PDA

View Full Version : Need safe advise! First time buyer

.38special
09-24-2019, 06:58 PM
I've owned guns for most of my life, always had the luxury of having a full room to lock them in(walk in safe). Well I'm finally moving out of the city, but it's a small house with no basement. So I'm in need of a large safe. I've got around 30 guns currently but I buy when ever I get a deal, so rim for more is good.
Any suggestions for a quality safe? What to look for? I'm after a digital lock(unless I shouldn't)
Favorite brands? Good places to buy near gr(Hoogerhyde)
Anyone want to sell me one?

partdeux
09-24-2019, 07:45 PM
bigger is better. Buy twice what you think you will need, and it might be good for a couple of years. Liberty advertises their safes are superior, and US Mfg.

Parkanzky
09-24-2019, 07:50 PM
No direct experience but someone recommended Hollon safes the other day and I started looking into them. They clearly make some very nice stuff. But it comes down to budget. I am considering one of their smaller high-security safes for my NFA and other special stuff and keeping my nice, but much cheaper and much lower security safe to keep the kids and casual thieves away from more normal stuff.

Leader
09-24-2019, 08:33 PM
Mechanical locks never have dead batteries. & the electrical connections never fail.

rickmasters
09-25-2019, 09:55 AM
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/life-out-here/tool-shop/stock-your-shop/gun-safe-buying-guide

.38special
09-26-2019, 08:09 PM
https://www.tractorsupply.com/tsc/cms/life-out-here/tool-shop/stock-your-shop/gun-safe-buying-guide

Anyone own one? Like it? Secure?

mitommy
09-27-2019, 01:48 AM
I love my Liberty safe. As suggested above, I went with a mechanical lock. The mechanical lock may not be as fast a electronic, but I just felt they are more reliable. It’s fire rated for 60 minutes, IIRC. The locking bars are plentiful and very solid. It’s bolted to the floor and tight to the wall. It’s very convenient got gun storage and “important papers.” I opted for a pre installed inside electrical and Ethernet. It made installing lighting and golden rod (de humidifier) very easy. I went with a LED light kit that goes along the door frames.

.38special
09-27-2019, 07:18 AM
I love my Liberty safe. As suggested above, I went with a mechanical lock. The mechanical lock may not be as fast a electronic, but I just felt they are more reliable. It’s fire rated for 60 minutes, IIRC. The locking bars are plentiful and very solid. It’s bolted to the floor and tight to the wall. It’s very convenient got gun storage and “important papers.” I opted for a pre installed inside electrical and Ethernet. It made installing lighting and golden rod (de humidifier) very easy. I went with a LED light kit that goes along the door frames.

Ooooo extras LoL...definitely need all of those too
I think I'm getting one tomorrow

partdeux
09-29-2019, 08:00 PM
I just came across Rhino safes... they are very substantial and appear very strong.

.38special
09-29-2019, 08:52 PM
I just bought a liberty 40 gun safe, on sale for$1100 at tractor supply
P.s. Sorry to who ever called the store looking for one as a checked out with the last one

joelansing
10-12-2019, 10:45 PM
I use a cheap $549 64 gun Stack On safe from Dunhams. But, I also have a $200 screaming loud motion sensing alarm system from Ebay, and a couple cameras recording using Blue Iris. A $1200 safe would be better. But I take the money saved by getting a cheap safe,and protect my entire house. Nobody is going to spend time breaking into my big cheap safe, while alarms are screaming, and cameras are rolling. The cheapo 64 gun safe is way back in a corner of the house, in a bedroom, bolted to the floor and wall, in a corner. It's probably 900 pounds full. Very hard to move, even if you had time.

- Joe

dstallguy
10-13-2019, 09:03 AM
I bought a Zanotti Armor safe - used by the US Military as it’s a build-in-place safe. Allowed me to install a safe twice as large as what I could have if I had to put a smaller safe on a dolly and moved to the basement. It’s built in America, very strong and very well appointed. If I ever move, this safe can be taken apart. Don’t confuse this with the cheap Chinese modular knockoffs.

jmgstr
12-28-2020, 07:01 PM
bigger is better. Buy twice what you think you will need, and it might be good for a couple of years. Liberty advertises their safes are superior, and US Mfg.

this 100%

oldmann1967
12-28-2020, 07:25 PM
Whatever you do build walls flush with the sides and even above it so only the door is exposed. Anchor it to the back wall and the floor. If it can get tipped on its back a guy with a six foot crowbar will get in less than a minute.

https://youtu.be/B8ViUdd-2LM

Remy
12-31-2020, 09:49 AM
I use a cheap $549 64 gun Stack On safe from Dunhams. But, I also have a $200 screaming loud motion sensing alarm system from Ebay, and a couple cameras recording using Blue Iris. A $1200 safe would be better. But I take the money saved by getting a cheap safe,and protect my entire house. Nobody is going to spend time breaking into my big cheap safe, while alarms are screaming, and cameras are rolling. The cheapo 64 gun safe is way back in a corner of the house, in a bedroom, bolted to the floor and wall, in a corner. It's probably 900 pounds full. Very hard to move, even if you had time.

- Joe

I’ve been thinking about getting a cheaper stack on safe due to its price. Not worried about it being broken into or stolen for similar reasons and mine being placed far into my basement. Only thing holding me back is I heard the locking mechanism is pretty stiff and sticky. Have you had any issues with your safe?

joelansing
01-24-2021, 02:18 PM
I’ve been thinking about getting a cheaper stack on safe due to its price. Not worried about it being broken into or stolen for similar reasons and mine being placed far into my basement. Only thing holding me back is I heard the locking mechanism is pretty stiff and sticky. Have you had any issues with your safe?

I've had mine for 2-3 years now. No issues yet. The 9V battery never runs down, but I change it out every 3-4 months. So far for the price I still love it. It looks like it is still on sale, and available at a lot of stores. I'd call first though because their inventory system isn't the best. https://www.dunhamssports.com/product/64_gun_fireproof_safe/S0004815171.html
- Joe

RCJW
02-10-2021, 08:04 PM
Look at NWforce 13. He just asked a very similar question. Same advice I would tell you. Good luck.

jmgstr
02-18-2021, 03:10 PM
nuy bigger than you can forsee needing i personally like digital locks im in & out of my safes a lot