PDA

View Full Version : refinishing stock

countryboy3248
03-06-2009, 12:59 PM
okay, I have the stripper. Have put about 10 coats on this stock, even rubbed the stock with #1 steel wool. The stripper took the clearcoat or wax off right away, but it isnt doing much as far as taking off the old stain. Any ideas on what to try next?

langenc
03-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Abrasive=sandpaper.

countryboy3248
03-07-2009, 09:27 AM
:lolup: sandpaper= a *****ed up stock....:hide:

kkolodsick
03-07-2009, 09:44 AM
:lolup: sandpaper= a *****ed up stock....:hide:

Not necessaryily. If he goes at it with a belt sander and 60 grit you are right.

Try 100 grit and make sure you are consistent throughout. Never go across the grain.

langenc
03-07-2009, 10:25 AM
I have done 4 w/ sandpaper and get many compliaments. To each his own. Maybe it is the sandpaperer.

I even use steel wool between coats of Tru-oil and dont have any steel showing in the final product.

countryboy3248
03-07-2009, 10:26 AM
im going to start with 100 grit, and be really really careful...lol...then move up from there. I hope you guys are right.....or else...lmao:chainsaw:

Disclaimer: The above was only a JOKE. Dont get your panties in a bunch.

bear300us
03-09-2009, 01:47 PM
I my opinion stain goes right in the wood so your not going to be able to remove it without removing some wood,good luck have fun.I enjoy these kind of projects.are you going to restain or leave it natural?what kind of finish?I like true/oil.I did a couple thompson center kits.they turned out great.

HK USP
03-09-2009, 05:30 PM
I've refinished my fair share of stocks, just start out light, take it slow and easy, finish off with some 0000 steel wool, and as it was said above always go with the grain and not against.

no.4shot
03-11-2009, 05:38 PM
I have done 4 w/ sandpaper and get many compliaments. To each his own. Maybe it is the sandpaperer.

I even use steel wool between coats of Tru-oil and dont have any steel showing in the final product.

Just don't use steel wool until you put stain on. Otherwise you may end up with a freckled stock. Anther tip is after you have the old stain removed and you are using fine sandpaper wet the wood with a rag. Let it dry then sand it again. This is called raising the grain. You only need to do it a couple of times but it helps to give you a super smooth stock.

fritz!
03-13-2009, 08:40 PM
Wood stains permeate the wood grain, meaning that it soaks into the wood.
You will have to sand the stock some to get the stain out of the wood grain.
It is a delicate and tedious process to not change the lines of the stock, but is worth it if that's what you want.
Good luck and let us know how it turned out.

Mongo
03-14-2009, 03:20 PM
Steel wool works fine, but I've had good luck also with synthetic "wool" pads. They are consistent, stay together, don't give you those darn metal splinters, and they also won't cause the dreaded "freckle" finish.

Depending on the wood and the stain used, getting it removed could be a difficult process. No matter how much work you put into taking it off, the most important thing (especially if going lighter than original color) will be getting the stock to an EVEN color before refinishing.

countryboy3248
03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
ive finished the 91/30's. One turned out so/so, the other turned out AMAZING. I found that one was used with a scope, as there is a piece of wood that was fitted to replace the notch that was taken out for the scope. Everything else is stripped, im just starting to do a little sanding on them before applying the stain.

Im using boiled lin seed oil. the 91/30's took about 6 or 7 coats. They didnt seem very shiny, so I let them dry for like 3 days, rubbed them down a final time with 0000 steel wool, then wiped them down with some remington gun oil, allowing that to soak into the wood. Like I said, one is so/so because I couldnt get about 1/2 of the old stain out. It is unique looking, but I like it. You can see the grain of the wood. The other, like i said above is amazing. Very light colored, can see the Grain very well, and all the markings in the gun. This 91/30 is actually a gift for my best friend. He went back to adult ed to get his diploma, because he dropped out years ago. I told him when he graduated, it was his gift from me. He has since seen the gun, and his jaw hit the floor. He was amazed. When i get them all done, anyone who wants to see b4 and after pics, ill email them.

ZYA_LTR
03-20-2009, 10:31 AM
Bleach the stock.

They sell wood bleach at Lowes/Home Depot that will bleach the wood to lighten it up for you, then restain it to the desired color. Did it on an M1A stock i had, turned out real nice.

countryboy3248
03-20-2009, 01:53 PM
Have to remember that in the future. Not wanting to strip it all down again right away....im in the middle of like 5 or 6 guns being refinished....its kickin my butt...lol

Bleach the stock.

They sell wood bleach at Lowes/Home Depot that will bleach the wood to lighten it up for you, then restain it to the desired color. Did it on an M1A stock i had, turned out real nice.

countryboy3248
04-04-2009, 09:22 PM
I have finished all except one of these, and have pictures, but i cant post them. Does any member have an email i can send them to, and the member can post them? i would appreciate it.

Kory

countryboy3248
04-10-2009, 01:46 PM
still looking for a member to post pics of the finished guns, send me a pm if your willing to do this for me.