PDA

View Full Version : Baiting 2009

Hockey9019
04-11-2009, 07:19 PM
Anyone know if they are going to still make it illegal to bait this year?

Made_in_Michigan
04-11-2009, 07:20 PM
I talked to a DNR officer about 2 hours ago, and from our conversation, I believe it will be illegal this year as well (Pending some change at a later date of course)

Done Deal
04-11-2009, 08:36 PM
Well....at least the farmers will know ahead of time this year.

They really got screwed over last year with the DNR's knee jerk reaction.

Made_in_Michigan
04-11-2009, 09:08 PM

Apparently, it was the Dept. of Agriculture who really put the screws in when it came to calling this bait ban. (I got this from the DNR, but it sounded reasonable.) The Dept. of Ag. is who is the authority over fenced game farms...

Rugergirl
04-11-2009, 09:18 PM
It is hard to keep them out of the compost piles:-D

dougwg
04-11-2009, 09:59 PM

The problem is the law that was passed in 2003 that was poorly written.

Done Deal
04-14-2009, 05:29 AM
Apparently, it was the Dept. of Agriculture who really put the screws in when it came to calling this bait ban. (I got this from the DNR, but it sounded reasonable.) The Dept. of Ag. is who is the authority over fenced game farms...

Right and that is where the one incident occurred.

BUT....the DNR was the one who put the restrictions on everybody else as a result of that one finding. Sure, we knew it was bound to happen sooner or later but....coming down like it did certainly put a hardship on many folks reliant upon the income derived from baiting.

While this is a new year....at least farmers can plant knowing full well that the market shouldn't be there for crops packaged as bait.

wadevb1
04-14-2009, 06:24 AM
I don't think we will ever see baiting again.

pgaplayerless
04-14-2009, 07:08 AM
In the long run it's better for the sportsmanship. Baiting took all the hunt out of hunting, IMO. And I'm as quilty of doing it.

Done Deal
04-18-2009, 01:17 PM
In the long run it's better for the sportsmanship. Baiting took all the hunt out of hunting, IMO. And I'm as quilty of doing it.

Flip side is.....unless you have good food and/or cover....your neighbor is going to be the one doing the killing. I used bait to get deer where I wanted them in an open field (instead of 40 or 50 yards out) or in the brush behind me on the neighbors.

Oh well.....I will adapt but....I cannot change the land as I don't own it.

pgaplayerless
04-18-2009, 01:34 PM
Flip side is.....unless you have good food and/or cover....your neighbor is going to be the one doing the killing. I used bait to get deer where I wanted them in an open field (instead of 40 or 50 yards out) or in the brush behind me on the neighbors.

Oh well.....I will adapt but....I cannot change the land as I don't own it.

hey such is life when it gets to hunting. Nobody hunter is entitled to a deer kill. The deer licenses we all buy a permit to kill a deer, it's not a coupon redeemable for one dead deer ;)

I think what's also needed is a no button buck, spike and forker shooting rule and loosening of the antlerless regulations/licenses so that bucks have chance to show their potential while the meat hunters stay happy.

Done Deal
04-18-2009, 02:28 PM
hey such is life when it gets to hunting. Nobody hunter is entitled to a deer kill. The deer licenses we all buy a permit to kill a deer, it's not a coupon redeemable for one dead deer ;)

I think what's also needed is a no button buck, spike and forker shooting rule and loosening of the antlerless regulations/licenses so that bucks have chance to show their potential while the meat hunters stay happy.

Venison is heart heathy and a required part of my diet.

Cover of the latest Field and Stream mentions overharvest of does but, I haven't read it yet.

We have a DNR setting standards and laws that make it look like they are talking out of both sides of their mouth. Then we have input from hunters who are just happy to see a deer to folks like me who kill their deer every year but....live for a decent set of antlers. Trouble is around me....hunting pressure is too tough and I cannot afford to obtain hunting ground that might be more productive. Oh well....I have one booker on the wall....I guess that is gonna have to do me.

pgaplayerless
04-18-2009, 02:34 PM
Venison is heart heathy and a required part of my diet.

