PDA

View Full Version : CMP 1911's update

qz2026
12-05-2017, 09:40 AM
For those of you who didn't receive this communication, here it is. It looks a little disconcerting and tedious, especially for repeat customers... And, it doesn't appear that they will be getting a large inventory of pistols in...

To all CMP constituents:

The CMP Board of Directors has discussed at length how the sales of 1911s would be handled, if the CMP were to ever receive them from the United States Army.

Some preliminary decisions:

Decisions concerning the grade and pricing of the 1911s will not be made until inspection has occurred of a substantial quantity which will take an estimated 150 days post receipt.

All laws pertaining to the sale of 1911s by CMP will be strictly obeyed.

Potential purchasers will have to provide to CMP a new set of documents exhibiting: 1) proof of U.S. Citizenship, 2) proof of membership in a CMP affiliated club, 3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity, 4) a new form 2A with notary, 5) successful completion of a NICS background check, 6) a signed copy of the 01 Federal Firearms License in which the 1911 will be transferred to.

The CMP customer will be required to complete a form 4473 in person and successfully complete another NICS check by the recipient FFL holder before the pistol can be transferred. )This is confusing for a C&R holder. )

Qualified CMP customer will only be allowed to purchase one 1911 per calendar year.

No 1911s available in the CMP stores, or on line, only mail order sales.

CMP will set the date in which it will accept orders for the 1911s. The date will be posted to the world.

Orders will only be accepted via mail order delivery.

Orders will only be accepted post marked on the date or after, no early orders.

Once CMP receives 10,000 orders, customer names will be loaded into the Random Number Generator. (Wonder how many they are actually receiving ?)

The Random Number Generator will provide a list of names in sequence order through a random picking process to CMP.

Customers will be contacted in the sequence provided by the Random Number Generator.
When the customer is contacted a list of 1911 grades and pricing options that are available will be offered for selection of one.
As CMP proceeds down the sequenced list less grade and pricing options will be available. Again, this done completely random.

Mark Johnson
Chief Operating Officer
Civilian Marksmanship Program
www.thecmp.org

GreaseMonkeySRT
12-05-2017, 11:26 AM
I hope this happens.

Glock2340ACP
12-05-2017, 11:37 AM
3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity

What would be an example of this? a receipt from the range for an hours time?

qz2026
12-05-2017, 12:23 PM
I just got an update from CMP. Their update is:

1911 type pistols purchased from CMP cannot be transferred to 03 FFL (curio and relic) license. BATF and the United States Army prefer the second background check be performed by a "store front" FFL dealer. Each customer purchasing a 1911 type pistol from CMP will be subjected to two NICS background checks, one performed by CMP and the other performed by the FFL dealer the pistol is being shipped to.

In addition, as noted by Glock1240ACP, you NOW need proof of being in a marksmanship program. This is new and severely limits those who will be able to purchase these. And, of course, pistols this old-made for military accuracy- would never be used by those participating in marksmanship programs. But, this does ensure that only a small (I hate to say it) elite group are able to purchase these.

When in fact, there is no more a collector's model of firearm that this pistol. Who, other than collectors of military history would buy these? Yet, it is being reserved for a specific group of people. I hate to have done this but here was my response to CMP...

Your stance on C&R holders just made up my mind. You can have all of your historical guns and rot in them. The Army nor you cannot skirt the law. On the one hand you will sell an M1 Rifle to a C&R but not a pistol that is closer to an antique than C&R eligible. You people and this government is the height of hypocrisy. It is odd that I have not seen a formal decision from the BATF on this. Go to hell CMP.

Roundballer
12-05-2017, 12:35 PM
3) proof of participation in a marksmanship activity

What would be an example of this? a receipt from the range for an hours time?

It would be some kind of proof that you completed an activity to learn marksmanship or use the skills that you have learned in a competition.

You also have to have a membership in a CMP affiliated org. Go to that org and participate in a shoot of some kind, get a copy of the final results with your name as a line item. Attending an Appleseed event and joining Appleseed will cover every part of the CMP requirements except the NICS and Citizenship lines. Your membership in MGO covers the affiliate part. One of the many shooting competitions listed in the forums or an outside shooting class, like YSINTG, would cover that activity portion.

