PDA

View Full Version : Gunzilla

tenthumbs
03-01-2009, 08:07 PM
Doe's anyone have experience with Gunzilla good or bad?

Thank You

Made_in_Michigan
03-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Go Zeerah!!!!

http://animar.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/godzilla_school_house_2887pic.jpg

...sorry, couldn't resist....

Tallbear
03-01-2009, 08:12 PM
Great stuff...........MGO sent a couple cases of it to the troops in the middle east a couple years ago. Michigan product............

Red Sector A
03-01-2009, 08:25 PM
For those of us who dont know.... what is Gunzilla?

Tedfs
03-01-2009, 10:47 PM
http://www.topduckproducts.com/

Gunzilla is made here in Michigan.

It's environmental friendly , cleans better than most other cleaners out there and is priced right.

I found out about it a few years ago at the Mason gun show, talked with the owner and decided to try it. I've used it exclusively ever since. It cuts the carbon and copper fowling very well, doesn't smell bad and just plain works.

langenc
03-01-2009, 11:14 PM
I cleaned a rifle with it last week. The rifle has not been shot in at leats 4 years-have been shooting others. When I put the rifle up for storage I know I cleaned it--mix of Kroil and Shooters Choice.

I got loootts of black stuff out of that barrel with the Gunzilla. All I can assume it does better than my previous solvent.

RSF
03-02-2009, 06:54 AM
I have heard this stuff was nothing more than a form of simple green cleaner?
is this true or based i was just wondering
as i was looking to get this stuff into the gun shop

customizedcreationz
03-02-2009, 07:54 AM
I have a small bottle of it I bought years ago. Seemed to work good.

Tallbear
03-02-2009, 07:57 AM

Get a bottle and try it. If it's not everything they say it is, don't sell it. If I had a shop, I would be selling it. It needs more advertising to be a "big" seller.

Tedfs
03-02-2009, 12:35 PM

No, it's not a form of simple green.

If that were true, it would strip all the oils from the metal and leave the parts dry and unprotected.

Do as Tallbear suggested and buy a small bottle of it. Try it out and see what you think. I'd have no problems selling it in a shop I owned.

TFin04
03-02-2009, 12:42 PM
Id like to compare it to the QCG stuff we have now. It has been working great so far.

RSF
03-02-2009, 01:39 PM
then ill do that....... ill use it on our range guns and see how it runs

done so we shall see when it gets here.

firefox
03-02-2009, 04:51 PM
who carries this stuff in the metro Detroit area? green cleaner and made in michigan this stuff sounds like a dream come true.

Tallbear
03-02-2009, 05:19 PM
Pretty sure I saw it at Firing LIne. Give them a call.

who carries this stuff in the metro Detroit area? green cleaner and made in michigan this stuff sounds like a dream come true.

tenthumbs
03-03-2009, 09:51 AM
Thanks everyone,

I will give it a try. We had a guy ..[can't remember his name] give a presentation at LCSC about a year ago.

The people that bought it liked it. I just wanted a broader opinion.

03-03-2009, 10:50 AM
This my first post ... see if I got it in the right place. ! !

"Don Kettles" <dkettles@topduckproducts.com>

03-03-2009, 10:54 AM
Well I see I got post in right place, but not to clear maybe...?

Here is Don's contact info at Gunzilla.

"Don Kettles" <dkettles@topduckproducts.com>

Done Deal
03-03-2009, 01:42 PM
Welcome Don

durus5995
03-05-2009, 04:14 AM
If you are looking for this stuff around the Tri cities Sheridan Arms sells this. And if you are looking for it around the state it usually can be found at the traveling gun shows. Like the one that visits Birchrun every few months. This is awsome stuff. I use it on all my milsurps.

RSF
03-05-2009, 07:40 AM
Well my samples came, so far very impressive, wipes off all the crud pretty well. and very easy and no residue left on my hands going to give it another week of cleaning and use in our rental guns and we shall see

Tedfs
03-05-2009, 08:56 AM
You won't be disappointed.

It's one of Michigan's gun show secrets that needs to get more press.

03-05-2009, 09:05 AM
I am not Don , please read post 17 this thread.

I was given the Contact Name and Email for Don @ Gunzilla.

Didn't know how first post (16) would read , tried to make correction in post (17), hope its clear now. :salute:

TFin04
03-05-2009, 10:29 AM
I'm sold.

