PDA

View Full Version : EAR PROTECTION

DEVIL DOG
02-11-2019, 12:08 AM
Looking for the best ear protection (MUFFS ) I can get for around $25. I just want to leave them at the cabin for when someone is there & has nothing to wear. I have plugs in my range bag that work ok in a pinch.

dwcopple
02-11-2019, 06:32 AM
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/i/m/image_20448.jpg?01AD=3U5SJElSDdFLzPX4cv9sIlB6RoTof CJfxQeJEa5ryXFHK-xi5zq1_wA&01RI=3631F2DC39E32F5&01NA=

Harbor Freight. $3.99

DEVIL DOG
02-11-2019, 09:53 AM
I actually have a psir of those in my wood shop. Not good. Something a little better please. There are dozens of them on ebay for around $25. Just wondered if anyone had a suggestioncfg

kryl
02-11-2019, 12:15 PM
I actually have a psir of those in my wood shop. Not good. Something a little better please. There are dozens of them on ebay for around $25. Just wondered if anyone had a suggestioncfg

Are they uncomfortable or do they fail to reduce volume at their claimed decibel level?

dwcopple
02-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Are they uncomfortable or do they fail to reduce volume at their claimed decibel level?

They work very well for me

kryl
02-11-2019, 02:00 PM
How much decibel reduction are they rated for?

dwcopple
02-11-2019, 03:20 PM
How much decibel reduction are they rated for?

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Harbor+Freight+hearing+protection

kryl
02-12-2019, 11:46 AM
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Harbor+Freight+hearing+protection

Rated at 25 db reduction. The reviews seem to say uncomfortable, flimsy, and too small for a few people. My Champions from Walmart are only $9.99. They are not super comfortable but are within tolerance for me and are rated at 30db. They don't seem flimsy to me.

pgm74
02-12-2019, 01:04 PM
I'd look at Peltor 30dB NRR options. I had the Ultimate 10 blue cups and they blocked a lot of sound. I think they're discontinued though so look at Optime 105 and Sport Ultimate as they look similar. All around $25.

DEVIL DOG
02-12-2019, 04:38 PM
Ordered the Optime 105 for $23 from ebay. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm sure these will be good to go.

SMLE
02-12-2019, 07:14 PM
Ordered the Optime 105 for $23 from ebay. Thanks for the ideas guys. I'm sure these will be good to go.

I'd be interested in your review of these after you've used them. I need something better than the Howard Leight Impact Sport I've been wearing. They don't muffle sound very well. Come to find out, their noise reduction rating is only 22.

Edited to add: I was reading up on these at the 3M website. I noticed this in the details:

*The Noise Reduction Rating (NRR) may overestimate the hearing protection provided during typical use. 3M recommends reducing the NRR by 50% for estimating the amount of noise reduction provided.

Evansky2
02-16-2019, 09:45 AM
I'd be interested in your review of these after you've used them. I need something better than the Howard Leight Impact Sport I've been wearing. They don't muffle sound very well. Come to find out, their noise reduction rating is only 22.

Edited to add: I was reading up on these at the 3M website. I noticed this in the details:

Intead of buying a new set of muff, I would get a pair of the noise fighter gel cups. They not only reduce noise but also make the muffs way more comfortable. After I got them I was able to wear them for 8 hours straight at a major match and never even noticed them

DEVIL DOG
02-23-2019, 02:46 PM
Got the muffs yesterday. They seem to work pretty good. Hope to get to the range with them next week. They don't fold up as flat as my other pair. So for that reason, they will still be my EXTRA pair.

Packin9
02-25-2019, 09:52 AM
On a similar note, I'm looking for a new pair for the range. What is everyone using?

dwcopple
02-25-2019, 10:39 AM
Got the muffs yesterday. They seem to work pretty good. Hope to get to the range with them next week. They don't fold up as flat as my other pair. So for that reason, they will still be my EXTRA pair.
I thought these were for cabin guests per your first post

DEVIL DOG
02-25-2019, 10:49 PM
Haven't decided what will be going to the cabin. I want to try these out tomorrow & then I will decide. The pair I use here, ( Not even sure what brand they are), are ok, but I want to try the 3M's. May end up buying another pair to use in my shop. I have a pair of those $4 Harbor Freight one's out there now.

dirtmcgirt76239
02-28-2019, 08:03 PM
I had big ones i lost they were airport ones the guys used on runways, had them since the 90s, kinda uncomfortable. Last 3-4 years I used peltor, shotgunner and the ones a bit thicker than shotgunner.