The marksmanship activity is NOT a new requirement. It is the core of what the original program was based upon.

qz2026
12-05-2017, 12:44 PM
I beg to differ. This is a new requirement. No such requirement when I purchased my M1 last spring.

Jeep olllllo
12-05-2017, 01:10 PM
It would be some kind of proof that you completed an activity to learn marksmanship or use the skills that you have learned in a competition.

You also have to have a membership in a CMP affiliated org. Go to that org and participate in a shoot of some kind, get a copy of the final results with your name as a line item. Attending an Appleseed event and joining Appleseed will cover every part of the CMP requirements except the NICS and Citizenship lines. Your membership in MGO covers the affiliate part. One of the many shooting competitions listed in the forums or an outside shooting class, like YSINTG, would cover that activity portion.

The marksmanship activity is NOT a new requirement. It is the core of what the original program was based upon.

How would one prove it. I went to YSINTG, but I have no documentation.

hunterspirit
12-05-2017, 01:15 PM
They will have soft metal, and you won't be shooting hot loads. *** the CMP

DrScaryGuy
12-05-2017, 01:16 PM
How would one prove it. I went to YSINTG, but I have no documentation.

give them your facebook logon so they can see you're on the MDFI alumni page?

Roundballer
12-05-2017, 02:21 PM
I beg to differ. This is a new requirement. No such requirement when I purchased my M1 last spring.

You may beg all you want, but that requirement has been there for decades. You may have established qualification without knowing it, or they may have just let you slip by. Another possibility is that they may be just paying closer attention now. They used to accept a drivers license and your word for the citizenship requirement. They now require a little more substantial proof.

Marksmanship or other Firearms Related Activity:

You must provide proof of participation in a marksmanship related activity or otherwise show familiarity with the safe handling of firearms and range procedures. Your marksmanship related activity does not have to be with highpower rifles; it can be with smallbore rifles, pistols, air guns or shotguns. Proof of marksmanship participation can be provided by documenting any of the following:

Current or past military service.
Current or past law enforcement service
Participation in a rifle, pistol, air gun or shotgun competition (provide copy of results bulletin).
Completion of a marksmanship clinic that included live fire training (provide a copy of the certificate of completion or a statement from the instructor).
Distinguished, Instructor, or Coach status.
Concealed Carry License.
Firearms Owner Identification Cards that included live fire training. - FFL or C&R license.
Completion of a Hunter Safety Course that included live fire training.
Certification from range or club official or law enforcement officer witnessing shooting activity. Complete the CMP Marksmanship Form to certify your range firing and the required marksmanship related activity for an individual to purchase from the CMP.

No proof of marksmanship required if over age 60. Proof of club membership and citizenship required for all ages. NOTE: Proof of marksmanship activity is not required for purchase of ammunition, parts, publications or memorabilia.
http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/

Lots of people fit into one of those in the bulleted list, and just answered "yes" or showed a CPL or Hunters-ED card and didn't realize what it meant.

Glock2340ACP
12-05-2017, 02:35 PM
Ah, cool, CPL covers it, Thank you Roundballer:cheers:

pscipio03
12-05-2017, 09:02 PM
They are setting the price at $1,000 or higher to make sure the pistols are bought by 'collectors' who would 'never use them to rob a liquor store'. The best grade weapons will be sent to auction. So, what you're left with is the bottom of the barrel pistols that will not have matching serial numbers and will be Ike Turner'd to death.
In other words, they are pricing them too high for most people to buy them. The ones that do have the money for it would be paying 3x what they are worth.
I hope this blows up in CMP's face. I have lost all respect for that organization.

DP425
12-05-2017, 10:24 PM
My opinion here...

They should strictly follow the law, not create their own policies in addition to the law. If these would otherwise be C&R qualified, then they should treat them that way.

That said, as far as pricing goes, CMP should be selling these for whatever the market deems to be reasonable, with the qualifications to purchase being the same they have always been. They should not be clearing these out at rock bottom prices. Simply put, CMP does the shooting sports a lot of good, and the supply of surplus firearms, for which they sell to fund their operations, is quickly drying up. These M1911's are likely to be the last "new" addition to the items which they may sell. MAYBE sniper rifles in quantity some day, but I doubt it. Wouldn't hold my breath on M9's or M11's ("high capacity" and "modern")... and you can bet the farm that M14's and M16's won't make it to CMP either. So, they need to get whatever the market will give for the items they are selling now.

pscipio03
12-06-2017, 10:10 AM
My opinion here...