I just used it to remove lead/carbon fouling on my tac light that nothing else could take off. I've used Hoppe's 9, CLP, Break Free bore foam, mineral spirits, simple green, and Qwikk Gun Clean (which is really good stuff). I've let it soak overnight, used brushes, etc. Nothing would touch it.

I just sprayed some Gunzilla on it, let it sit for about 15 min, scrubbed with a heavy nylon bristle brush and it came right off.

I don't normally get wrapped around fancy cleaners or lubes, my two most used chemicals on firearms is Walmart brand brake cleaner and Walmart brand high temp bearing grease. CLP is the only solvent I typically use and that's only every 5k rounds or so down the bore. For stubborn deposits....Gunzilla is the heat.

sse
03-05-2009, 10:44 AM
Does anyone know if this is safe on wood gun stocks? If not, I'll go to their web site and contact them.

TFin04
03-05-2009, 11:51 AM
I just cleaned the cylinder face of a rental 642. Same process with each, spray solvent, let sit for a few min, scrub with heavy nylon brush:

CLP- Next to no effect
Qwikk Guns Clean- Took quite a bit off, still dirty.
Gunzilla- Took about 99% of fouling off. Much better performer than the other two.

I don't think there is any product that will completely clean the beadblast finish of these guns (at least I've never seen one), but Gunzilla certainly does the best job I've seen.

postban
03-05-2009, 01:17 PM

I don't think there is any product that will completely clean the beadblast finish of these guns (at least I've never seen one), but Gunzilla certainly does the best job I've seen.

Try it on an AK gas piston face. If it cleans it down to the chrome I'ma get me some.

TFin04
03-05-2009, 02:48 PM
Try it on an AK gas piston face. If it cleans it down to the chrome I'ma get me some.
I don't clean my AK's.......

But for you, I'll spray some on one tonight and let it sit overnight. Will post back later.

TeamAFX
03-05-2009, 06:21 PM
I would also like to know on the AK gas piston. Can you post some pics?

Thanks

Red Sector A
03-05-2009, 06:48 PM
Does anyone know if this is safe on wood gun stocks? If not, I'll go to their web site and contact them.

From their website:

"Gunzilla is also safe to clean wood and plastic stocks but is should be wiped dry after cleaning. "

Red Sector A
03-05-2009, 06:49 PM
Pretty sure I saw it at Firing LIne. Give them a call.

If Firing Line has it then I might pick up a small bottle when I pick up my AR mags on Saturday. Product sounds great!

RSF
03-05-2009, 06:59 PM
the more i use the more i like it.

TFin04
03-05-2009, 07:08 PM
I've got four AK pistons soaking right now. Before/during/after pics on the way. Gimme an hour or two.

TFin04
03-05-2009, 09:20 PM
"Before" picture taken without any cleaning done. These were taken straight from the rifle and placed on the sponge for the picture.

From left to right:
Chinese Mak90 (7.62x39)
Romanian WASR10 (7.62x39)
Romanian WASR2 (5.45x39)
Bulgarian 74 (5.45x39)

The far right piston (Bulgarian) has the most use by far. The piston as shown is roughly 12k rounds without cleaning. It gets sprayed down with CLP to control the corrosive deposits from the ammo, but no attempt at cleaning has ever been made. You can see a "shelf" of carbon has formed in the grooves.

Gunzilla was applied then left to sit for a half hour. At that time I brushed the parts with a Gunzilla soaked nylon brush, wiped clean, and reapplied another bath of the solvent.

After another half hour I scrubbed the parts with the scotchbrite pad shown, wiped off all residue, and took a picture. As you can see most of the fouling was removed, but I don't think there is any product out there that will completely remove all carbon, especially from the face of the piston. It doesn't show in the picture, but the carbon on the face was greatly reduced. I think it would take a media blast and/or an auto parts washer to really get these clean.

This is the first (and will be the last) time these pistons are ever cleaned while they are in my possession.

Conclusion: This stuff is easy to use, doesn't smell bad, doesn't leave hands oily, and just flat out works.

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/TFin04/Pistons2.jpg

http://i15.photobucket.com/albums/a392/TFin04/Pistons4.jpg

TeamAFX
03-05-2009, 10:27 PM
I'm sold! I have to try some now.

postban
03-06-2009, 05:33 AM
Thanks for doing the test and pics Tom, count me as another gunzilla customer.