They say the best for high frequency put in foam or rubber in, the the cup muffs on top.

I have the tiny in ear rubber ones with the red plug you can pull out to hear better, blanking on the name. They are ok but fall out. surefire. I guess you could use the surefire under the cup muffs.

ATA Works
02-28-2019, 10:41 PM
Get a pair of ClearArmor 141001 for $15 on Amazon. I have several pair and have used them for a couple years and am very happy with them.

Cocowheats
03-01-2019, 08:52 AM
Don't necessarily believe the db ratings on ear protection....

The rating is an average across a broad spectrum of frequencies. So just because the NRR rating averaged 25db reduction in sound for a set of muffs, that does not mean they neccasarily reduce 25db at gun shot frequencies; it could be much less then the NRR db rating. Again, the NRR rating is skewed due to the broad frequency spectrum they use for the rating.

One of the prime examples people use is MSA Sordin electronic muffs. Their NRR rating is like 18db or so but at gun shot frequencies, they could reduce up to ~30db. That's a bit of a difference!

Some manufacturers actually release the information of how many decibels at what frequencies they perform at.

You can see here that the MSA Sordins have an NRR rating of 18db, yet they perform better than 18db at common gun shot frequencies.
https://trevoronthetrigger.files.wordpress.com/2014/05/screenshot-2014-05-01-22-19-49.png

Short story is, the NRR rating is damn near useless to us shooters. What we need is info like in the table above.

OP, perhaps consider just leaving some plugs behind as well and doubling up. Even if the person doesn't get the plugs in properly, they will likely still help. Even with owning high end muffs, like my MSA Sordins and Peltor Comtac IIIs, I still double up with Surefire plugs 90% of the time. Save them ears!

DEVIL DOG
03-03-2019, 12:46 AM
I have to declare, the 3M's are at least better than the cheap Harbor Freight ones & the pair I've been using. I think I'll get another pair & take them to the cabin. The other set will stay in the shop.

dwcopple
03-03-2019, 10:06 AM
Get a pair of ClearArmor 141001 for $15 on Amazon. I have several pair and have used them for a couple years and am very happy with them.

if those aren't identical to the Harbor Freight red fold ups I'd be shocked. They look identical except they are black instead of red
https://www.harborfreight.com/media/catalog/product/i/m/image_20448.jpg

http://www.earmuffsdeal.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/07/ClearArmor-141001-Shooters-Hearing-Protection-Safety-Ear-Muffs-ClearArmor-141001-Shooters-Hearining-Protection-.jpg

DEVIL DOG
04-09-2019, 12:33 AM
Ended up ordering another pair from ebay. Called SILENT SOUND. ($10.50 !) Say they're good for -37DB. They fit real good, fold up flat like I want & seem to reduce the sound better than all of the others I have. Guess this pair will go in my range bag. One Up North & one in the shop.

kryl
04-10-2019, 08:20 AM
Ended up ordering another pair from ebay. Called SILENT SOUND. ($10.50 !) Say they're good for -37DB. They fit real good, fold up flat like I want & seem to reduce the sound better than all of the others I have. Guess this pair will go in my range bag. One Up North & one in the shop.

I saw one pair on eBay and was going to order them but the seller's feedback is so bad that I don't think that I will order them. They are $21.50 on Amazon.

Fishman95
04-10-2019, 08:54 AM
Looking for the best ear protection[...]
This is what you want:
https://i.ytimg.com/vi/1rTJZf64zF4/maxresdefault.jpg

[...that] I can get for around $25

Oh... Well then maybe this:
https://images-na.ssl-images-amazon.com/images/I/81E8dZYBAoL._SL1500_.jpg

All jokes aside, I would invest a little more than $25 and get some electronic walker razors. You can get them for under $50.

DEVIL DOG
04-11-2019, 11:24 AM
I had a set of the electronic ones. Actually paid way more than $50. Absolutely HATED them. The last set from ebay came in 3 days. Looks like OOS.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/SilentSound-37-dB-NRR-Sound-Technology-Safety-Ear-Muffs-with-LRPu-Foam-for-Sho/233082576034?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649

Jumping through all of the hoops to get a can is great if you shoot alone on your own private range. Worthless if you shoot at an indoor range with 15 other guns WITHOUT a can going off around you.