They should strictly follow the law, not create their own policies in addition to the law. If these would otherwise be C&R qualified, then they should treat them that way.

That said, as far as pricing goes, CMP should be selling these for whatever the market deems to be reasonable, with the qualifications to purchase being the same they have always been. They should not be clearing these out at rock bottom prices. Simply put, CMP does the shooting sports a lot of good, and the supply of surplus firearms, for which they sell to fund their operations, is quickly drying up. These M1911's are likely to be the last "new" addition to the items which they may sell. MAYBE sniper rifles in quantity some day, but I doubt it. Wouldn't hold my breath on M9's or M11's ("high capacity" and "modern")... and you can bet the farm that M14's and M16's won't make it to CMP either. So, they need to get whatever the market will give for the items they are selling now.

Steve Cooper, General Manager CMP North, "“Even though they may be shot out or busted up, we don’t want them falling into the hands of people who will just leave them in a glove box,” Cooper told The Gun Writer. “We want a perceived value — more of an heirloom. We don’t want them considered a standard sidearm. All we need is to have someone commit a liquor store robbery with one and then we’ll be held accountable.”
Smacks of the same liberal logic of making someone wait 7 days before they can buy a firearm; keep magazine capacity at less than X number of rounds; don't let bumpstocks remain legal; etc... Pricing that busted up 1911 at $1,500 doesn't mean it can't e stolen and used in a robbery. The 1911 is my favorite pistol and I love taking them apart; shooting; and tweaking them. A gun like this would be perfect for someone to learn the ropes of 1911s. But, when a RIA brand new is 1/3 the price-- you get the idea.

Glock2340ACP
12-09-2017, 06:32 PM
So what I'm hearing is punt on this idea and go buy a Dan Wesson? :scratch:

pscipio03
12-09-2017, 08:39 PM
So what I'm hearing is punt on this idea and go buy a Dan Wesson? :scratch:

I'd buy a DW or used Baer before one of these.
And that's too bad. I really wanted to get my hands on one and make it safe queen.

dwcopple
12-10-2017, 08:19 AM
*** the CMP
:yeahthat:

DEVIL DOG
12-11-2017, 12:04 AM
They have turned into the typical government bureaucracy that we all know & love.

ZYA_LTR
12-13-2017, 06:29 AM
SO my question from looking at the other side of the fence, since I know enough to be dangerous about the CMP's operating agreement.....

The CMP uses the finds form all surplus sales to further fund the program which teaches marksmanship to civilians.
They are bound by contract by the .GOV to follow certain rules and requirements, regardless of personal feeling of the masses.
In today's society, they need to be aware of both sides of how the public views citizens buying surplus military firearms from a government entity.

And before anyone assumes, I totally agree that they are typical bureaucracy, but at least they are providing an avenue to acquire these surplus items instead of having uncle sugar destroy them like the do daily with M16s with captain crunch, which is disgusting. I am in no way agreeing with the whole process, but the CMP generally has done more good for us than a lot of other entities has.

So should they sell these for dirt cheap prices and not try to fund the organization as well as possible to ensure that they are not around long enough to do any good, disregard what the .gov contract says, and sell these over the counter with no proof of id, or the regular requirements that have been in place for all CMP firearm purchases?

Although I do agree that 2 NICS checks is dumb, if they are now going to be a 01 FFL, then just follow the procedure of all other 01 FFL's and verify the receiving FFL's status and ship the damn thing. Maybe if everyone is all twisted up about this, we should just write letters to our congressman that the hassle is too great for purchasing these, and that they should simply melt these down as we are not interested in buying them, and their is no way that these will sell out in a matter of hours, given that the 10,000 quantity is way more than the amount of firearm collectors looking to buy them, let alone the random guy that will probably shoot the crap about it, or use it as a start for a dream custom/refurb pistol by his favorite builder.

