PDA

View Full Version : AR-15 Buffer tube tip #1

Tedfs
02-20-2009, 09:05 AM
If you use the red loctite "glue stick" to attach a buffer tube to your AR lower receiver, you will need fire and vice-grips to remove said buffer tube in the future.

The expiration date on the loctite tube is inversely proportional to the amount of fire you will need to use to break the hold. Using mathematical equations similar to those used by NASA to plan a Space Shuttle launch, you can figure out the expiration date to fire ratio needed.

That is all for now.

RS2
02-20-2009, 09:19 AM
Learned that the hard way, huh?

That's why you stake the castle nut.

Tedfs
02-20-2009, 09:59 AM
Learned that the hard way, huh?

That's why you stake the castle nut.

This was for a sully stock, not a 6 position collapsible.

sullyxlh
02-20-2009, 03:01 PM
Your never supposed to use red(271)on anything but steel and it is permanent,
Blue(242) is removable and is for other metals...

Tedfs
02-20-2009, 07:48 PM
Blue is okay until you actually start using your rifle in high round count classes and start banging things around only to have it drop off and get lost in the grass.

While my post was a joke to get a chuckle from, I find it reassuring that the items I put on my rifle with red loctite need to be taken off with a propane torch .

Red loctite is not permanent in any way shape or form, it just needs heat to break the bond. I'd rather use some heat to remove the parts when I want them off rather then have them fall off when I don't want them to.

BTW congrats on 666 posts !

sullyxlh
02-20-2009, 09:14 PM
Blue is okay until you actually start using your rifle in high round count classes and start banging things around only to have it drop off and get lost in the grass.

While my post was a joke to get a chuckle from, I find it reassuring that the items I put on my rifle with red loctite need to be taken off with a propane torch .

Red loctite is not permanent in any way shape or form, it just needs heat to break the bond. I'd rather use some heat to remove the parts when I want them off rather then have them fall off when I don't want them to.

BTW congrats on 666 posts !Thankshttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/sullyxlh/evilsmile.gif
Wouldn't the heat transfer and distort??

Tedfs
02-21-2009, 09:01 AM
Thankshttp://i159.photobucket.com/albums/t160/sullyxlh/evilsmile.gif
Wouldn't the heat transfer and distort??

No

They don't get heated up for that long or that hot.