASC, Helice and English Sporting. He placed 6th overall. Not bad for a guy that rarely ever practices because of a lack of time. Giving lessons and running his business takes most of his time. Sometimes before a major shoot he tries to get out for an hour or two, Thats only two or three hundred practice rounds compared to the numbers that most high end competitors shoot.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but just pointing out that there may a reason why someone might choose Pat. He is one of the top ranked instructor's that has seen millions of targets while helping students of all venues.

Toledo Kid
02-18-2009, 12:04 AM
Well Pat is just simply a great instructor. He teaches all disciplines and teaches them very well.
Last May he competed in a World All Around Championship where the venue was 900 targets. 25 of the Worlds best went to Texas where they competed in ATA Trap, NSCA skeet, Bunker Trap, Trap doubles, Flyers, FITASC, Helice and English Sporting. He placed 6th overall. Not bad for a guy that rarely ever practices because of a lack of time. Giving lessons and running his business takes most of his time. Sometimes before a major shoot he tries to get out for an hour or two, Thats only two or three hundred practice rounds compared to the numbers that most high end competitors shoot.

I'm not trying to change anyone's mind, but just pointing out that there may a reason why someone might choose Pat. He is one of the top ranked instructor's that has seen millions of targets while helping students of all venues.Where is this coming from??? No pun towards Pat and his abilities....
I am not knocking him or if he is a good shooter or even a nice guy. He maybe a very good instructor even.
But I have to say that I never heard of him coming from the Trap World. He is not a Trap shooter and it shows in that competition. None of those shooters are!!! Look at Jon Kruger. He is one of the Best ever to wheel a smooth bore!!! He is a Sporting Clays Champion many times over and shot a 41 from the 27yds in Trap.
This Championship you speak is a taste of all different disciplines. Take a look at how many targets were shot in the "Trap" area. Take a look at the scores. This nothing compared to what you would see in a ATA Class Shoot much less a ATA Championship Shoot. Single 16yd events are 100 and 200 bird events. Handicap 100 bird events with yardages ranging from 20/22-27 yd lines. Doubles are 100 birds. Look at how all these shooters shot on the 27 yd line. Highest score on there out of "50" is a 46 which is a average of 23 yds. And Pat shot one of them. That is more or less a novice/partime Trap shooter score!!! A good or decent Trap shooter will be around the 24-25 yd line.
Heres the Event>>> http://www.iclays.com/scores/scores121-1302.html#OPEN
I am also surprised not to see a friend of mine in there Larry Woo. Which he is a Grand Champion Skeet shooter.

Again Pat is in his own right a very good clays shooter...and finish very well!!!
Nothing taken away from him. :thumbup:

But the start of this thread was about "Trap Lessons".
So one should seek a "Trap Instructor"...from a Trap Shooter.
I think Pat would agree.

Pick a discipline, find a pro for that discipline.
Bottomline have fun and practice hard and often in any discipline!!!
That was my point!!! ;)

Here's a link to seen most all disciplines in action>>> http://www.beretta.com/index.aspx?m=53&did=72#

steveodarko
02-18-2009, 01:06 AM
Hi all,

Let me know....Thanks

Eric
Did you change your choke after shooting skeet to a choke better suited for trap?That would make a huge difference.

Eric B
02-18-2009, 03:53 PM
Yup I changed it