I'm not trying to piss in cheerios, but I guess I am just reading a lot of forums that folks are bitching about the bad, and not looking at the good of this whole scenario, kinda millenialish to me....why can't it get one for cheap and easy by just buying online and having it shipped to my door like the rifles are, and why can't the C&R work to buy them, even though their is a majority of these that are not C&R eligible. Why can't the CMP search every one to determine the serial number and see when it was originally made and then make separate categories of them to the C&R guys and track all that and be able to verify a C&R through ATF's EZcheck...(which you can't). I'll probably be the bad guy on this, but I guess my inner old crabby man just sees a lot of bitching about what should be a good thing. I personally gave up on getting one of these based upon the details surrounding everything, but can respect that they are at least able to do it. I chose to skip this, and buy other new toys instead to make my holiday guntime brighter.

Buffman
12-13-2017, 12:21 PM
I'm all for what they're doing, but the rules surrounding the sale of them not to mention the price (and the statement surrounding the pricing method) are very off putting to me. Most of all of that screams "IM a FUDD and I don't want the masses owning a gun that you can put 'high capacity' clipazines in so you can go with your gangbangers and rob a liquor store". What criminal would purposely seek out the CMP to purchase a 1911.. Must be the same ones who went through all the troubles of creating a Trust so they could get a suppressor to help rob said liquor store?

I kind of wanted one because my grandfather was in WWII. I'm not much of a collector and would want to use it from time to time and to own a piece of history, but at $1000+, I'll just go buy a new 1911...

dwcopple
12-13-2017, 12:49 PM
So should they sell these for dirt cheap prices? YES!

why can't the C&R work to buy them, even though their is a majority of these that ARE C&R eligible. Why can't the CMP search every one to determine the serial number and see when it was originally made and then make separate categories of them to the C&R guys and track all that and be able to verify a C&R through ATF's EZcheck...(which you can't). .
These should ALL be C&R the same way that the CZ82 is which has nothing to do with being over 50 years old. C&R holders should have first dibs at MUCH MUCH lower prices than what CMP is jacking them up to be. The whole thing is ludicrous

Jackam
12-13-2017, 04:11 PM
C&R holders should have first dibs at MUCH MUCH lower prices than what CMP is jacking them up to be.

Why?

Jackam
12-13-2017, 04:12 PM
C&R holders should have first dibs at MUCH MUCH lower prices than what CMP is jacking them up to be.
And why should they?

JohnS624
12-13-2017, 05:57 PM
And why should they?

So that dw can get one cheap. That's all he cares about. He doesn't care about funding marksmanship programs. Also, many here aren't putting any value on the history of the guns. They could have been used to save a soldier's life. Very few civilian guns can claim that.

Jackam
12-13-2017, 07:47 PM
My Dad told me that in WWII he couldn't hit the broad side of a barn with one.
If you got lucky and actually hit the barn, you earned the title of Marksman. :D

I'd still rather have one than not if I were in trouble!

pscipio03
12-13-2017, 08:43 PM
So that dw can get one cheap. That's all he cares about. He doesn't care about funding marksmanship programs. Also, many here aren't putting any value on the history of the guns. They could have been used to save a soldier's life. Very few civilian guns can claim that.

A Glock 17 could have saved a LEO's life
A M9 could have saved a number of Joes.
A M4... and so on and so on.
This doesn't hold much water with me. I had an issue M9 and M16A2 that may have saved a number of lives later down the line. I'm not going to pay extra for that unless it's someone I knew or cared about.

The guys and gals that usually support marksmanship programs are salt of the earth and can't afford to pay $1,500 for a shot-out 1911. They are the ones who help teach courses to young kids; get RSO certified; and proudly wear whatever Pro 2A group they believe in's hat. Your statement is a non sequitur when it comes to how high CMP is pricing these.
Maybe I'm crazy for thinking that something paid for by taxpayer money should be sold at a price point that the common person can buy. And yeah, I'm pissed that these firearms were purchased using our grandparents (at least for me) taxes and now they are charging a premium to make sure some schmuck doesn't hold up a Speedway.

JohnS624
12-13-2017, 08:55 PM
A Glock 17 could have saved a LEO's life
A M9 could have saved a number of Joes.
A M4... and so on and so on.
This doesn't hold much water with me. I had an issue M9 and M16A2 that may have saved a number of lives later down the line. I'm not going to pay extra for that unless it's someone I knew or cared about.

