PDA

View Full Version : Czech Kar98k headspace problems... maybe?

That one dude
10-09-2019, 06:28 PM
I just aquired a Czech (captured?) Kar98k at an auction sale and I'm having trouble chambering a round. I'm certain it's still in 8mm Mauser, the numbers match on all parts, and the bore is pristine. But when I try chambering a round from the magazine, the bullet gets stuck so that about the back 1/3 of the round is still visible before I can't go any further, so then I could drop a round straight down the chamber and it'll appear to have gone all the way in, but when I try closing on it, the bolt only turns about 40° or so before it stops, but I assume it's the extractor not getting around the lip.

Is this a head space issue or is there maybe a piece of an old case stuck inside the chamber? I tried taking a flash light and looking but I can't see inside of it that well. When I do try chambering a round though it gets stuck hard enough to where I need to drop an aluminum cleaning rod down the bore with a little force to make it pop out.

Hopefully you guys know more about the Czech Kar98k's than I do.

oldmann1967
10-09-2019, 07:03 PM
I just aquired a Czech (captured?) Kar98k at an auction sale and I'm having trouble chambering a round. I'm certain it's still in 8mm Mauser, the numbers match on all parts, and the bore is pristine. But when I try chambering a round from the magazine, the bullet gets stuck so that about the back 1/3 of the round is still visible before I can't go any further, so then I could drop a round straight down the chamber and it'll appear to have gone all the way in, but when I try closing on it, the bolt only turns about 40° or so before it stops, but I assume it's the extractor not getting around the lip.

Is this a head space issue or is there maybe a piece of an old case stuck inside the chamber? I tried taking a flash light and looking but I can't see inside of it that well. When I do try chambering a round though it gets stuck hard enough to where I need to drop an aluminum cleaning rod down the bore with a little force to make it pop out.

Hopefully you guys know more about the Czech Kar98k's than I do.

1. Are you certain the barrel is original? Good chance of it being re-barreled in 30-06.

2. Also, are you clambering Yugo ammo? It is longer.

3. Have you disassembled and cleaned all the cosmoline out of it?

Roundballer
10-09-2019, 07:32 PM
The Czech Mauser that my Dad used to have was a 7mm. That would make the difference that you are describing.

That one dude
10-09-2019, 08:45 PM
1. I've done the muzzle test with an 8mm round and a 30-06. It completely eats the 30-06, and the 8mm still sticks out a little. I'll play around with it a little more though (safely)

2. I'm using Romanian (green steel case, right?)

3. I haven't bothered to clean it yet because the gun overall is pretty much clean of grease or cosmoline from what I can see, but since you mention it there might still be some left in the chamber I just can't see, so I'll try cleaning it.

Thanks for the reply

That one dude
10-09-2019, 08:49 PM
I've tried the muzzle test with a 30-06 and it completely eats the bullet, and I think .30 cal is bigger than 7mm, and like I said the bore is pristine so it can't be 7mm. I'll try playing with it some more and see if I can figure it out

That one dude
10-09-2019, 09:19 PM
UPDATE: I messed around with the gun a little more and I did get an 8mm round to completely chamber, although half the time the round doesn't slid right in, instead it gets stuck to where about 1/3 of the shell is still showing, like I said it was doing before. But all I gotta do is pull back out and try again then it'll slide right in with hardly any resistance. On the last 45° or so the bolt is just a little stiff when closing, so I'm guessing it's just incredibly tight headspace?

oldmann1967
10-10-2019, 09:24 AM
Well that is interesting. Inspect the brass case. Any scratches or galling? Could be a bur on the edge of the chamber. I really dont think headspace would hinder it as much as you are describing. Are you using a bullet larger than like 140gr.?

That one dude
10-10-2019, 02:41 PM
Well that is interesting. Inspect the brass case. Any scratches or galling? Could be a bur on the edge of the chamber. I really dont think headspace would hinder it as much as you are describing. Are you using a bullet larger than like 140gr.?
There is a little scratching on the casings when I extract, so you could be right. I'll have to get a bore camera or something so I can really look down in there. And yeah, the lightest 8mm ammo I have is 170 grain.