Looking at your 5.45 piston has my gun cleaning OCD raging. :shocked:

Tedfs
03-06-2009, 07:45 AM
I've posted about how good this stuff was here before.

Save yourself the trouble and buy a big bottle now, you'll be glad you did.

Every single firearm I get my grubby hands on gets wiped down with Gunzilla, even if they are brand new.

sse
03-06-2009, 08:56 AM
From their website:

"Gunzilla is also safe to clean wood and plastic stocks but is should be wiped dry after cleaning. "
Thanks!

TFin04
03-06-2009, 09:20 AM
Thanks for doing the test and pics Tom, count me as another gunzilla customer.

Looking at your 5.45 piston has my gun cleaning OCD raging. :shocked:
You should see the rest of the rifle......

Red Sector A
03-07-2009, 05:23 PM
Found out The Firing Line doesnt carry Gunzilla. :( Guess I have to keep looking; might have to order online.

postban
03-07-2009, 05:39 PM
Found out The Firing Line doesnt carry Gunzilla. :( Guess I have to keep looking; might have to order online.

Neither does Wolverine Gun or Top Gun in taylor. Somebody local better start carrying it.

TFin04
03-07-2009, 05:44 PM
I think we're working on it fellas. I'll let ya know.

Tedfs
03-07-2009, 07:34 PM
Neither does Wolverine Gun or Top Gun in taylor. Somebody local better start carrying it.

Guys, Gunzilla is made in Michigan, I'm not sure how much more local you can get.

Order from TopDuck Products. It's in Lansing.

http://www.topduckproducts.com/products.aspx?Product=Gunzilla

Written correspondence and feedback
TopDuck Products, LLC
PO Box 80466
Lansing, MI 48908

Orders / Information Requests by Fax
(517) 321-8416

Telephone
(517) 321-8416 (voice)

Order from there until your favorite gun shop starts carrying it.

Pass the word and the website info on to your gun pushers. Hell give them a small bottle to try and let them decide for themselves.

Red Sector A
03-07-2009, 08:38 PM

Thanks you saved me a trip to check them out.

Red Sector A
03-07-2009, 08:41 PM
Guys, Gunzilla is made in Michigan, I'm not sure how much more local you can get.

Order from TopDuck Products. It's in Lansing.

Order from there until your favorite gun shop starts carrying it.

Pass the word and the website info on to your gun pushers. Hell give them a small bottle to try and let them decide for themselves.

Hmm.. s&h isnt bad. Looks like I will be ordering it until the gun shops carry it.

mcsage
03-08-2009, 08:40 PM
"Before" picture taken without any cleaning done. These were taken straight from the rifle and placed on the sponge for the picture.

Holey Crap! Those are the same pieces?????
Sure as hell LOOKS like it works!

karcent
03-08-2009, 09:30 PM
I'll have it in stock before the next Gibraltar Mt Clemens show.

KayL
03-08-2009, 10:11 PM
Classic Arms in Lansing and MPE in Dimondale have it in stock.

RSF
03-09-2009, 05:47 AM
good on you Kurt.........

postban
03-10-2009, 07:11 AM
Free Shipping for orders over $40 on their site^

got my stash coming :salute:

Howard000003
03-18-2009, 11:26 PM
Free Shipping for orders over $40 on their site^

got my stash coming :salute:

Free shipping on orders over 29....

johnson27
03-22-2009, 08:55 PM
I got a small spray bottle for free at a class I took about two years ago. I waited about a year to use it.....Its all I use now!!
I bought a 24oz bottle at the Mason Gun Show in November and got another small spray bottle for free.
________
RVF400 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Honda_RVF400)

pilot22
03-22-2009, 09:47 PM
I purchased after demo at the gun show and was impressed. I was more impressed after using it at home on my own guns. A little bit goes a long way, great job. Great Stuff. Go Gunzilla.:bow:

karcent
03-24-2009, 06:42 AM
Just a quick word of caution:

Do not use Gunzilla on firearms manufactured prior to WWII.
Many of those guns have true rust bluing and Gunzilla will remove it according to their info sheet.
It won't effect modern guns.

I've been using it my personal guns and it really looks like a great product.

Howard000003
03-24-2009, 08:22 AM
Just a quick word of caution:

Do not use Gunzilla on firearms manufactured prior to WWII.
Many of those guns have true rust bluing and Gunzilla will remove it according to their info sheet.
It won't effect modern guns.