When's the last time the government sold any M9s or M4s? Maybe you need to read up on the DCM/CMP and find out how they are funded.
As far as doing my part, I ran the MI junior rifle team one year and was rifle chairman of my club and ran several M1 Garand classes and ran many certified and registered matches.

dwcopple
12-13-2017, 09:31 PM

And there is good ol' John throwing his famous cheap shot at me every chance he gets...sigh, some people

pscipio03
12-13-2017, 09:35 PM
When's the last time the government sold any M9s or M4s? Maybe you need to read up on the DCM/CMP and find out how they are funded.
As far as doing my part, I ran the MI junior rifle team one year and was rifle chairman of my club and ran several M1 Garand classes and ran many certified and registered matches.

I'm not trying to start an internet pissing contest on this- it's each of our opinions.
And, no, of course they aren't selling M4's. That's not the point and the entire reason I said your point is a non sequitur.
And, how the CMP is funding still doesn't deviate from the fact that those firearms were paid for using tax payer money. I find it ludicrous they are going to gouge.

Buffman
12-13-2017, 09:36 PM
I'm not trying to start an internet pissing contest on this- it's each of our opinions.
And, no, of course they aren't selling M4's. That's not the point and the entire reason I said your point is a non sequitur.
And, how the CMP is funding still doesn't deviate from the fact that those firearms were paid for using tax payer money. I find it ludicrous they are going to gouge.

But please think of the children!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

JohnS624
12-13-2017, 09:51 PM
And there is good ol' John throwing his famous cheap shot at me every chance he gets...sigh, some people

Say stupid things, get replies calling you on it. You would know, better than anyone, what a "cheap" shot is...

dwcopple
12-14-2017, 09:02 AM
Wake the F up John, I don't cheap shot anyone. You call me cheap all the time. Get lost. I didn't say anything stupid. Take your opinion and shove it up your :lipseal: for once. I post more deals, offer free coupon codes to Cabelas, and post videos of actual value here which is far more than ANYONE can say that you do. You just seem hell bent on following me around on here to throw shots at me. And you seem really pissed off that I manage to find some outstanding deals out there that you can't seem to figure out how I do it.

I hate that I finally had to speak up but the moderators let you run around here bashing people (mainly myself) without repurcussion.

cmr19xx
12-14-2017, 09:25 AM
YES!

These should ALL be C&R the same way that the CZ82 is which has nothing to do with being over 50 years old. C&R holders should have first dibs at MUCH MUCH lower prices than what CMP is jacking them up to be. The whole thing is ludicrous

What is your reasoning for C&R holders getting first dibs or being able to buy them at a lower price than the general public? Not bashing, just curious...

JohnS624
12-14-2017, 10:11 AM
And you seem really pissed off that I manage to find some outstanding deals out there that you can't seem to figure out how I do it.

Now that's funny.

Jackam
12-14-2017, 10:55 AM
What is your reasoning for C&R holders getting first dibs or being able to buy them at a lower price than the general public? Not bashing, just curious...

I asked that in a post above as well. I'm open to the idea, but what's the logic behind it?

dwcopple
12-14-2017, 01:09 PM
Because the C&R holders are people serious enough to spend the time and money to get approved and pass a background check through the ATF to be a licensed 03 FFL holder. Less need to run NICS and all the other BS that the CMP is trying to impose. Largely, the C&R FFL has been a waste of time for years now. It is time for those holders to get a break again. JMHO

Cocowheats
12-14-2017, 01:19 PM
CMP ought to be able to turn a profit while not raping the citizens that buy them. Granted, you can never make everyone happy, but there should still be better middle ground than this, IMHO.

The price is steep and some of the comments being made by CMP officials on the matter are asinine. I'll pass on these...

Glock2340ACP
12-14-2017, 08:22 PM
CMP ought to be able to turn a profit while not raping the citizens that buy them. Granted, you can never make everyone happy, but there should still be better middle ground than this, IMHO.

The price is steep and some of the comments being made by CMP officials on the matter are asinine. I'll pass on these...

This, I'm okay with requiring a "sporting group" membership and/or having some other shooting related activity. The double background checks is just CYA. What burns me is the price, or estimated pricing. I'm shopping for a Colt Series 70 or 80 at this time. I wish them luck, hate to say, hope they get stuck with them. Which is sad........

