PDA

View Full Version : Ammo storage

Glock94
10-05-2017, 06:55 PM
I see alot of forums about ammo storage some say military style ammo cans some say ammo safe and others say both, what do you guys recommend?

Roundballer
10-05-2017, 07:33 PM
I personally prefer containers that are designed for the purpose.

This is a question for which you will need to tailor the answer to your situation.

Are there small children? Do you take a substantial amount to the range with you? How large of a quantity do you wish to store, and for how long will it be stored? In the portion of your property where you wish to store it, is there a higher risk of water damage? What is the climate, are there large temp swings through the year?

You can see where this could all lead.

Glock94
10-05-2017, 09:14 PM
Yes I do see where it could all lead in my personal situation regulated temps no water risk no children but I see what you mean I am I guess asking just in general what people prefer storage wise

tkurban53
10-05-2017, 09:29 PM
Generally I use fat 50 ammo cans.

Fuel Fire Desire
10-05-2017, 09:37 PM
For regular access items I use .30 and .50 cans. Easy to move, easy to carry, and water/ air tight. For long term storage and stockpile items I use 40mm cans. Just as water and air tight, but much more volume, more stable to stack, and have dual carry handles. All are "explosion" proof too (meaning in a fire they won't turn into bombs).

Though, a fully loaded 40mm can holds 1200 rounds of .308, and weighs 70 pounds. Its not something I like to move around at all.

I keep all of these cans in a steel locker like you would flammable materials on an elevated platform above a concrete floor and bolted to the wall (filled up the thing has to weigh close to what a gun safe would.....dont want it tipping over).

Overkill? Maybe. But then Im also anal enough to have a spreadsheet of every caliber, manufacturer, and type I have in stock....and update it any time I add or remove from the locker. :silly:

pgm74
10-06-2017, 09:35 AM
I just use 50 cal cans. Although visible and unlocked, it takes me a significant amount of time up and down a ladder to move the entire stash into and out of their location when I go to refresh the silica gel and reorganize. So I can't see anyone getting too many of them in a smash and grab with the other defenses limiting their time.

VIGILANT
10-06-2017, 11:40 AM
For regular access items I use .30 and .50 cans. Easy to move, easy to carry, and water/ air tight. For long term storage and stockpile items I use 40mm cans. Just as water and air tight, but much more volume, more stable to stack, and have dual carry handles. All are "explosion" proof too (meaning in a fire they won't turn into bombs).

No, they are not "explosion" proof!

RifleGuy
10-06-2017, 11:52 AM
A lot of my ammo is stored in Steelcase and Hon file cabinets.

VIGILANT
10-06-2017, 01:49 PM
A lot of my ammo is stored in Steelcase and Hon file cabinets.

I thought only I did that! :shrugs:

elwarpo
10-06-2017, 01:55 PM
50 cal and 40mm ammo cans. I have opened ammo cans where the ammo was in there 20-30 years and was fine (milsurp I bought)

Roundballer
10-06-2017, 02:09 PM

No, they are not "explosion" proof!

Yes, they are,

Most people don't understand what the term means. FFD evidently does, the container is designed to rip open and vent internal pressures before it reaches a level that would cause a catastrophic bursting with shrapnel and a concussive blast. They are NOT designed to "contain" an internal conflagration.

Fuel Fire Desire
10-06-2017, 02:42 PM
Yes, they are,

Most people don't understand what the term means. FFD evidently does, the container is designed to rip open and vent internal pressures before it reaches a level that would cause a catastrophic bursting with shrapnel and a concussive blast. They are NOT designed to "contain" an internal conflagration.

Resulting in 1200 pops instead of one really big kaboom. Like a bag of microwave popcorn vs a ziplock bag in a microwave.

MI22Shooter
10-11-2017, 01:40 AM
Yes, they are,

Exactly. They will vent under pressure as the walls of the ammo can are thin. They will not maintain its integrity to a pressure where the speed of detonation or blast radius would be defined as an "explosion". I have an explosives storage magazine that was designed to BATFE specifications when I used to be licensed to manufacture low explosives. The definition of an "explosion" is NOT simply a rupturing containment box.

