PDA

View Full Version : Treestands

Simple man
09-14-2017, 04:42 PM
I'm getting back into deer hunting haven't been out in 15 years. Was looking at getting a tree stand and don't have any experience with them. Are climbers worth using if I plan on keeping it in the same location long term?

DTruck
09-14-2017, 06:26 PM
I'm getting back into deer hunting haven't been out in 15 years. Was looking at getting a tree stand and don't have any experience with them. Are climbers worth using if I plan on keeping it in the same location long term?

Depends on a lot of variables -
- Public or Private Land?
- Climbers only work well with trees that are prepped for them (ie - branches)
- It really depends on how you want to get into your stand. ie -move a climber up and down, climbing sticks with a hang-on, standard ladder stand, tripod, etc...
- Obviously budget.

I use the Big Game XL 2 man. It's cheap, relatively sturdy, and after going through a few 1 man stands, I love the extra room.
http://www.dunhamssports.com/product/big-game-18-guardian-xl-two-man-ladder/

JK001
09-15-2017, 06:52 PM
Something you might want to look at is a ladder stand.

tenthumbs
09-15-2017, 09:34 PM

Climbers can be noisy as you climb. As others said a ladder is nice if you don't plan on moving.

Something you might want to look at is a ladder stand.

And a full body fall arrest system!!

Something like this. http://www.huntersafetysystem.com/harnesses/

The full vest type are easier to get on without tangling like the strap only type.

I have a friend that has been a paraplegic for 10-12 years from a fall. Ask yourself if you would like to piss with a catheter for the rest of your life.:?

He is a determined hunter though and I just heard tonight that he got a Bear in the UP from a ground blind this week.:score:

xtrema312
09-17-2017, 05:20 PM
I hunt with ladders, hang on and climber, and I've had a few different climbers. Climbers are good for being very mobile in your hunting and not leaving any equipment behind. Even a good solid one tends to be a little noisy on some trees, getting up the tree and down the tree takes a bit of time, and some trees are going to be too big or have branches keeping you from using your climber. Some trees even have wide bases making it hard to get your climber setup to get started. A lot depends on your type of cover in the tree types that you're hunting in. To me a climber is just one piece of equipment for use when needed in some applications. It's not what I would want to hunt with as my only stand set-up. I've just found too many occasions when I've wanted to hunt a particular spot, and a climber just wasn't going to get it done. That's based on being primarily a bowhunter. Getting in the right spot is a lot more critical than gun hunting. Lots of times I could have backed off 30 or 40 yards and found a tree I could get up with a climber and cover the same spot with a gun. So take that into account

A good ladder stand can be a pretty nice way to go if you're going to leave it out and don't need to be real mobile. You have a lot to hang onto climbing up for the added safety. They're a bit hard to move around. They tend to have pretty good flexibility with tree type. You can get into some trees that have a fair number of branches on them if you can get your ladder tipped up in place without having a lot of branches in your way. You can even use the ladder in a tree that tends to have an odd tip our bend in it. Ladders can make squeaks when the tree moves around or when climbing.

My personal favorite is a hang on stand with a stick ladder. Properly set up, that combination can work in a lot of tree types. They don't take too long to get set up, they're not too difficult to move, they're fairly easy and quick to get in and they're quieter than climbing ladder stands or using a climbing stand. I use a combination of a light hang on that I pack in and out with stick ladders that I put up and leave out for the season in different locations. Have a few hang ons that I put in specific spots I hunt fairly often, I'm not concerned about people taking them, and I don't want to take the extra time of packing in the stand and hanging it. I keep that pack in stand and an extra ladder available so that I can hit a new spot if I want. This combination of equipment allows me to leave a stand up and just take the letter away if I want or leave the ladder up and take the stand away.

If you're going to be hunting in the same spot over and over, and you're not concerned about theft, definitely go with a ladder or hang on.

oldmann1967
09-17-2017, 06:41 PM
Skip it. I know 4 guys that are paraplegics because of tree stands. They had their accidents between the ages of 16 and 50.

M.Schmitz87
09-18-2017, 05:56 AM
Skip it. I know 4 guys that are paraplegics because of tree stands. They had their accidents between the ages of 16 and 50.

No kidding!

Can't stress safety enough! Wear a harness! I have a safety line with a follower that keeps me safe from the moment i go up the stick ladders and while sitting in the tree.
Every stand you buy new today comes with a basic harness. Nothing fancy or particular comfortable but it will do the trick.
I bought a muddy harness two years ago after the season on clearance and it makes a huge difference. I don't even notice wearing it it's so easy.

People fall every year and it could be easily avoided.

rdarabos
09-18-2017, 08:19 AM
i have seen people use climbers and they are noisy , I also dont like the feel of tree stand , on the ground for me

Musta Demoni
09-18-2017, 10:21 PM
I suggest a quality 2-man ladder stand, even if it's just you up there. You'll appreciate the extra room.

If you can keep it up year round (private land), even better. I'd still chain and lock it up. And as has been said, don't **** around. Get a quality harness such as one made by Hunter Safety Systems and make sure it fits you. Wear it every time you go up into the stand and connect it as soon as you get up. Get a sling for your gun so you don't have to hold it in one hand while climbing the ladder.

Be safe... harness. Wear the damn harness every time you hunt.

costanza
09-19-2017, 12:50 PM
No kidding!

Can't stress safety enough! Wear a harness! I have a safety line with a follower that keeps me safe from the moment i go up the stick ladders and while sitting in the tree.
Every stand you buy new today comes with a basic harness. Nothing fancy or particular comfortable but it will do the trick.
I bought a muddy harness two years ago after the season on clearance and it makes a huge difference. I don't even notice wearing it it's so easy. People fall every year and it could be easily avoided.
I'm getting too old and use ladder stands only now. I wear a safety strap/harness too, but I can see that I could still get badly hurt while strapping in/on. The falls will probably occur while you are getting in and out of your stand, not while just sitting there. Be careful!

Jackam
09-21-2017, 07:39 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-qqwY6fy0Mw

No harness here. Looks safe enough!

matt11
09-21-2017, 10:31 AM
Last year my tree stand was stolen from my private property, strange that no one was around my cabin ( I keep cameras up all year monitoring) or my storage shed where four wheelers and many other thing that had value. And My property borders all private land. Although since I am afraid of heights and hadn't used the stand in a few years I would have given it to them if they would have asked. I should try to sell my harness vests... I have moved on to this, it has been finished since this picture, has windows and heat.

xtrema312
09-21-2017, 01:46 PM

Oh I forgot to charge my drill battery, and this cold weather his drained the rest of it. Now how am I getting down? Oh no I dropped my drill! Oh no I forgot to bring my drill. I knew I was forgetting something! I guess I'll have to go home and get it. I shouldn't miss a whole lot opening day of deer gun season season being an hour late for the start.

Quads
09-21-2017, 07:49 PM

If we could all be so lucky to hunt golf courses and fill our tags some 50 feet from the parking lot.