Rootsy
12-15-2017, 10:58 AM
Meh, I say charge what the market will bear. Life isn’t fair. I am sure there are a lot of ppl out there that want a new Mercedes but can’t afford one. Fund the endowment to it’s full potential. I don’t understand the butthurt. It seems to all be out of principle that these will be mail order only and you have to submit to 2 background checks which is a requirement outside of the CMP’s control.

If you have a Michigan CPL the 2nd check never happens, just the 4473.

Jackam
12-15-2017, 11:03 AM
From GunsAmerica:

CMP Further Clarifies the Plan for Selling 1911s (https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/cmp-clarifies-selling-1911s/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20171215_FridayDigest_152&utm_campaign=/blog/cmp-clarifies-selling-1911s/)

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP’s enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Isn't "fair market value" defined as charging only what the market will bear, hence - a selling price for an item to which a buyer and seller can agree?

Sell them all for ten grand each if that's what you can get. Why wouldn't they?

pscipio03
12-15-2017, 11:11 AM
From GunsAmerica:

CMP Further Clarifies the Plan for Selling 1911s (https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/cmp-clarifies-selling-1911s/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20171215_FridayDigest_152&utm_campaign=/blog/cmp-clarifies-selling-1911s/)

Concerning sale price of the 1911s: CMP has been selling M1 Garands, M1 Carbines, 1903s, .22s, etc. for 21+ years and we have never taken advantage of anyone. CMP is not going to start price gouging people now with the 1911s. The 1911s will be priced at fair market value just like our M1 Garands. The CMP’s enabling legislation directs sales of items at fair market value.

Isn't "fair market value" defined as charging only what the market will bear, hence - a selling price for an item to which a buyer and seller can agree?

Because, unless I'm wrong on this, they are the only ones allowed to sell them to the community. Is the gov't releasing them to other entities that could help actually create a fair market value? Or, are they only releasing to the CMP which can charge what they would like because they are the only ones legally allowed to be the initial seller? If CMP only, well, that's called price fixing and is not a true fair market value.

JohnS624
12-15-2017, 12:36 PM
Meh, I say charge what the market will bear. Life isn’t fair. I am sure there are a lot of ppl out there that want a new Mercedes but can’t afford one. Fund the endowment to it’s full potential. I don’t understand the butthurt. It seems to all be out of principle that these will be mail order only and you have to submit to 2 background checks which is a requirement outside of the CMP’s control.

If you have a Michigan CPL the 2nd check never happens, just the 4473.

That's because nobody seems to care about what the real purpose and funding of the CMP is all about. I consider it similar to buying a $20 raffle ticket with no chance of winning because it's supporting a good cause.
I remember when a person was only allowed ONE M1 Garand. From your constant generous offers to help people get started in HP shooting, with no takers, I guess they don't care about marksmanship training.

Cletus
12-15-2017, 01:56 PM
If CMP only, well, that's called price fixing and is not a true fair market value.

I agree they are stretching the truth by calling it a "fair market value". In essence, they are establishing a base price. Same as they have done with the '03's, garands, etc..

That said... I'll buy one as soon as they are available, just cuz. I hope to stumble on a garand and '03 just to put in the safe and pass on to the next generation.

Cocowheats
12-15-2017, 10:51 PM
From GunsAmerica:

Oh, so now they want to forget about the comments made on pricing them high enough that criminals can't afford them for their liquor store robberies and consequently price them "fairly". :rolleyes:

SADAacp
12-21-2017, 12:05 PM
According to Range365:

When you’re talking about guns that are this old, that have been stored this long after surviving who knows what length or intensity of Army service, very few of these 1911s are likely to be in mint condition, and most will probably have issues that need to be resolved.

That said, if any rare 1911s, like those made by Singer or US&S during the wars, will be pulled from the lots and sold on individual auction by the CMP, the story says, which is usual.

The guns in the crates may have been manufactured by Colt, Ithaca, North American, Remington Rand, Singer, UMC, and Union Switch & Signal as well as Springfield Armory. They just won’t know until they open them up.

The CMP ranks and grades the surplus M1 Garand rifles it sells, so it’s to be expected they will do something similar with the 1911s. This will dictate their price based on the market.

So why all the hype about possibly parting with a grand or more for these 1911's?

https://www.range365.com/how-to-buy-cmp-surplus-m1911-pistol

scatter
12-25-2017, 10:36 AM
Ok. Well, I'm thinking about doing this.

