PDA

View Full Version : Adjusting drop of stock - 870 synthetic

John.M
04-12-2009, 01:39 PM
Hi there-

Not sure if you guys can help me with this, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask.

I have a 12 gauge Remington 870 with the monte carlo stock (originally came with the cantilever barrel that is for sale on another forum) that I have a rifle-sights, slug barrel on.

I zeroed the gun yesterday, and had a hard time pushing my head down on the stock to get a good sight picture. It was the classic "gun don't fit just right" scenario. I thought it was the lead sled that I was using, but I even tried offhand a few times, and the story was the same.

So... I've decided that I need the stock to have more "drop" in it. I've looked for a shim kit for the 870, and have had no luck.

Here is my question - can I trim the stock where it mates with the receiver to create more drop? I am pretty mechanically inclined, but was wondering if anyone had any lessons to share on this project before I go get a saw, and go to work. Any tips as to how to make this happen? It is a synthetic stock, just to clarify.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I looked at the ATI pistol grip stocks as a replacement option, but there are no specs on drop at heel/comb, and I don't want to get into the same scenario with a new stock that I am in now.

Thanks for your help-
John

dfrak
04-12-2009, 01:58 PM
I had the same problem with a Browning shotgun. In the store, it seemed fine, but out on the trap fields, it didn't feel right. I thought about modifying the stock, but I didn't want to risk it. I also looked at buying a different stock, but that was a little pricey.
So, I shopped around and picked up an adjustable butt plate at Cabela's, similar to this one:
http://www.graco-corp.com/adjustable-butt-plate.aspx?CategoryId=25

I know I didn't pay that much, but I can't recall the specifics. I installed it myself, with a little help of a Dremel to file down the edges. The stock was not affected at all.

I know there are several others out there and I bet if you poke around, you could find something that will do the trick.

Dan

John.M
04-12-2009, 06:56 PM
I had the same problem with a Browning shotgun. In the store, it seemed fine, but out on the trap fields, it didn't feel right. I thought about modifying the stock, but I didn't want to risk it. I also looked at buying a different stock, but that was a little pricey.
So, I shopped around and picked up an adjustable butt plate at Cabela's, similar to this one:
http://www.graco-corp.com/adjustable-butt-plate.aspx?CategoryId=25

I know I didn't pay that much, but I can't recall the specifics. I installed it myself, with a little help of a Dremel to file down the edges. The stock was not affected at all.

I know there are several others out there and I bet if you poke around, you could find something that will do the trick.

Dan

Hadn't thought of that - thanks for the suggestion. Going to do some research!

remingtondude58
04-12-2009, 07:17 PM
Couldn't you just sand down the top of the stock to fit your self? I seen a guy on one of those shooting shows back when we had the outdoor channel give a lesson on fitting your gun for trap shooting and he said don't be afraid to sand it down small amounts at a time, and don't be afraid to add moleskin if you need to build it back up.

Done Deal
04-13-2009, 05:22 AM
Does anyone have any other suggestions? I looked at the ATI pistol grip stocks as a replacement option,

John

Have you tried a normal synthetic stock without the cheek piece? I would try that route and see if it solves the problem.

Oh....forget the pistol grip stocks for hunting anything but turkeys.

John.M
04-13-2009, 09:37 PM
Oh....forget the pistol grip stocks for hunting anything but turkeys.

I'm curious as to why you say that? I shot pretty well with an M-16 when I was a soldier. Now, I haven't hunted with a pistol grip, but I didn't figure that it would be a bad thing...

As an FYI for anyone else who cares, the ATI pistol grip stocks have the same drop as the standard Remington stocks, per their customer service - which, by the way, answered my question in about 4 working hours. I was impressed.

Done Deal
04-14-2009, 05:15 AM
I'm curious as to why you say that? I shot pretty well with an M-16 when I was a soldier. Now, I haven't hunted with a pistol grip, but I didn't figure that it would be a bad thing...

As an FYI for anyone else who cares, the ATI pistol grip stocks have the same drop as the standard Remington stocks, per their customer service - which, by the way, answered my question in about 4 working hours. I was impressed.

Having a pistol grip on an AR is one thing but....I discovered that when I tried to use a similar stock on a shot gun for hunting....it just didn't handle like a shotgun. Absolutely forget it for wing shooting-----guaranteed not to work right. I didn't like it on a slug gun (except for combat shoots) either. But, if you were only going to use it for stationary targets like turkey hunting....it would work well for that, especially given some of the shooting positions on finds themself in for turkey blasting.

John.M
04-14-2009, 07:22 PM
Gotcha - thanks for your thoughts - much appreciated.