Even a boiling propane tank does not "explode", it ruptures. The propane mixing with air, and igniting, has a pressure propagation in the "hundreds of meters/second" that defines an "explosion".

That said, "if" an ammo can is filled with powder, and the powder initiates by heat, shock or fire, the powder explodes. The ammo can just ruptures from the overpressure.

Musta Demoni
10-11-2017, 08:11 AM
I bought a set of old metal lockers like these and got all the crap out of my gun safe including ammo (and knives, tools, slings, scopes, gun/scope paperwork). It's worked out great. Then I got two sets of keyed alike padlocks from eBay super cheap. The tall lockers also utilize vertical space. Got these on Craigslist.

https://i.imgur.com/0RtRkErl.jpg

gigx
01-18-2018, 11:58 PM
Any opinion on the plastic ammo box/can. They have a rubber gasket and appear to latch well. I use them for ammo, miscellaneous parts, mags... Just wondering if there are any negatives I am not seeing.

Dan K
01-19-2018, 07:27 AM
Any opinion on the plastic ammo box/can. They have a rubber gasket and appear to latch well. I use them for ammo, miscellaneous parts, mags... Just wondering if there are any negatives I am not seeing.

I use a combination of plastic and metal ammo cans. The metal ones for longer term storage and the plastic for miscellaneous items and range use. The plastic are more forgiving to my vehicle if they move around in the trunk and are lighter to carry.

3SHOOTINGKIDS
01-19-2018, 09:35 PM

The problem with the plastic cans are the flex in them when loaded. Load it up, lift by the handle and you can see it.

RockinRiley
01-20-2018, 08:38 PM
You could always use a food vacuum sealer. :)

Robertlamont80
04-24-2018, 11:08 AM
I'm all about using good quality ammo cans. Can get nice quality new production cans st Walmart for around $12!

Rooster 308
04-24-2018, 06:30 PM
Cool, dry and in ammo cans. That’s most important to me.

Viking
04-24-2018, 06:33 PM
You could always use a food vacuum sealer. :)

I’ve heard of people doing this with mixed results, that said I’ve also heard various cautions about vacuum sealing. I tried it once back in the days when my meager stash was all I was getting due to income limitations, so I decided to try it because I noticed some tarnishing on my older stuff so I vacuum sealed and marked one bag and from an identical batch purchesed at same time purposefully did not seal to watch the difference in how they aged. The sealed with a Desicant is still appearing to be pristine, while the unsealed package was fired to prevent it from aging too much to be unusable. Partially stopped vacuum packing due to reported risk, and partially because someone in my household broke the vacuum...

Now I store everything in a series of stackable “ammo crates” (that MTN? Makes) with desicant and so far they have held up pretty good for me to include travel.

I always hated how metal cans couldn’t be stacked when I was in military, always end up with leaning towers of heavy boxes teetering on the handles of boxes below and becoming leaning jenga towers.

dirtmcgirt76239
04-25-2018, 05:58 PM
I have multiple ammo cans for different things. Mostly 50 cal, some 30 cal, some other really tall ones forget what they were for originally I fill em with magazines just to organize them.

My usual method is a reusuable desicant you can put in the toaster and cook off moisture and a zerust capsule or tab what ever they are called. https://www.amazon.com/Zerust-VC2-2-NoRust-Vapor-Capsule/dp/B003T1H7IA

been wanting to try this https://www.amazon.com/BluGuard-Anti-Corrosion-Ammo-Liner/dp/B00BOS8XYM

Jwade78
04-30-2018, 12:36 PM
Do you guys leave the rounds in the boxes they came in or dump them in the cans?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

hunterspirit
04-30-2018, 12:58 PM
Some in boxes, some loose in the can

Jwade78
04-30-2018, 01:20 PM
Some in boxes, some loose in the canI just moved all my ammo into containers with a rubber seal and put it in the closet, came out of my safe. But I'm already running out of room

hunterspirit
04-30-2018, 01:25 PM
I have 1000 9mm in boxes in a 50 cal can

Jwade78
04-30-2018, 01:29 PM
I have 1000 9mm in boxes in a 50 cal canI need a 50 cal can, where can you get those?

hunterspirit
04-30-2018, 02:53 PM
Tractor Supply, walmart and ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PACK-50-Cal-M2A1-AMMO-CAN-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-FREE-SHIPPING/222405354460?hash=item33c86463dc:g:U7gAAOSwtfhYneT 9

Jwade78
04-30-2018, 02:54 PM
Tractor Supply, walmart and ebay

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-PACK-50-Cal-M2A1-AMMO-CAN-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-FREE-SHIPPING/222405354460?hash=item33c86463dc:g:U7gAAOSwtfhYneT 9Ok I'll keep an eye out

hunterspirit
04-30-2018, 02:54 PM
https://www.ebay.com/itm/12-PACK-50-Cal-M2A1-AMMO-CAN-VERY-GOOD-CONDITION-FREE-SHIPPING/222030785517?hash=item33b210ebed:g:obcAAOSw5ZBWPTP u

ussiso
05-14-2018, 07:51 AM
This is a challenge for me too. I like to use the factory boxes (which I have saved from previous use) but they are not very space-efficient, especially those which use foam inserts. I have also started using the utility boxes in which Berry's bullets are shipped, which are very well made (plastic snap lid) and should last forever. One of those will hold over 200 .380 rounds.

Zawero
06-05-2018, 05:17 AM
I keep ammo and firearms in the same room but locked in separate cabinets. Though I have a magazine loaded and sitting beside my pistol in the locked cabinet. I hope I'm alright after reading the confusing excerpt.

dirtmcgirt76239
06-08-2018, 08:27 PM
tall ammo cans from RPGs or what not. I get them online, fill it with 20 fal or galil, ak mags, and throw in a desicant and Zerust No Rust VC2-1 Vapor Capsule.

Frlall
06-19-2018, 02:31 AM
Ammo cans. 50 cal, .30 cal etc

Beretta 92FS
06-19-2018, 05:23 AM
I need a 50 cal can, where can you get those?

$8.97 at Walmart (https://bit.ly/2EVA8CL) (link)

Buy 4 and qualify for free shipping to your door. Am completely satisfied with mine. Caught them on a "rollback" for $6.99.

Jwade78
06-19-2018, 05:40 AM
$8.97 at Walmart (https://bit.ly/2EVA8CL) (link)

Buy 4 and qualify for free shipping to your door. Am completely satisfied with mine. Caught them on a "rollback" for $6.99.Ty

KyCoo
11-06-2018, 06:23 AM
Get a personal locker. A nice small storage unit with a password lock.

gwes351
01-14-2019, 07:09 AM
I have mine stored in (mostly) locked cabinets in the basement where it is temp and humidity controlled year round. A few of the heavier rifle ammo crates are on the floor. I have no small kids around to worry about.

JJS
01-14-2019, 07:11 PM
Stackable “Ammo Crate” amazon has them for $11, I have 50-60 of them. They have a rubber seal and are way easier to stack than the old ammo cans. I do put desiccant inside them to keep the moisture out

partdeux
01-14-2019, 08:27 PM
why would vacuum sealing ammo be bad for the ammo?

Roundballer
01-15-2019, 11:27 AM
why would vacuum sealing ammo be bad for the ammo?

One possible problem is the pressure differential popping the bullet loose with atmospheric pressure inside and a vacuum outside. (low)
There might be additional issues that don't directly affect or be "bad for the ammo", yet cause issues in storing. The previous report was "mixed results", not that everyone had problems.

I would view it as an unneeded expense where a sealed can and a little desiccant would serve as well, and is reusable.

DEVIL DOG
01-15-2019, 03:03 PM
I like using 50 cal GI ammo cans. Leave the rounds in the original boxes with desiccant packs.

Made this shelving unit out of 3/4" MDF. Very strong & sturdy. This setup is in an upstairs closet. Pretty much a controlled environment. I use masking tape to identify the different contents. There's a dry erase board on the door that has a running total of all of the ammo.

Not savvy enough to figure out why the pics are turned sideways. Not like that on my PC.

partdeux
01-16-2019, 08:55 PM
very nice DD

maustin195
01-17-2019, 10:28 AM
I have mine in ammo boxes inside a tool gang box.

SlayerXJ
07-16-2020, 02:35 PM