PDA

View Full Version : Proper way to polish barrel chamber?

pgaplayerless
03-22-2009, 08:42 PM
Well my rifle assembled from a well used parts kit has issues extracting spend casing from the chamber. Sometimes they eject out half way, sometimes they fail to extract from the chamber all together and I need to get a cleaning rod in the bore to get it out. Happens with S&B or Wolf or Lake City Ammo, so i know the chamber is rough. Spent casing looks like somebody swiped them with sand paper.

What is the sure way of polishing out the chamber? I know combo of something and an electric drill, but what is that something?

7.62 Nato
03-22-2009, 10:14 PM
I would use J-B bore compound but I wouldn't use the drill.

RifleGuy
03-23-2009, 04:41 AM
I'll second the J-B Bore compound, suggest adding a drop or two of Kroil oil (greatest stuff!) and polishing with a large felt bob saturated with the resulting goo.

IF you go with a drill motor, go with a variable speed cordless, and make sure no metal comes in contact with your gun/barrel!

If you polish by hand, a dozen turns and then completely clean & inspect your work. If turning by drill, give it a 3 second spin, then clean & inspect.

Work slow, inspect often, and remember; you goal is to lightly polish, NOT remove metal!

Good luck, and post some before/after shots if you don't mind; we're interested in your results.

pgaplayerless
03-23-2009, 08:44 PM
I'll second the J-B Bore compound, suggest adding a drop or two of Kroil oil (gratest stuff!) and polishing with a large felt bob saturated with the resulting goo.

IF you go with a drill motor, go with a variable speed cordless, and make sure no metal comes in contact with your gun/barrel!

If you polish by hand, a dozen turns and then completely clean & inspect your work. If turning by drill, give it a 3 second spin, then clean & inspect.

Work slow, inspect often, and remember; you goal is to lightly polish, NOT remove metal!

Good luck, and post some before/after shots if you don't mind; we're interested in your results.

is there anybody that sells J-B bore and Kroil locally to metro detroit?

i will try taking picture but it will be quite challenging to get good chamber shot

RifleGuy
03-24-2009, 03:49 AM
is there anybody that sells J-B bore and Kroil locally to metro detroit?
Mmm... I always order via Midway USA. Anyone know a local source?

wishn-i-was-fishn
03-24-2009, 06:36 AM
Mmm... I always order via Midway USA. Anyone know a local source?

Order today from Midway and it will be on your doorstep in 2 - 3 days. Great service, good products and fast shipping. No fuss no muss.

pgaplayerless
04-02-2009, 09:44 AM
Well I did some polishing couple days ago.

What i used was some 000 and 0000 steel wool, chamber brush and chome polish. I used my cordless drill to provide the spining power. It seemed to work quite well. It looks a lot brighter but you can still see some of the deep scratches. It is obviously that a lot of dirt got into the chamber during it's life time, but hopefully it will ectract now. If not, my next step will be adding a little shim under the extractor spring.

I should mention that the chamber is chrome lined so the steel wool can't really do much metal removal.

Shooter McNasty
04-22-2009, 02:25 AM
http://www.reamerrentals.com/

Im calling them about something else tomorrow.
Ive heard of guys making a casting out of lead and rubbing laping compond on it then using a drill to polish it out.

pgaplayerless
04-27-2009, 01:41 PM
Well I did some polishing couple days ago.

What i used was some 000 and 0000 steel wool, chamber brush and chome polish. I used my cordless drill to provide the spining power. It seemed to work quite well. It looks a lot brighter but you can still see some of the deep scratches. It is obviously that a lot of dirt got into the chamber during it's life time, but hopefully it will ectract now. If not, my next step will be adding a little shim under the extractor spring.

I should mention that the chamber is chrome lined so the steel wool can't really do much metal removal.

FYI for everybody, my trick described above worked. No more stuck rounds! S&B, LC surplus, and wolf all ejected as they should have.

Yippie!