PDA

View Full Version : Finishing a deer with a pistol

dirtyharry
11-09-2019, 01:08 PM
If a deer is shot during bow season (with a bow), is it legal to finish it with a pistol if needed once you find it? A buddy says it is, but I don’t think so. My thought is how do you prove which shot came first, the arrow or the bullet.

matt11
11-09-2019, 03:20 PM
It is not legal at all during bow season to utilize a firearm to kill a deer even if it is to put it out of its misery.

JDG
11-10-2019, 06:47 AM
If a deer is shot during bow season (with a bow), is it legal to finish it with a pistol if needed once you find it? A buddy says it is, but I don’t think so. My thought is how do you prove which shot came first, the arrow or the bullet.

Your buddy does not comprehend the term "Bow" Now you go tell him you was right this time!! lol

JohnJak
11-11-2019, 11:02 AM
Was your life in eminent danger during the shooting?

Hawgrider
11-11-2019, 11:30 AM

That would be an absolutely NOT!

DrScaryGuy
11-11-2019, 12:16 PM
Was your life in eminent danger during the shooting?

didn't you see the story about a hunter that got killed by the deer he had already shot?

oldmann1967
11-11-2019, 01:39 PM

Not a chance

gman
11-21-2019, 12:56 PM
ummm, why not finish it with another arrow from his bow? I have had to do this in the past, if you're close enough to put a finishing shot in it with your concealed carry, you're close enough for another bow shot.

zcolt45
11-21-2019, 02:06 PM
What about that Knife you have!
If its too close, attach it to Selfie Stick and?

JDG
11-21-2019, 10:38 PM
What about that Knife you have!
If its too close, attach it to Selfie Stick and?

You hunt with a selfie stick? lol

zcolt45
11-22-2019, 02:37 AM
You hunt with a selfie stick? lol

Who Takes your Photo after you Harvest your Game!

That selfie stick can hold that skinning knife to ensure you are at a safe distance when poking the game.
Hunters do carry knives into the field!

and for those that use a support...

Choose the Right Shooting Sticks (https://www.americanhunter.org/articles/2019/6/15/how-to-choose-the-right-shooting-sticks/)

//\\

oil dripper
11-22-2019, 06:34 AM
Who Takes your Photo after you Harvest your Game!

That selfie stick can hold that skinning knife to ensure you are at a safe distance when poking the game.
Hunters do carry knives into the field!

Yes, you wouldn't want to do a Eduardo Garcia on it, but make sure that selfie stick is non conductive.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eduardo_Garcia_(American_chef)#Hunting_accident

MentalAttack
12-12-2019, 10:15 AM
Heard that you can have to pay a fee for that, or even it is possible to lose your license

matt11
12-12-2019, 10:46 AM
Heard that you can have to pay a fee for that, or even it is possible to lose your license

Vioate game laws, you could also have your gun and even vehicle confiscated.

JohnJak
12-12-2019, 05:59 PM
Pistol whipping is allowed.

mudoven
12-14-2019, 06:37 PM
Slightly off topic, but is it legal to dispatch a mortally wounded deer (with a firearm) that has been struck by a vehicle? Seems inhumane to let an animal suffer needlessly.

matt11
12-14-2019, 06:51 PM
Slightly off topic, but is it legal to dispatch a mortally wounded deer (with a firearm) that has been struck by a vehicle? Seems inhumane to let an animal suffer needlessly.

No. Actually my BIL that lives near traverse city went through this with a cop up there, BIL stopped at an accident where a deer was hit, Pleaded with cop to put deer that wash thrashing and making some horrific noises to put it out of it misery.

PhotoTom
12-14-2019, 06:56 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MX7Yo0tWDgk

JDG
12-14-2019, 09:56 PM
LMAO!!^^^

RMC
12-19-2019, 10:14 AM
In 2017 there was an article where a taxidermist found a .22 in the skull of a deer head he was skinning so he called the DNR. They contacted the hunter who told them he downed the deer with a muzzleloader and then finished it with a .22 handgun. IIRC the hunter was educated on the law and given a ticket for using the .22 during muzzleloader season. They did not say if he lost the deer or any firearm.

bentstick
12-20-2019, 05:22 PM
No. Actually my BIL that lives near traverse city went through this with a cop up there, BIL stopped at an accident where a deer was hit, Pleaded with cop to put deer that wash thrashing and making some horrific noises to put it out of it misery.

You are allowed to if"in season and have proper license" if you have the responding officers or Dnr permission,only reason permission has to granted is it in a right of way ie the road,other than nope it up to officer or DNR to finish off the animal

HarrisJrld
12-26-2019, 01:50 PM
Of course, you can’t! It is absolutely not legal during the bow season! Your friend either tried to betray you, or he didn't know it himself:Ноно:

tenthumbs
12-27-2019, 04:31 PM
Use a tar arn.

JamesCC
12-27-2019, 07:00 PM
Not illegal but your buddy may have a hard time sleeping if his conscious starts to make up stories in his head. You good man!

Leader
12-28-2019, 08:59 AM
Use a tar arn.

Also against the law.

Roundballer
12-28-2019, 10:44 AM
Also against the law.

O RLY?

tenthumbs
12-28-2019, 12:49 PM
Also against the law.

You must be thinking of a tar tule.

mudoven
12-28-2019, 04:02 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when you can not dispatch a mortally wounded animal by shooting, stabbing, or bludgeoning...the poor thing has to suffer until a DNR or LEO shows up and puts it out of its misery. That is inhumane and just plain wrong.

Leader
12-28-2019, 05:31 PM
It's a sad state of affairs when you can not dispatch a mortally wounded animal by shooting, stabbing, or bludgeoning...the poor thing has to suffer until a DNR or LEO shows up and puts it out of its misery. That is inhumane and just plain wrong.

But it IS the law as written.
If it is not in season or you don't have a license, you can't legally kill it.

nmuskier
12-31-2019, 04:05 PM
But it IS the law as written.
If it is not in season or you don't have a license, you can't legally kill it.

"It was already dead. I was just proving the point!" :grin:

PatriotWholesale
01-01-2020, 06:17 PM
As others have stated 100% illegal to use a gun to finish off a deer. The only legal way would be if you were in fear of your life but if the deer is down there is no way that would fly (you'd also have to contact law enforcement ASAP).

As it relates to a deer hit but a car it's also mostly illegal to put down the deer. The only exception I could think of is if it was during firearm season and the deer made it off of the right of way onto your property, you have permission from the land owner or state land that allows hunting. In this case you'd have to use your tag as well.

langenc
01-05-2020, 06:55 PM
AND do NOT finish one along the highway either.... Let the LEO/deer cop do it-they get paid to do so.

Magicshark
01-09-2020, 03:32 AM
Why don't you want to finish it with an another arrow? I don't think it is necessary to use a pistol in this case, if only there is an emergency.