PDA

View Full Version : Bolt material

Caribou
03-11-2009, 06:35 AM
Why are rifle bolts un-blued/un-parkerized? Are they a different steel than the receivers, or are they just prone to scratches so they leave off the corrosion protection? Why don't I seen bunches of rusty bolts?

jmoser
10-31-2009, 06:25 PM
Since the bolt is constantly rotating and sliding back and forth it would rapidly wear any surface finish off. many bolts are stainless, better yet they should be jeweled to help hold an oil film.

Batman
10-31-2009, 11:23 PM
I assume your refering to bolt gun bolts. ARs, AKs, FALs and others are mostly parked.

BoBBerRider2009
11-01-2009, 01:29 AM
..they dont rust because if you are always shooting them the oil is always lubricating the outside of it thus keeping the moister out..but like he said you should jewel the bolt they look so much better like that anyways.

greyofk
11-04-2009, 09:16 PM
I have treated a lot of rusted bolts. Including rusted bolt from russian SKS. A quality rifle has a bolt from alloy steel with generous amount of chrom. Such alloy is stainless. Which is the case for H und K, CZ and FN. All the rest require lubrication. Residue of burned gunpowder stimulates corrosin. It was the case with most SKS I treated.
It is a good idea to clean a bolt with tooth brush and powder solvent, than wash it with disel fuel, wipe clean and lubricate. Than you do not need blueing or parketised surface.
Regards