PDA

View Full Version : Rust Electrolysis

Pyzik
02-19-2009, 01:25 PM
Found this on the SurplusRifle forum...

http://www.surplusrifleforum.com/viewtopic.php?f=80&t=62728

Looks like a brilliant idea:bounce: ! Thought I would share for those new to home smithing like myself.

I am going to be attempting this soon.

Has anyone from this forum tried this? If so, what was your outcome.

HK USP
02-19-2009, 02:15 PM
Good information!!!

Rootsy
02-19-2009, 02:54 PM
Do this quite a bit with parts when I am working on antique tractors, etc...

pilot22
02-19-2009, 06:41 PM
Looks like i can start picking up more of those old rusty guns etc. at many garage sales in the summer. Hmmmmmmm!!!!!!:D

customizedcreationz
02-20-2009, 08:48 AM
Want an easier but stinky method ?

Muratic Acid diluted to 30-50 % with water. Just soak your part and watch the rust come off. Becareful not to leave it in too long though, which the same with the above mentioned method. Leave it in too long and you ll eat your part away.

I use this method with Electrolysis ( the Muratic Acid and I also use Sulfuric Acid for other platings ) when I strip plated parts. I left a stainless steel spoon in the solution with no current and came back a day later to find it completely dissolved !!! You can use a battery charger for your car as a rectifier and if you want use rated light bulbs in series to reduce the power to what you want.

If anyone is interested I can find the formula for the light bulbs. Its a pain to wire in light bulbs and what not , but if you are going to strip alot of parts and want to do it quickly then using electricity is the way to go. But if you can soak the parts and only doing it one time or once in a great while, then just muratic acid is the way to go.

Just use a diluted amount, test a small part first and then go for broke. Rinse off with tap water when done. Immediately spray down with some type of oil ( Rem Oil , WD 40 , something that will keep it from rusting right away ) and then clean and prep for your paint or coating. Which ever you choose.

If you have any questions feel free to pm me.

mixed mojo
02-21-2009, 08:01 PM
I've used the electrolysis method with a automotive battery charger. Clamp the submerged parts directly with the clamps on the charger. Having a charger with a needle helps confirm the charger is working.

I used paste wax after, to coat the treated parts, to prevent them from rusting.

The electrolysis method will remove paint.

I was satisfied with the results.