I've been using it my personal guns and it really looks like a great product.

Hmm, good to know, thanks for the heads up!

yocan
04-08-2009, 10:41 AM
I"m a USMC reservist out of lansing, Decembers drill the inventor showed up and handed it out, its all our unit buys now. The 11s still are using their CLP, but all the crew serves have switched over, andn many of the 11s have bought it for personal use, the armorer to the First Sargeant said "I tell you what, I sure wish we had 12 gallons of this in the armory instead of CLP" We love it. Saves us a lot of time, and were not as worried about cleaning our hands before we eat in the field.

Arbor_Shooter
04-10-2009, 09:55 PM
I've tried it, I think it works well, I just can't find it on the shelves at any local stores.

fbuckner
04-11-2009, 08:57 PM
This is the first (and will be the last) time these pistons are ever cleaned while they are in my possession.

OMG you have taken in everything Fisher has taught you very well including his lack of firearms care. The last time I ever seen him clean a gun was on accident. He dropped it in a mudpuddle and wiped it off on his sweatshirt.

karcent
04-12-2009, 11:04 AM
From what I've seen most gun owners haven't got a clue how to "properly" care for their firearms and do more damage to them by constantly cleaning using improper methods.
This also goes for the military. The wrong tools have wrecked more bores than anything else.

btw: I've been using Gunzilla for a while now and it does everything the manufacturer claims.
It is excellent for removing surface rust, it's a great cleaner and lube.
Just don't use it on a pre-WWII firearm or a side by that was slow rust blued.

TFin04
04-12-2009, 11:56 AM

OMG you have taken in everything Fisher has taught you very well including his lack of firearms care. The last time I ever seen him clean a gun was on accident. He dropped it in a mudpuddle and wiped it off on his sweatshirt.

I was running AK's long before meeting Steve.

jeff77
05-12-2009, 09:33 PM
Gun show at Gibraltar this weekend. Anyone know if any of the vendors are carrying this? I'll order it if i have to but i'm an immediate satisfaction kind of guy :D
Thanks,
Jeff

pike_mazter
05-13-2009, 12:41 PM
Gun show at Gibraltar this weekend. Anyone know if any of the vendors are carrying this? I'll order it if i have to but i'm an immediate satisfaction kind of guy :D
Thanks,
Jeff

Same question, I might head up for the show and wouldn't mind picking up a bottle or 2................;-)

karcent
05-13-2009, 01:20 PM
I stock it but I will not be at Gibraltar Taylor this weekend.
I will be at Gibraltar Mt Clemens on May 22-23-24

jeff77
05-13-2009, 10:04 PM
Forgive my ignorance as I'm fairly new here, if i were to make the drive from Brownstown to Mount Clemens which booth would i find you at?
Thanks,
Jeff

karcent
05-14-2009, 06:34 AM
Centennial Co.

I'm in the northwest corner of the building.

JohnJak
05-14-2009, 02:15 PM
Centennial Co.

I'm in the northwest corner of the building.
Do they hand out compasses or GP'S at the front door so we can find you?
What are your map coordinates?
Hello Karcent.

discerningshootist
05-14-2009, 03:59 PM
I Stock it in my store: "The Discerning Shootist", and it works great.
The first time I used it, it was to clean my Delta Elite. There was copper fouling on the ramp that been there since I bought the gun, Gunzilla took it right off with a swipe of a rag.
Can't say enough good about.
The only thing that could make it better is the fact it's made in Michigan.

RifleGuy
05-14-2009, 04:57 PM
I Stock it in my store: "The Discerning Shootist",
And your store would be located in.....?

jeff77
05-14-2009, 07:56 PM
I was curious to so i had to look it up....

http://www.yellowbook.com/profile/the-discerning-shootist_1821430286.html

Jeff

usabug
05-19-2009, 09:56 PM
Fantastic product. I talked to the owner Bob and this product has me sold. It takes of gunk that most other cleaners will not. In addition to being a cleaner, it also is a lubricant.

I dont use anything else to clean or lube my guns. It is non toxic and has little to no odor.

Get yourself some, you wont be disappointed.

discerningshootist
05-20-2009, 12:13 PM
And your store would be located in.....?

Sorry... scenic Traverse City,MI.

