PDA

View Full Version : MI State Police Firearm Destruction

flocass1
02-13-2019, 04:05 PM
Greetings,

I am sure that all of you know that the Michigan State Police maintain a list of firearms that are set to be destroyed. That list is available for public viewing on their website. Some of you may have your weapon in their custody. The next destruction date is in March. Hopefully, you find your weapon(s) there, and are able to recover them.

balrog006
02-14-2019, 11:59 AM
How about a link to said list for anyone without the time or those who can’t seem to find it in their own?

Samurai Jack
02-14-2019, 12:46 PM
How about a link to said list for anyone without the time or those who can’t seem to find it in their own?

https://www.michigan.gov/msp/0,4643,7-123-1878_1591_3503_4654-45376--,00.html

Strangler
02-14-2019, 02:50 PM
Theres some serious iron on that list. Its a shame that they wouldn't hold a sale or auction- All guns matter.....

dice
02-14-2019, 03:34 PM
Theres some serious iron on that list. Its a shame that they wouldn't hold a sale or auction- All guns matter.....

Seems like an auction would be a good money maker for the MSP. Sad to see them junked.

Dice

firespec35
02-14-2019, 04:17 PM
Theres 2 .357 Colts on the list. That almost brings a tear to my eye.

Coctailer
02-14-2019, 04:50 PM
Your tax $$$ at work.

red442joe
02-14-2019, 06:44 PM
Need to sue that cork soaker Gasper for wasting tax payer money.
Ass hole.

Joe

balrog006
02-14-2019, 07:28 PM
Pity folks can’t just buy off that list instead of only being able to recover lost/stolen property-what a waste :jailed:

Bearcat989
02-24-2019, 04:00 PM
Interesting list......Why confiscate people's property and not sell it off to raise funds for the state???

stroo
02-24-2019, 05:57 PM
Government at work, spending our money to destroy more money! There are some historical and high dollar firearms on these lists, quite a shame.

balrog006
02-25-2019, 08:08 AM
Interesting list......Why confiscate people's property and not sell it off to raise funds for the state???

Apparently MSP doesn’t need the $, they must be flust with funds from other undisclosed sources :hot:

luckless
02-25-2019, 09:06 AM
I can only imagine what kind of proof they would require to return a gun.

Brunosplace
02-26-2019, 05:42 PM
I can only imagine what kind of proof they would require to return a gun.

A copy of the original police report that contained the serial number of said firearm. If the serial number was unknown at the time of lose/theft, very unlikely to get it back, unless it has some other very specific identifying markings that you could describe.

AxlMyk
02-26-2019, 07:38 PM
I've watched while many thousands of guns were dumped into the basic oxygen furnace at the Ford Rouge plant. Cops all over the place.

Jamuz
04-13-2019, 04:52 PM
They can not look up the owners through the registration, prior to destroying?????

truckerdave397
04-13-2019, 07:12 PM
New list has a 10 mm S&W

Iambusy3
04-13-2019, 11:11 PM
They can not look up the owners through the registration, prior to destroying?????

An ffl once told me that the great thing about the pistol registry is that eventually a stolen gun will be returned to its owner, even after 20 or 30 years. I wonder about that. Not sure how the process works, maybe they send out a notice to the last known address of the owner and when it come back undeliverable there is no follow up. On the other hand I have a friend who told me that his Dan Wesson .357 was stolen years ago. There can't be that many stolen Dan Wessons floating around out there. I'd be surprised if more than 3 or 4 have been reported stolen in this state in the last 20 years. I'm going to call him tomorrow.

Warhorse
04-14-2019, 07:37 AM
A damn shame this is. :cuss:

partdeux
04-14-2019, 06:05 PM
An ffl once told me that the great thing about the pistol registry is that eventually a stolen gun will be returned to its owner,

WTF does "transaction database" have to do with stolen firearms?

If it's stolen, you provide the serial number to the police.

Patrick
04-21-2019, 10:25 PM
There’s a sten on the current list. Hmmm.

smashlock
05-02-2019, 02:14 PM
How would it look if MSP auctioned off a firearm that was then used to commit a murder? The gun came from the police! It’s their fault, the police are profiting off murder! Just a thought, maybe there’s a reason they don’t auction off seized firearms.

mtdew
05-02-2019, 09:36 PM
How would it look if MSP auctioned off a firearm that was then used to commit a murder? The gun came from the police! It’s their fault, the police are profiting off murder! Just a thought, maybe there’s a reason they don’t auction off seized firearms.

Why is it that people assign guilt to parties/individuals so far removed from the actual individual who causes harm?

So...if I buy a Chevy Mailbu from Bob down the street and he got it from the Chevy dealer who marked it certified-preowned and the Chevy dealer got it from Hertz who got it from a Chevy fleet dealer and my buddy drives my car and my buddy is texting while driving causing a fatal accident, who's at fault? Obviously it's Hertz's fault!

DrScaryGuy
05-03-2019, 04:31 AM

except that they do.
They usually try to sell in bulk to a dealer. or let an auction house (with ffl associate) do the work for them though.
https://bid.sslfirearms.com/auctions/681/info is a michigan one. and Firing Line in westland buys a few 55 gallon barrels full of rifles at a time from the police to sell them again individually.

Tom S.
05-03-2019, 04:39 AM

Why should it be any different than the government selling off surplus service rifles and hand guns?

ScottyGA
08-19-2019, 07:58 PM
Where I live they hold an auction about every 6 months and auction off the entire lot. Anyone can go, you just have to have a ffl to place a bid on the firearms.

Bigprintz
09-29-2019, 07:49 PM
Where I live they hold an auction about every 6 months and auction off the entire lot. Anyone can go, you just have to have a ffl to place a bid on the firearms.

when do you find out about them, where are they held?

langenc
01-12-2020, 07:16 PM
Seems like an auction would be a good money maker for the MSP. Sad to see them junked.

Dice

Maybe if they made some thousands they could cut the price on services they rip off to CPLers.. MOC is still trying to find where all the $$ goes. Still getting stiffed, I believe.

Two posts up says "auction off the entire lot"--is that one lot or individual guns or smaller lots??
One lot would cut out most FFLs and whoever won would probably get a whizz bang deal.

PhotoTom
01-12-2020, 09:54 PM
MOC is still trying to find where all the $$ goes. Still getting stiffed, I believe.

Correct. The appellate court sided with MSP and MOC is now taking it to the Supreme Court.

Der Verge
01-13-2020, 08:04 AM
It's adorable you think the State is in any way interested in doing the "right" or intelligent thing.
"Government: If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions"

50 BMG
01-15-2020, 06:06 PM
"Government: If you think the problems we create are bad, just wait until you see our solutions"

That's a good one, almost as scary as: "We're from the government, and we are here to help you".

Viking
01-28-2020, 09:10 PM

I would question whether or not these are merely confiscated, recovered stolen, or if it is otherwise used in a crime... I know some people are just seeing dollars going up in flames and molten slag, but I can respect a decision to turn firearms connected to crime into slag..

50 BMG
01-29-2020, 10:42 AM
I would question whether or not these are merely confiscated, recovered stolen, or if it is otherwise used in a crime... I know some people are just seeing dollars going up in flames and molten slag, but I can respect a decision to turn firearms connected to crime into slag..

If they were stolen, they would more than likely have been recovered by their owners or the Insurance company which covered their loss via a settlement payment to the owner who lost them in the theft. Stolen pistols go into the national database as such I believe. I'm sure that the first place the MSP would check no matter where they were recovered from.
If they were unreported, then whoever had them deserves to lose them in my opinion.
Stolen, used in a crime, etc... There's no need to destroy good "tools".. They can grind up all of those Lorcin or Phoenix P.O.S.'s as far as I am concerned, but the good stuff should be reintegrated into society...
LoL...

moosedog2
02-06-2020, 11:46 AM
At the very least, they should be able to break them down for parts if not just auction outright. Just a plain waste.

Leader
02-06-2020, 02:35 PM

I agree, those bad guns that commit crimes should be punished.
Those that commit more then one crime should be punished for each & every crime they committed.

Tom S.
02-07-2020, 02:49 PM
I'd rather see them melt the people who committed down into slag. :lurk:

Viking
02-13-2020, 07:59 PM
I agree, those bad guns that commit crimes should be punished.
Those that commit more then one crime should be punished for each & every crime they committed.

We can all argue all day long that burden of proof is the responsibility of the prosecutor, but for example, if you have purchased, or come into ownership of firearms that have been connected via ballistics or other means to a crime, committed prior to your possession, now you have the burden to prove you didn't own it at the time of the alleged connection to the firearm. An astronomically unlikely scenario, but do you really want to give some rando detective reason to suspect and then latch onto confirmation bias and harass you for the rest of their career?

I don't think the firearm deserves a fiery death either, but I couldn't afford to have my house cut apart, or my vehicles disassembled looking for further evidence only be told that the resulting damages and expenses were my problem, because I've seen that happen. (Though in that case they were looking for a firearm the suspect didn't own much less have any record of owning the same caliber... and it boiled down to he was a suspect because of the color of his car and nothing else of value). Thus, why I respect the decision, I don't necessarily like it, or agree with it, but I can see a few potential chain of events that could arise if firearms used in murders end up back out in personal collections.

Viking
02-13-2020, 07:59 PM
I'd rather see them melt the people who committed down into slag. :lurk:

lol, almost too bad that would fall under "cruel and unusual" punishment.

bluesgunner
02-14-2020, 07:54 AM
That's painful to look at that list of weapons knowing their demise. Well, maybe not the Taurus stuff.

coltpython22
06-28-2020, 03:10 PM
I can’t see how they are destroying colt revolvers, I am depressed.

bob777
07-21-2020, 08:30 PM
Sig P938 Stolen in WA state

One gun saved due to serial number on police report.

Stolen from my son around 6 or 7 yrs ago.

Recovered by police and returned to me due to my son moving out of state to MI a 5 yrs ago.

Still has some of the green finger print powder residue on it. It even came with bad guy bullets, the ammo that was in it when the cops took it off the bad guys, in a little plastic bag covered in green fingerprint powder.

I did not do anything with it because I thought my son would want me to ship it back to him ASAP. Has a bunch of other guns now and just said bring it with you in a few yrs when you move to MI.

was going to post photo but I dont have enough post yet.

Wa state hates guns but not all police departments do so they got it back to us.

Had to do a bunch of long distance paper work so I could be the one who picked it up. Essentially as far as wa is concerned it is mine now as they had to legally transfer it to some one but would not ship it to my son no matter what he said or did.

Cops here will not sell or auction stolon or recovered guns, they destroy them if they cant be returned to the previous owner.

~