PDA

View Full Version : In this thread we cry about CMP 1911's

tenthumbs
05-23-2018, 01:14 PM
No Garand complaints please.;)

A sneak peak at the CMP 1911 inventory, soon to be up for grabs (PHOTOS)

With 8,000 vintage M1911 pistols transferred to the marksmanship organization from the Army’s attic for sale to the public, there is a little bit of everything in the stockpile.

American Rifleman recently got a chance to take a look behind the curtain at the milsurp windfall now secured in “largest bank vault in Calhoun County, Alabama” to see just what the military passed down. The cache amounted to some 96 crates of guns from two different sources from within the Army.

As previously reported by Guns.com, the U.S. Army’s Museum Support Center at Anniston Army Depot had some 1,500 literally museum-quality M1911 pistols ready to transfer to CMP last year once the red tape was sliced. According to American Rifleman Editor Mark Keefe, they are indeed classics.

We spent almost an hour sorting through the museum crates, finding the pistols to be mostly of Colt manufacture with a variety of all original and mixed A1 parts. One Remington-UMC Model of 1911 discovered among the many Colts aroused great excitement. They all appeared to have original factory finish and they all are equipped with World War II-era plastic grips. There are even a handful of National Match M1911A1s among them.

http://www.guns.com/2018/05/23/a-sneak-peak-at-the-cmp-1911-inventory-soon-to-be-up-for-grabs-photos/

dwcopple
05-23-2018, 02:08 PM
No C&R=:freak:

DrScaryGuy
05-23-2018, 02:10 PM
I only had one 1911. I bought it factory new in 2011. It was my only .45. I had to sell it to make a mortgage payment last year.
I want a 1942 1911 to match my 1942 garand.

balrog006
05-24-2018, 09:15 AM
No C&R=:freak:

CMP purchasing requires a C&R? What am I not understanding from your post? The previously posted purchase process for these didn’t include a licensing requirement IIRC...?

Roundballer
05-24-2018, 09:50 AM
CMP purchasing requires a C&R? What am I not understanding from your post? The previously posted purchase process for these didn’t include a licensing requirement IIRC...?

What you are missing is the opposite of what you are thinking, more or less.

The complaint is that he wants to use his C&R to by-pass all of the process with the double check and the FFL, which would be the case for these (I believe) if purchased from any other place.

There is no other conditions or exceptions to the process that Legislature has established.

GreaseMonkeySRT
05-24-2018, 02:22 PM
The prices aren't terrible, but I'd hope if I select the top graded pistol I don't get one that was re-done in the 70s. I'd be pissed.

I'm still going to go after one, as a WWII era 1911 is high on my list of wants, but not enough to pay over $2500 for some of the collector ones out there. The hoops are a pain, but I meet all of the requirements so it is what it is.

balrog006
05-25-2018, 12:42 PM
What you are missing is the opposite of what you are thinking, more or less.

The complaint is that he wants to use his C&R to by-pass all of the process with the double check and the FFL, which would be the case for these (I believe) if purchased from any other place.

There is no other conditions or exceptions to the process that Legislature has established.

So he wanted a direct buy C&R process, but there isn’t one-just the CMP buying snafu of a process-gotcha!

Garandsrus
05-25-2018, 05:21 PM
I am pretty sure all of them were rebuilt at some point in time, especially any from WW1.

qz2026
06-02-2018, 06:08 AM
The decision by CMP not to accept C&R licenses pushed me over the edge. I note that when I bought my M1, the C&R was perfectly acceptable as it is acceptable for every firearm manufactured 50 or more years ago with only minor acceptations such as some 01FFL's who, for one reason or another, refuse to sell to C&R FFL holders. Plus, as someone said above, these pistols will amount to a "windfall" to CMP based on their price range and auction process. After reading my email from CMP, I decided I am not doing business with them any longer. Went out and bought a Rock Island 1911 for about $350 which is a darn nice pistol. And, no rattles.

Warhorse
06-02-2018, 09:48 AM
My understanding is that most are over priced junk.

GreaseMonkeySRT
06-04-2018, 08:16 AM
My understanding is that most are over priced junk.

Where is that info coming from?

Dolomite
06-04-2018, 09:19 AM
^ This is the crying thread after all :thumbup:

I'm still going to try and get one - don't really care what anyone says.

I look at this from the point of view that I'm rescuing a USGI 1911A1 from the US Government - no telling what will happen to those poor, old pistols if they stay in US Gov't hands much longer.

And I won't say how much over $1050 I was willing to pay, because some of you would have a fit.

TheWabbit
06-04-2018, 03:01 PM
I'm just going to cry because I couldn't afford one at this time!

dwcopple
06-04-2018, 07:41 PM
I'm just going to cry because I couldn't afford one at this time!

They don't accept credit cards?

Warhorse
06-05-2018, 11:14 AM
Where is that info coming from?

I read it on the internet, therefore it must be true, correct? :silly:

nrich1979
06-05-2018, 02:49 PM
It is an expensive wall piece..

Question from those who have actually purchased one before.

The internet told me that what you buy isn’t a complete firearm but an almagamtion of 1911 parts that assemble together.

