PDA

View Full Version : Learn shotgun sports?

a2revolver
03-29-2009, 10:19 PM
I would like to take up shotgun sport shooting, clay, skeet...etc? I'm not sure where to begin.

Joeywhat
03-29-2009, 10:43 PM
http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=40352&highlight=island+lake

TFin04
03-29-2009, 11:10 PM
Island Lake is an excellent resource as well as Silver Lake Sporting Clays in Dexter.

For online material, the forums at www.shotgunworld.com have covered just about every topic you can think of.

wishn-i-was-fishn
03-30-2009, 06:52 AM
If you are new to shotguns Fenton Lakes Sportsman's Club is planning a NRA First Steps Shotgun Course in June.

I will have the date & registration info on my website in the coming weeks.

www.migunteacher.com

DHughes
03-30-2009, 08:54 AM
Island Lake shooting range has 4 full time instructors available. There is also clinics that are conducted on a variety of dates. Check the schedule for clinics. Also look through the instructors pages and see what is available that may suit your needs.

http://www.islandlakeshootingrange.com/default.htm

a2revolver
03-30-2009, 05:17 PM
Thanks for all the great replies! :woohoo1:

a2revolver
03-30-2009, 05:28 PM
OK, next question. What are some good choices for first shotgun for these kinds of sports?

I have a Mossberg 500 pump for home protection; which I assume is not what I need for clay target.

I'm not rich, so looking for an entry level gun.

postban
03-31-2009, 08:33 AM
OK, next question. What are some good choices for first shotgun for these kinds of sports?

I have a Mossberg 500 pump for home protection; which I assume is not what I need for clay target.

I'm not rich, so looking for an entry level gun.
This will be a great reason to attend Shotgun Day, you get to see, fondle, shoot a lot of different types of shotguns.

What configuration is your M500?

If the bbl is 26" or longer you can bring it out and try it.

A lot of people buy intro guns and end up selling them as they try to better their scores. Gun fit is critical and all the lower priced guns (and a lot of $$$ ones) are hit or miss on gun fit. How the gun fits and your view of the front bead determines where your shot goes, poor fit, you miss, hate sport, go home and kick dog. Good gun fit, target breaks, great glee, smiles abound, buy dog treats. Instead of doing it the way I did (buy many guns and kick dog a lot) go for gun fit over price.

Impromptu Check for fit in a gun store for a intro gun;
Shoulder the gun and look down the rib. If it has a mid bead that should appear to just touch the bottom of the front bead. It is called "seeing a figure eight"
_8_ <--this view is ideal
_o_ <--this is gonna shoot low
__8_ <--needs cast on (common)
_8__<--needs cast off (rare)

If no midbead then you should see a little of the top of the rib, about the height of the front bead is the right amount. If you see the hump of the receiver before the bead it will shoot low. If you see too much rib it will shoot high (usually not a bad thing) If the rib is not centered you need more or less "cast" (angling the buttstock right of left to position your eye in line with the rib)

Now shoulder it 5 times eyes open, should be the same view each time. If it moves around try to be consistent with your placement. Then try it with eyes closed, shoulder, then open eyes, repeat 5x.

DO NOT MOVE your head to "make" it fit. If it does line up then it does not line up, the gun needs adjustment or you need a different gun.

Also, the beads, they are just for making sure your eye is in the right spot. When shooting you do not look at them, you look at the target.

I have gone through more than a dozen shotguns, finally settling on a Beretta 391 Optima Sporting 12ga. It is adjustable for drop (up/down) and cast (left/right) with little plastic shims. They give you some adjustability, not as good as a fitted gun from a professional but it just so happens that one of those shim sets gives me perfect bead alignment.

You are welcome to try it, Also got a 391 20ga for my son, bringing an 870 12ga out to loan too.

Joeywhat
03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
I've used a Mossy 500 quite extensively for clays. The 28" vent rib barrel does alright with the right choke. Granted I like my dad's Browning O/U MUCH better....but for $200 you can't go wrong with a Mossy.

You can buy different stocks for it as well, or just modify the current one.