PDA

View Full Version : Repair Stock Checkering?

Eric B
03-11-2009, 10:51 AM
I have been toying with the idea of making the stock on my $160 Wingmaster look good again. However, the checkering is not in the greatest condition. Do any of you have experience repairing checkering? Any advice?

I've seen the tools for checkering at Brownells, but I would not even know where to begin.

Thanks,

Eric

no.4shot
03-11-2009, 05:42 PM
no help with checkering. But the next time your in town I can show you how to refinish the wood. It is easier than you think just takes patience.

Eric B
03-12-2009, 12:44 AM
Sounds like a plan. I am always up for learning new tricks.

My dad has done up a few C&R rifles with polyurethane finishes. They turn out nice, but I have been reading a lot about gun specific finishes though. I'm curious....

postban
03-12-2009, 01:12 PM
I have been toying with the idea of making the stock on my $160 Wingmaster look good again. However, the checkering is not in the greatest condition. Do any of you have experience repairing checkering? Any advice?

Look at it real close, is is cut checkering (diamond shaped points sticking out) or impressed checkering (diamond shaped dents pressed in). The cut checkering can sometimes be freshened if the diamond have not been smashed too hard. The impressed checkering requires a few extra steps.

http://www.shootingtimes.com/gunsmithing/0106/

Eric B
03-13-2009, 12:02 AM
Thanks for the link Postban. It is sitting in the safe 2 hours away right now, but I am pretty sure it has impressed checkering.