Your slide may be Springfield, frame Remington,barrel some other firearm..

No matching serial numbers

Is this true?

shadowthrone
06-05-2018, 09:39 PM
I may be missing something, but what exactly is their value based on? Just that they are WW2 guns? Some of the 1.9 million made?

I looked at the price sheet, and the combination of price and condition is seriously puzzling to me:

Service Grade $1050. Pistol may exhibit minor pitting and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Field Grade $950. Pistol may exhibit minor rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips are complete with no cracks. Pistol is in issuable condition.

Rack Grade $850. Pistol will exhibit rust, pitting, and wear on exterior surfaces and friction surfaces. Grips may be incomplete and exhibit cracks. Pistol requires minor work to return to issuable condition.

Auction Grade (Sales will to be determined by auctioning the pistol). The condition of the auction pistol will be described when posted for auction.

As far as I can tell, it's an overpriced conversation piece, as even the best they have has pitting, and anything cheaper is pitted, rusty and worn out.

I would jump all over this for $200-300 as a restoration project, but at the price they are charging, you would think that there are only 8000 of these in the world...

ZYA_LTR
06-09-2018, 09:26 PM
It is an expensive wall piece..

Question from those who have actually purchased one before.

The internet told me that what you buy isn’t a complete firearm but an almagamtion of 1911 parts that assemble together.

Your slide may be Springfield, frame Remington,barrel some other firearm..

No matching serial numbers

Is this true?

Nick, these are just as your assumption leads you, these are complete firearms, but as they have been in use for decades, have gone through both re-arsenal, as well as depot and unit level armorer repairs, where manufacturer and originality is of no concern, just functionality. If you have any questions give me a holler, as i have more info regarding these, as i have had some dealings with them from work, and have more info to be shared......hehe.

I can tell you that if you are considering buying one, get in on the first batch, as all the condition code "A" guns that the Army had were transferred to the CMP in this first batch. The other branches still have their 1911's, but as of now the Army pistols are the only ones that are being transferred.

dwcopple
06-10-2018, 07:29 AM
I can tell you that if you are considering buying one, get in on the first batch, as all the condition code "A" guns that the Army had were transferred to the CMP in this first batch. The other branches still have their 1911's, but as of now the Army pistols are the only ones that are being transferred.

you do realize there is only 8K to be distributed and they anticipate 75K orders. It is a lottery system and there is NO guarantee you will even get selected to buy

castrotikon
06-11-2018, 11:34 AM
I'll be interested to see when all is said and done, how many orders they end up getting. I'm pretty sure I've heard more people unhappy with the price than I've heard saying they're going to pick one up.

I'll admit, I was interested in getting one but then I saw the price tags for what I consider "less than ideal" wear and opted out.

TheWabbit
06-11-2018, 04:40 PM
They don't accept credit cards?

Nothing goes on the the CC unless it's an emergency or it gets paid off at the end of the month.

nrich1979
06-11-2018, 05:06 PM
Nick, these are just as your assumption leads you, these are complete firearms, but as they have been in use for decades, have gone through both re-arsenal, as well as depot and unit level armorer repairs, where manufacturer and originality is of no concern, just functionality. If you have any questions give me a holler, as i have more info regarding these, as i have had some dealings with them from work, and have more info to be shared......hehe.

Thank you for clarifying for me

tenthumbs
06-13-2018, 01:26 PM
http://thecmp.org/wp-content/uploads/CMP1911OrderForm.pdf

dwcopple
06-13-2018, 09:10 PM
Nothing goes on the the CC unless it's an emergency or it gets paid off at the end of the month.

Get a new one with 12 months 0% interest. Interest is for suckers

dwcopple
06-13-2018, 09:10 PM
I'll be interested to see when all is said and done, how many orders they end up getting. I'm pretty sure I've heard more people unhappy with the price than I've heard saying they're going to pick one up.

I'll admit, I was interested in getting one but then I saw the price tags for what I consider "less than ideal" wear and opted out.

There will be tons of orders from old duffers who don't get on computers and Internet forums

sparksbl
01-23-2019, 07:06 PM
Just received my random generated number today, so it looks like I will be getting one at some point in time. # is 4640. Will update when I get more info from them.

SKYTROOPER
02-04-2019, 08:13 PM
OK, I MUST ADMIT i PAID CMP $1,050 and received a 1911A1. It is a Colt A1 based on serial number, made in1945 and has the ordnance final inspection mark of John S. Begley, J.S.B. I am of mixed feeling about it however. Its service grade and has been completely rebuild, has a great trigger pull, is solid with little slide play and the frame marking are still sharp and outstanding. The barrel is an HS and looks new and the other parts are fine.

The cons are it is refinished. it a great refinish and if my memory serves me right has the same refinish that the 45s we were passing out to the Arvins in 65 but I was a bit disappointed ii did not show some honest wear.

The other con is the slide. Its a post war replacement that was made under govt contract by San Col Mar Industries. Some collectors tell the slide is a rarity by itself as very few were made by this company but I would much rather got a Colt. Means I will have to find the Colt slide I have somewhere and possibility find someone who can match the parking on the frame.

