PDA

View Full Version : Worth the wait

Jackam
11-07-2017, 12:20 PM
I didn't shoot this deer, nor do I even know the guy that did. My wife works with him. He's so excited!

It's an impressive deer, to be sure, but the MOST impressive part is the story. He gut shot the deer. Most long time archers have had the same experience at least once. It's not what you hope for. Fortunately though, a gut shot deer is a dead deer. They sometimes leave only little blood to follow and rarely die right away.

I can't imagine the excitement that this guy went through. I've never arrowed a deer with a rack this impressive. I do know, however, the disappointment that he felt, the slow burn inside because my shot was wrong, and the worry that I killed an animal and may not find it. I know the thoughts that race through your mind after a bad shot "I wish I had waited. I wish I hadn't shot. I pray that we find it."

Shooting a deer in the guts, is not like shooting a deer in the lungs. Instead of waiting a short period and trailing it, you must wait much longer. It's hard to wait. The excitement, the anticipation, the hope (is there blood? Can I trail it? Did it go far?) always makes me start off on the trail much sooner than I should. Sometimes it works out for me, other times it hasn't. You need discipline trailing a gut shot deer. I don't have enough of it. His story will reinforce me if it happens again.

This guy waited five hours to start tracking the buck. He knew he made a bad shot and waited. The arrow passed right through and he had a decent track. The thin red blood and the occasional leaf with digested food helped him get to the spot that the deer layed down that morning. Unfortunately, five hours wasn't enough. The buck jumped up and ran off. He marked the spot and then waited until the next morning - almost 24 hours after he had made the shot.

His patience paid off. The dead deer was recovered and he now has a success story. He's a good hunter and an example of just what we owe these animals if we're going to be sticking them with broadheads.

Here's the pic:

ittayem66
11-07-2017, 02:06 PM
good work! I also start off on the trail much sooner than I should!

M.Schmitz87
11-07-2017, 02:54 PM
Hot damn. That's a nice buck. Way to be patient where patience was due.

Musta Demoni
11-07-2017, 10:01 PM
I've lost one deer in my life and it was with a bow. I thought it was a good shot... looked like a good shot. But I didn't wait long enough and the blood trail was weak and in dry leaves. About 30 minutes into tracking, already struggling in the dark to follow the blood trail, the wind whipped up and blew the leaves all over hell. I waited a bit longer and then headed in the general direction of where I thought he went, then I heard him jump up about 30 yards ahead of me and bolted.

I had to work the next morning. I should have taken the day off and went back in the morning to follow up.

Anyway, really nice deer. Congrats. I'm jealous.

mikeb32
11-07-2017, 10:59 PM
Nice looking Buck!!

mikethepike
11-11-2017, 12:12 PM
Sounds like he rushed the shot or needs more practice. You dont GUT SHOT anything besides looters

Nice deer nontheless

Jackam
11-12-2017, 11:27 AM
Sounds like he rushed the shot or needs more practice.

I've done it. Sometimes your heart is pumping so hard that you can hear your pulse when you open your mouth! It's hard to practice an adrenaline rush.

I saw one of the hunters on the Outdoor Channel gut shoot a deer. They hunt so much and shoot so many nice bucks that they sure don't get excited like I do. I'm not sure that I ever want that excitement to go away like that.

xtrema312
11-12-2017, 07:35 PM
Great buck and huge relief I am sure. You can shoot a million target shots, but live animals are not targets. Practice all you want, but it only takes you so far. Animal behavior, string jumping, wind, unseen twigs, being cold or tied, pumping adrenalin, .... can make the best archer make a less than ideal shoot. The best way to make sue a mature buck doesn't go on your wall is to take your time and wait for a better shoot.

I have waited

Musta Demoni
11-13-2017, 12:02 PM
Finally got lucky myself Saturday morning. This guy was an 8 point, but one point broke off near the base on one side. Decent 7 now anyways.

First deer I've got with a bow.

https://i.imgur.com/olLaBwUl.jpg

mikeb32
11-13-2017, 12:08 PM
ConGrats Young Man!!

Jackam
11-13-2017, 09:07 PM
First deer I've got with a bow.

NICE JOB!

Congrats! I am happy for you. You must have been fired up!

Musta Demoni
11-14-2017, 10:56 AM
ConGrats Young Man!!

NICE JOB!

Congrats! I am happy for you. You must have been fired up!

Thanks guys!

Yeah, I was definitely excited. Had some trouble tracking though and thought I might have lost it. The blood trail stopped about 20 yards from where I shot him. Eventually, after despairing for a while, I just started circling out and out and finally found him. He was about another 20 yards from where the blood trail stopped, so either the wound closed and/or he lost blood pressure.

Anyway, I was thrilled that I found him and everything worked out.

M.Schmitz87
11-14-2017, 11:18 AM
Nice one. And definately a trophy for your first archery buck! Wasn't able to get a buck to commit this season, only put two does in the freezer.
Again, good job my man!