PDA

View Full Version : for an O/U which BBL should you fire 1st?

willforu1
03-10-2009, 08:45 PM
I just bought a 12 gauge Citori 525 field grade. There is a selector switch to select which bbl should fire off first and which bbl should fire off second. What is the strategy here? Is there any advantage to firing off say the bottom barrel off first and the top barrel second or vice versa? Any thougts?

Thanks in advance

TFin04
03-10-2009, 09:12 PM
I just bought a 12 gauge Citori 525 field grade. There is a selector switch to select which bbl should fire off first and which bbl should fire off second. What is the strategy here? Is there any advantage to firing off say the bottom barrel off first and the top barrel second or vice versa? Any thougts?

Thanks in advance

I am not extremely versed in shotgun sports but I used to carry about a 95/100 average on the skeet field.

Your Citori should have the same point of impact for both barrels, especially at the closer distances. The only thing that firing a different barrel will do is allow you to choose which choke to use. My shotgun was always choked the same on the skeet field and choked IC (first) and mod when shooting sporting clays or hunting.

Both barrels will break birds (real ones and clay ones). What type of game or hunting do you plan on doing with it?

willforu1
03-11-2009, 06:12 AM
What type of game or hunting do you plan on doing with it?

Thanks for the reply. Upland game and I will also shoot sporting clays.

Done Deal
03-11-2009, 07:11 AM
Thanks for the reply. Upland game and I will also shoot sporting clays.

I shoot my top barrel first. That way, when I want to reload just one shell, it is easier.

And, for hunting puposes other than turkey tubes, my top barrel not choked as tightly as my bottom barrel.

DHughes
03-11-2009, 08:09 AM
The general consensus among trap, skeet and sporting shooters is bottom barrel first.
First, the logic is that the lower barrel is in a direct line with the shoulder and that the straight line action of firing the gun will generate less felt recoil. Secondly, because of the straight line effect causing less felt recoil, there will be less muzzle rise on the first shot allowing for a faster recovery for a well placed second shot on a double.
So just about all competitive shooters fire the lower barrel first.
I shoot lower barrel when shooting skeet or trap and will use my selector switch when shooting sporting clays to choose which choke I want for each target.
Also most shooters have the most open choke in the lower and the tighter of the two in the top.

porscheguy
09-20-2009, 12:17 AM
If you had an older gun it would depend on your choked. I think most are set-up with full on top and mod on the bottom

mishooter
09-20-2009, 07:46 AM
The general consensus among trap, skeet and sporting shooters is bottom barrel first.
First, the logic is that the lower barrel is in a direct line with the shoulder and that the straight line action of firing the gun will generate less felt recoil. Secondly, because of the straight line effect causing less felt recoil, there will be less muzzle rise on the first shot allowing for a faster recovery for a well placed second shot on a double.
I shoot lower barrel when shooting skeet or trap and will use my selector switch when shooting sporting clays to choose which choke I want for each target.
Also most shooters have the most open choke in the lower and the tighter of the two in the top.
:yeahthat:

Jerbear1098
09-22-2009, 08:33 PM

Don's the man.... :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup:

Done Deal
09-23-2009, 06:29 AM

Batman
09-23-2009, 08:42 AM
Plus the weight of the upper barrel on the lower barrel helps keep rise down on the lower barrel's first shot. Always shoot the lower barrel first.

radiogoon
11-24-2009, 12:07 AM

So would there be any recoil reduction advantage to "Mag-Na-Porting" my top barrel? Or even both?

Shyster
11-24-2009, 12:28 AM
I have a Citori Sporting Clays with the "MagnaPorting" from the factory on both barrels. Seems to work well BUT I have no experience with non-ported O/Us

Holy dead thread revival Batman! Second time this one had been brought back!

cumminsdiesel
12-04-2009, 09:43 PM
I have a Citori Lightning Sporting Clays that is factory ported and back bored. She is a dream to shoot. A lot less felt recoil than my standard non ported Citori.