Cover of the latest Field and Stream mentions overharvest of does but, I haven't read it yet.

We have a DNR setting standards and laws that make it look like they are talking out of both sides of their mouth. Then we have input from hunters who are just happy to see a deer to folks like me who kill their deer every year but....live for a decent set of antlers. Trouble is around me....hunting pressure is too tough and I cannot afford to obtain hunting ground that might be more productive. Oh well....I have one booker on the wall....I guess that is gonna have to do me.

hahah want some venison? I have plenty in the freezer! :lol: (GF does not eat red meats and i do all the cooking so needless to say i don't ever get chance to cook it!)

OpenSights
04-18-2009, 02:52 PM

Aren't we al as Americans entitled to something free??? HA

I got two buttons this last year and was pissed at myself. The first one I should have known better as he was a loaner. The second I kicked up and had to fire if I had a chance.
Tasty though.

As far as baiting goes... don't care. Heck, so far it seems like they like to come to you out here and not you to them. I like the hunt. And the meat too.

But I have seen some good points for doing it so far.

Done Deal
04-18-2009, 03:49 PM
hahah want some venison? I have plenty in the freezer! :lol: (GF does not eat red meats and i do all the cooking so needless to say i don't ever get chance to cook it!)

I am good. I also shot an early doe (a taxidermist friend wanted a Sept doe to mount) and my wife made a mess out of another with my car.

Rest assured, I am never wanting for venison....but, if you get a line on bucks over 130", lemme know and I will be there with my sharp sticks.

fbuckner
04-18-2009, 05:17 PM
The whole baiting ban was stupid anyhow. If anyone with a lick of sense they would know by watching deer that they frequently greet each other with nose nuzzling and even it a hay field sometimes they eat touching noses. Now While I dont agree with dump truck sized bait piles the 5 gallon rule was good enough.

caribouhunter
04-22-2009, 05:35 PM
I will agree with the no baiting policy only WHEN the DNR imposes a no feeding and no baiting allowed 24/7 x 365 on the "game" farms.

The biggest hunting problems in this state are all a result of game farms ( pigs and deer diseases) - the DNR solution is to impose rules on the average hunter to clean up the mess the which the DNR allowed made. What were these so call experts doing to keep this from happening - they only show up after the fact and tell me what I have to do to help solve this problem.

As the previous poster said, sit in the field a while and you will see deer "greet" each other by rubbing noses. We are being lied to by the DNR.

wwjmaj
04-23-2009, 11:15 AM
We are being lied to by the DNR.

NO IT CAN NOT BE TRUE THEY ARE FROM THE GOVERNMENT AND HERE TO HELP! Special Interests could never be involved in the highly educated governmental employees decisions.

Passport
04-25-2009, 05:32 PM

Boy do I agree with that one!!!!!!!!!!!

Passport
04-25-2009, 05:43 PM
I threw bait at em hard in the day, but last year with no bait I saw more and better bucks. They just flat need to spend more time on there feet to feed. In the past after about the 3 day's of rifle you almost never saw a buck where I hunt in Isabella county.

Im all for no baiting and some kind of ban on buttons, in fact I would like to see the rifle opener moved to 12-1, hunting deer in the rut with a rifle is a piss poor way to grow good bucks. Look at any of the states that let you hunt with a gun during the rut, most dont have anything in the way of quality bucks. On the other hand look at the states that dont bait, dont hunt with guns during the rut and the real good ones are a 1 buck state, Ohio for example. There gun opener is 12-1, 1 buck a year, TONS of doe tags avaiable and when you shoot a buck you MUST check it in the day you killed the deer. Just a well run DNR in OH.

Bur I digress, I think we have seen the end of baiting as we once new it. And as a former baiter Im glad to see it end. Now if we can address the other stuff we would be in high coton!!

JohnJak
04-29-2009, 01:59 PM

I have never baited and always get my deer on stateland.

Sargeyork
05-07-2009, 04:23 AM
A clue here would be that the NRC when they met late in the year they passed a rule and called it a PERMANENT ban after the court case by baiters and bait sellers was settled by the courts.:slap: :crosshai: