PDA

View Full Version : Slide on Ruger P89 Won't Come Off

BB69
03-16-2009, 06:56 PM
My wife and I just bought our first handguns. I got a M&P 9mm and she bought a Ruger P89 after shooting a friend's. After putting about 100 rounds through each this weekend I went to clean both guns. The M&P was a piece of cake to disassemble and clean. The Ruger, on the other hand, will not come apart. I have read the manual multiple times, as well as watched several videos on You Tube. I can't get the slide off. It is hitting something solid. Then, I tried to put it back to it's original condition so I could start over, and the magazine will not go back in. The ejector won't go back to it's vertical position because it's hitting the sear.

Am I missing something basic here? I called the Ruger service line and the techs were not available (out shooting they said).

Thanks for the help.
Ken

dominus
03-16-2009, 07:12 PM
Found this online:

Point muzzle in safe direction. Engage safety if not already engaged. Drop magazine.

Pull slide back and lock back to ensure that pistol is unloaded. Using your finger or a stick/pen/pencil, push ejector (mounted in frame) down (the ejector should pivot forward and down).

Now, push the slide stop from left side of frame to the right (no need to push it all the way out of the frame).

Pull slide back, lift up and separate from frame.

Remove recoil spring guide rod and recoil spring assembly. Remove barrel from slide. Basic field stripping is now complete.

BB69
03-16-2009, 07:26 PM
Those directions are the same as what the manual says. I believe I followed that exact process, but it still won't come off. The only thing I may have done the first time is not put the safety on first. However, after that, I managed to get the ejector back into place by pivoting the sear out of the way. Then, I tried with the safety on. The results are the same.

Ken

intheburbs
03-16-2009, 07:27 PM
The extractor is supposed to be laying against the sear when it's vertical. Do you mean the extractor is hitting the trigger bar, so it can't go back to vertical?

Sounds like something might be wrong with your gun. The P89 is very simple to disassemble.

I have a P89, and I can email you some hi-res pics if you want. PM me.

darrell
03-16-2009, 07:44 PM
Maybe it's part of the RRN (Ruger Recall Network) :)

BB69
03-16-2009, 08:00 PM
I took a picture of it, but I can't post it.

The ejector is definitely laying against the sear, preventing the ejector from going back to vertical.

Ken

Geogh3
03-16-2009, 08:55 PM
Might I make a suggestion. I have several Rugers and I love em but they are all just a little tricky to get apart and back together... What I do is take the gun to where the computer is... go to Utube and find a video of sombody taking apart or puting back together a p89 ... watch the video to the end first ... then with the gun in hand... follow them. My P944 is very tricky and when I got infront of the video I noticed there was something that was seemd insignificant that made the difference. My Ruger 22/45 the important thing is to be tilting it forward for the pin to seat.. the P94 the little lines need to be lined up .. so watch a video with the gun in hand and use the mouse to pause if you need to and most likely you wil find the problem. Last resort take the gun to where you bought it and they will laugh and then show you how to do it....

BB69
03-16-2009, 09:51 PM
The extractor is supposed to be laying against the sear when it's vertical. Do you mean the extractor is hitting the trigger bar, so it can't go back to vertical?

Sounds like something might be wrong with your gun. The P89 is very simple to disassemble.

I have a P89, and I can email you some hi-res pics if you want. PM me.

I got it with your help. The ejector was rotating too far forward. There is a very small detent on the ejector. When I was pushing it down, I never even felt the detent. With your pictures it was clear the ejector was too far forward. Once I had the ejector holding the sear slightly open, the slide came right off.

I will clean it tomorrow and put it all back together.

The directions don't say anything about the detent, and none of the videos I watched said anything about it either. I simply pushed it down like the directions said.

Thanks for the help.

Ken