PDA

View Full Version : wood stock refinishing

Mike1979
02-16-2009, 05:38 PM
I am going to refinish a couple of .22s. I was just curious what grit sandpaper you guys recommend. Also, what should i put on after the stain to seal it?

Smokepole
02-16-2009, 07:12 PM
I am going to refinish a couple of .22s. I was just curious what grit sandpaper you guys recommend. Also, what should i put on after the stain to seal it?
...Depends on how bad the original wood is when you start.
I refinished a really beat up, filthy Cetme, with pretty good results.
...Hardly used any sand paper, but did use some liquid varnish/stain remover that lifted a lot of the crud out. Sometimes, it takes more than one treatment. Then, I used denatured alcohol to clean it up, and raise the grain. Then, I used "0000" steel wool to rub it out, then used a shop vac to get all of that up.
...Depending on the porosity of the wood, you may want to seal it first before you stain it.
...On the Cetme, I used two light coats of Rosewood stain, then used the steel wool again.
...I finally put about six coats of top grade linseed oil on it, and rubbed it in for an oil finish.
...You'll get the best advice by going to a quality paint store that has knowledgeable help. I took the stock with me when I went.
...Also go to Brownell's, and look over their selection of stock refinishing products. Birchwood Casey makes a lot of them.
...Good luck!

MI2600
02-17-2009, 09:20 AM
If you have deep dents, you'll have to get some aggressive paper, maybe 60/80, to start. Use your judgment about how much wood you're willing to take off without changing the stock contours. Then work your way up to 320 and/or fine steel wool.

For stains/marks that remain, you can judiciously try some regular household bleach.

Eric B
02-17-2009, 09:51 AM
If you have deep dents, you'll have to get some aggressive paper, maybe 60/80, to start. Use your judgment about how much wood you're willing to take off without changing the stock contours. Then work your way up to 320 and/or fine steel wool.

For stains/marks that remain, you can judiciously try some regular household bleach.

You can try ironing those deep dents out. My dad restores stocks and he is able to remove many, if not most, of the dents.

For a few ideas on how to refinish stocks I would look at:

Surplus Rifle Stock Refinishing Tips (http://www.surplusrifle.com/shooting/stocktips/index.asp)

Box of Truth Educational Articles (http://www.theboxotruth.com/docs/educational.htm)

Mike1979
02-17-2009, 02:34 PM
Thanks guys, those are some great suggestions, i will try them out.

countryboy3248
02-18-2009, 10:32 PM

Word of caution, This is the LAST THING I would do. The above is a great way to ruin an otherwise fixable banged up stock. Check out some websites on re-finishing.

The idea about ironing is a very good one. Get a wet rag, set it on the stock, and iron it. It will raise small dings and dents when the wood swells.

BTW: no offense to anyone intended, however, just anyone with aggresive sandpaper can really do a number on wood...