Now I have to decide whether to keep it or swap with a collector friend for another 1911 plus.

SMLE
02-04-2019, 08:51 PM
OK, I MUST ADMIT i PAID CMP $1,050 and received a 1911A1. It is a Colt A1 based on serial number, made in1945 and has the ordnance final inspection mark of John S. Begley, J.S.B. I am of mixed feeling about it however. Its service grade and has been completely rebuild, has a great trigger pull, is solid with little slide play and the frame marking are still sharp and outstanding. The barrel is an HS and looks new and the other parts are fine.

The cons are it is refinished. it a great refinish and if my memory serves me right has the same refinish that the 45s we were passing out to the Arvins in 65 but I was a bit disappointed ii did not show some honest wear.

The other con is the slide. Its a post war replacement that was made under govt contract by San Col Mar Industries. Some collectors tell the slide is a rarity by itself as very few were made by this company but I would much rather got a Colt. Means I will have to find the Colt slide I have somewhere and possibility find someone who can match the parking on the frame.

Can you post some photos?

Jackam
02-05-2019, 09:55 AM
Folks,
I read this thread sometime late last night and inadvertently closed the thread. Sorry about that! Hopefully, it was so late that you guys were in bed already and nobody was affected.

It's back open for business. Cry about those 1911s all you want now.

Jack

GreaseMonkeySRT
02-05-2019, 10:40 AM

Now I have to decide whether to keep it or swap with a collector friend for another 1911 plus.

This is exactly why I didn't sign up for all of this BS from the CMP. Never buy something sight unseen.

mtlucas0311
02-08-2019, 05:38 PM

My number is in the mid 3 thousands, should be getting the call abound the end of April. Sounds like you got a great 1911. If you want to “correct it” I believe some guys have started a 1911 parts exchange thread on the CMP forum. If your replacement slide is desirable, you shouldn’t have any problem finding somebody to trade you for a Colt slide. Most of the guns were refinished at Anniston so you might even get a nice matching finish. I’m a High Standard fan, if I end up with an out of place Colt barrel, I may be willing to swap with you.

Congrats on a nice 1911,
Mike.

Rlxlvr
03-05-2019, 08:35 PM
I was going to apply to get one, I guess I’ll just have to find new parts for my Remington rand 1911 frame that I got complete with a colt ace conversion for $500 last year. Will still be cheaper than the cheapest grade they offered and requires much less hoops to go through

dwcopple
03-06-2019, 06:34 AM
I was going to apply to get one, I guess I’ll just have to find new parts for my Remington rand 1911 frame that I got complete with a colt ace conversion for $500 last year. Will still be cheaper than the cheapest grade they offered and requires much less hoops to go through

attaboy. e-sarco has a bunch of parts right now too

Rlxlvr
03-07-2019, 03:29 PM
I saw the sarco parts but they all appear to be aftermarket. Waiting for a decent slide to show up on eBay

SKYTROOPER
03-21-2019, 09:28 PM
Here are some pictures of the 1911A1 I received from CMP. Its a late 1945 Colt but it came with the post war San Col Mar Ind slide. The barrel was a HS in excellent condition. I happened to have a Colt and some Remington slides and the Colt matches the received pretty good.

mtlucas0311
04-05-2019, 05:24 PM
Picked up mine last weekend. Couldn’t be happier with it. Condition is beautiful and I’m pretty sure it’s original finish. Everything is Remington except the mainspring housing (Colt/Ithaca), barrel (Colt), and hammer (Ithaca).

https://imgur.com/a/FN05OGJ

dwcopple
04-05-2019, 06:03 PM
FYI the CMP is now prohibiting resale of "their" 1911s. Lol, the balls on those guys...
https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2019/04/03/cmp-to-prohibit-resale-of-1911s-purchased-from-program/

sparksbl
05-02-2019, 07:21 PM
I picked up my 1911a1 today. Service grade. Remington Rand frame 1944, Colt slide, High Standard Barrel. Tight action much better than the one I qualified with in 1980. I'm happy with it.

shuvelrider
05-03-2019, 03:57 PM
Was anyone honestly expecting an all original, non-rebuilt pistol after all the years these guns had been in storage. Anyone that deals with milsurps of any type, knows that is a rarity. Mostly all of these weapons will have gotten re-arsenaled at least once in their lifetime, maybe more depending on usage. Everyone once to buy a piece of history, maybe a piece of their own past for a memento. You step up to the counter and lay down your money, because you want too. No refund or do-overs if you have buyers regret. I shot .45's in the early 80's army, they shook and rattled then. Nothing that I would pay CMP prices for.

Coctailer
09-20-2019, 08:25 AM
Was anyone honestly expecting an all original, non-rebuilt pistol after all the years these guns had been in storage.

Nope

Coctailer
09-20-2019, 08:27 AM
Here is the Remington Rand I got from CMP last week.
https://i.imgur.com/tMlWBOV.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/XJarqTB.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/IhOrbR2.jpg
https://i.imgur.com/n6aF8dZ.jpg