Lester
05-21-2009, 08:08 PM
I want to support my brothers in Michigan I've never heard of this until now. I will buy and try just tell me where it can be purchased. I'm in Holland
Thanks Les

TFin04
05-21-2009, 09:42 PM
I would first recommend buying from Karcent but Holland is across the state.

Go to the gunzilla website and find a dealer there or ask to purchase directly from them. www.topduckproducts.com

They make good stuff, you will be pleased.

glock_cop_22
05-21-2009, 10:49 PM
I love the stuff nac get a small bottle for $7, and a large for $11. I am in the grand rapids area if you ever get over here let me know I will pic u up some. I didn't like it a first, but It works great on my AR and I have used it on my glock 3-4 times wasn't that imprest at first but after our last PD qualif I went to clean in and the bore was clean. ran 2 rags through it just to remove the lead but all was clean no powder residue left behind after 55 rounds..its a must have

Trauma
05-25-2009, 07:29 PM
bought some at a show up here in birch run, $6 for a small bottle of it. works good, good lubricant and great cleaner. doesnt bother your hands either. i think it is about a 4 oz. bottle. i would buy more but at that price i cant afford too.

-Trauma :flag:

dfrak
05-26-2009, 04:48 AM
i would buy more but at that price i cant afford too.

I really like the stuff, but the price is my concern with it as well. I picked up a larger size at Camp Perry last year when all the vendors are there (July?) and the price was much better. I've wanted to pick up more, but I am holding off.

Dan

OIFvet2ID
05-30-2009, 09:02 PM
I just picked some up down here at the Indy 1500 when I found out it is a Michigan product. Havent tried it yet but based on the testimonials I have read in this thread I am glad I picked up a bottle of it. I got an 8oz pump bottle for $15 after talking with the vendor, he offered a military discount. If you are in the Indy area tomorrow, stop by the 1500 and get some! The vendor is in the back right corner as you enter the building.

Targ8
01-15-2010, 08:33 PM
Gunzilla is an awesome product, invented by a Michigan resident!

That material is environment friendly and cleans like you wouldn't believe!

It smells good as well!

Strongly recommended...

Targ8

Ruger
01-15-2010, 09:38 PM
Excellent product! love the way it cleans a lubes in one wipe.

Roundballer
01-15-2010, 09:41 PM
Only 8 months old, not too bad.

Gunzilla is good chit thou.

RSF
01-15-2010, 10:36 PM
cleans well i had issues running it on ars when they really heated up needed more and better lube back to slip ewl for that other wise good stuff

DLL9MM
01-16-2010, 06:44 AM
I have been using it for the last few months. Works great. Its suppose to take care of corrosive ammo also...At least thats what the bottle says.

01-19-2010, 03:18 PM
cleans well i had issues running it on ars when they really heated up needed more and better lube back to slip ewl for that other wise good stuff

What was the issue, as I use it on 2 AR's....
"slip ewl" means What? Thanks.

oldskoolford427
01-19-2010, 09:31 PM
I have a bottle and it works great!

james_joshua
01-20-2010, 12:37 AM
Since it's been 8 months, any changes in the availability?

karcent
01-20-2010, 07:58 AM

Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Lube

oldskoolford427
01-20-2010, 09:50 AM
I have used it for a few years now it works great!!

SteveRonan118
01-20-2010, 06:35 PM
The owner/creator is a real top notch guy. I ran into him at his booth at the Grand Rapids gun show and he gave my dad and I both free sample bottles because we were military.
It is clear, not colored like CLP. And the best part is there is NO odor. When my dropper bottle runs out, I will be buying a large one to refill it.
It attracts less dirt than other CLP and oils - which is probably my favorite characteristic.

Hope that helps, and I would recommend trying it.

01-20-2010, 07:48 PM
Slip 2000 Extreme Weapons Lube
Thanks Kurt

RSF
01-22-2010, 12:28 PM

the issue is when running the gun in high voulume classes matches and training reps they lube has cooked off enough that i need more

I have never had that issue with slip.

when shooting 600+ rounds a day at volumes we often do it hasnt worked that well for me.

as a cleaner and general purpose lube etc.. used on my handguns bolt guns yes ok good

ON corrosive ammo yeap good.

when i want great im back to slip 2000 and there 725 cleaner
I do like the gunzilla though my thoughts and needs slip works better