I've been trying to read up on this around the web, but I still have some unanswered questions.

It doesn't appear to be random. From what I've gathered, CMP is going to inspect and grade these just like they do their other firearms. So, does that mean you will know exactly what you're getting? I.E- brand, condition, etc?
As far as "proof of a marksmanship program"- does CPL training actually qualify? How about my DD-214?
And as far a membership in an organization- I take it our MGO membership cards are sufficient?

As long as they're not just going to be handing you some random piece of crap, and can at least give some indication of how it's assembled, it should be okay.
I've got a feeling, as public pressure mounts, this entire process is going to continue to evolve, and get a little better. CMP, regardless of what many may think, does have a somewhat decent reputation on these matters. And I'm sure they will want to continue with that.

ZYA_LTR
12-25-2017, 11:44 AM
Ok. Well, I'm thinking about doing this.

I've been trying to read up on this around the web, but I still have some unanswered questions.

It doesn't appear to be random. From what I've gathered, CMP is going to inspect and grade these just like they do their other firearms. So, does that mean you will know exactly what you're getting? I.E- brand, condition, etc?
As far as "proof of a marksmanship program"- does CPL training actually qualify? How about my DD-214?
And as far a membership in an organization- I take it our MGO membership cards are sufficient?

As long as they're not just going to be handing you some random piece of crap, and can at least give some indication of how it's assembled, it should be okay.
I've got a feeling, as public pressure mounts, this entire process is going to continue to evolve, and get a little better. CMP, regardless of what many may think, does have a somewhat decent reputation on these matters. And I'm sure they will want to continue with that.

The first batch of 1911's coming from the Army to the CMP will be all condition code "A" or "B" so these are the nicest that the Army has in inventory currently. The CMP will still probably go through each one to verify serial numbers and manufacturer and condition. All of the rare manufacturers will most definitely go to auction to bring the most money for the CMP, such as US&S, Rem UMC, Springfield, or RIA/Augusta renumbers, as well as any of the USN/USMC specific ones. The serial number list is already done for what is being transferred to the CMP, it is just a paperwork process currently until CMP picks up the 1911's and starts cataloging and processing.

Roundballer
12-25-2017, 12:15 PM
Ok.
<-snip->

Yes and Yes and Yes.
Your CPL counts, so does proof of past Military Service: Eligibility Requirements - CMP (http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/eligibility-requirements/)

And, MGO is currently an affiliated organization. You will have to search, but it is listed: The CMP do=clubSearch (https://ct.thecmp.org/app/v1/index.php?do=clubSearch) Just search the words "Michigan Gun" and the State of Michigan.

Gralewaj
02-20-2019, 08:46 PM
I sent in a 1911 application, still waiting on a number. Has anyone here received their number or gotten a CMP 1911 yet?

mtlucas0311
02-23-2019, 12:11 AM
This threads over a year old, pry shoulda’ just started a new one. But to answer your question, yes I’m #3573. I expect to be hearing from them any time. People in the low 3,000’s are getting calls now.

Jackam
03-01-2019, 01:09 PM
They are setting the price at $1,000 or higher to make sure the pistols are bought by 'collectors' who would 'never use them to rob a liquor store'. The best grade weapons will be sent to auction. So, what you're left with is the bottom of the barrel pistols that will not have matching serial numbers and will be Ike Turner'd to death.
In other words, they are pricing them too high for most people to buy them. The ones that do have the money for it would be paying 3x what they are worth.
I hope this blows up in CMP's face. I have lost all respect for that organization.

CMP Reports Demand for M1911s Outstrips Supply by More than Double (https://www.gunsamerica.com/digest/cmp-demand-m1911s/?utm_source=email&utm_medium=20190301_FridayDigest_215&utm_campaign=/digest/cmp-demand-m1911s/)

Buffman
03-01-2019, 11:15 PM
Have any have been used to rob a liquor store :idea2:

Rlxlvr
03-02-2019, 12:04 AM
Just out of curiosity, where does one find non matching government issued 1911s for $300-350?

dwcopple
03-02-2019, 07:24 AM
Just out of curiosity, where does one find non matching government issued 1911s for $300-350?

Sarco?