PDA

View Full Version : Garand Gas Plug

Shooter McNasty
10-25-2017, 06:55 PM
Anyone replace the Gas Plug to be able to shoot comerical ammo? If so what did you use??

jackstan
10-27-2017, 07:41 PM
I've installed a couple of them , I think they were made by Schuster . from the side they look much like the standard plug . Has an allen head screw inside for adjustment .

Never used commercial ammo in it yet but it will tone down some of the "lively" military offerings so I'm sure it would work for commercial .

Jack

crankythunder
10-28-2017, 05:33 AM
Hi McNasty:

I have one although I forget the manufacturer.

Takes a while to tune it and it is a bit touchy. Basically you unscrew it and then shoot a round and if it does not cycle, screw it in a quarter turn.

For me it is two complete turns to go from mil surp to commercial and back. still requires some fiddling so when I switch to commercial, it is a trip to the range to confirm it cycles properly and also to confirm zero (two clicks down for commercial on the rear sight)

I also have a scout scope that needs rezeroing as well.

Regards,
Crankster

Shooter McNasty
10-29-2017, 05:23 PM
Hi McNasty:

I have one although I forget the manufacturer.

Takes a while to tune it and it is a bit touchy. Basically you unscrew it and then shoot a round and if it does not cycle, screw it in a quarter turn.

For me it is two complete turns to go from mil surp to commercial and back. still requires some fiddling so when I switch to commercial, it is a trip to the range to confirm it cycles properly and also to confirm zero (two clicks down for commercial on the rear sight)

I also have a scout scope that needs rezeroing as well.

Regards,
Crankster
Thanks Guys

pmcombs
10-30-2017, 10:05 PM
Save yourself the messing around with an adjustable plug and just get one of these:

http://www.garandgear.com/ported-gas-plug.html

I have had a couple of them for years and had no problems at all shooting commercial ammo. Plus you can go back and forth between military surplus and commercial without having to adjust anything.