PDA

View Full Version : EC Meeting April 24, 2009

wwjmaj
04-15-2009, 01:55 PM
We have rescheduled the 4/17 meeting to the following FRIDAY APRIL 24, 2009. Dinner at 6 meeting at 7. All are welcome.

EC Meeting at Country House Restaurant, 8495 N Adrian Hwy (M-52)
Tecumseh, MI 49286, Restaurant Telephone (517) 423-3657; Note this is Just SOUTH of M-50 on M-52 (Google Maps places it just North in error). CPL friendly
6:00 p.m. for group dinner. (Everyone orders and pays their own from the menu)
7:00 p.m. EC Business Meeting.

Done Deal
04-18-2009, 10:02 PM
Is there an agenda posted somewhere?

appliancebrad
04-19-2009, 10:08 AM
Might try to make this as there is nothing on my calendar that evening.

Maranatha
04-19-2009, 11:00 AM
it will be good to see you Brad, have you signed up for Camp Perry yet??

UTPD#5
04-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Dbl post

UTPD#5
04-19-2009, 03:44 PM
Is there an agenda posted somewhere?

The agenda has never been posted (to my knowledge). The EC sends our input to ED and/or Mark and then when we get to the meeting, we approve the agenda, call to the public for additions...and have a meeting that conducts business for MGO.

I don't know if it can get much simpler.

fbuckner
04-19-2009, 03:48 PM
No but I can see it could get more complicated.

Done Deal
04-19-2009, 04:17 PM
No but I can see it could get more complicated.

Oh so true....

How can the general membership possibly provide meaningful input if they are kept in the dark on what is likely to transpire at any given meeting?

UTPD#5
04-19-2009, 04:28 PM
...How can the general membership possibly provide meaningful input if they are kept in the dark on what is likely to transpire at any given meeting?

Show up to the meeting and ask for items to be added when the call to public happens, or simply post / email agenda items to be added.

If you are wanting to see what will be discussed, prior to making a suggestion, I don't know what to tell you...never been asked...sorry.

Done Deal
04-19-2009, 04:46 PM
Show up to the meeting and ask for items to be added when the call to public happens, or simply post / email agenda items to be added.

If you are wanting to see what will be discussed, prior to making a suggestion, I don't know what to tell you...never been asked...sorry.

I am sorry....not trying to be a PITA but....with all the keystrokes that have been made of late, I figured for sure that somebody would have kept a list of agenda items to be discussed.

Secondly, I guess I am just not accustomed to having no agenda to review prior to meetings that I attend. Granted, the agenda can have last minute additions to new business and other things can be discussed during the public comment/guest input part but....a well oiled organization kinda needs....uh....organization. And then there are the Bylaws to consider....and it appears that there may be room for improvement in conformance to those as well.

Like I said, I am not trying to be a PITA but....how can we possibly hope to attract and retain volunteers if we keep everybody in the dark about what all is being attended (or not) to?

For example, I see absolutely no reason why Meeting Minutes can not be posted on the appropriate forum within 5 business days of the meeting.

And what is preventing an agenda from being a work in progress whereby the EC could accept items online for inclusion in the New Business portion of the next meeting? If that were to occur, then contributing members would have the opportunity to see what is going to be formally addressed and...I guess there could even be a thread specified for each item where members could discuss it. Wouldn't the EC stand to benefit from that kind of member input?

Knowing all that....folks might be more inclined to jump in their car and drive to whereever knowing that important business really was being discussed over dessert.

Finally (for now) having proposed Bylaw changes posted for review is essential to informed voting and appears to be a Bylaw requirement anyway. The last thing we need is somebody raising a ruckus about the validity of any business being acted upon at the annual meeting---that wouldn't be any fun at all.

appliancebrad
04-19-2009, 05:04 PM
it will be good to see you Brad, have you signed up for Camp Perry yet??

Likewise Gary.

I made my hotel reservation, I'm at the Best Western this year. I haven't registered for the matches yet but I'll be shooting the Springfield and the Garand Matches, both AM relays. Still don't own a Carbine but I might pick up a Swede or Enfield to shoot the Vintage Match.

We should plan on dinner Thursday or Friday night.

UTPD#5
04-19-2009, 05:17 PM
I am sorry....

So am I. Welcome to the last two years of my MGO life.

When you reach controversy, argument and childish behavior every time something is attempted to be changed...you lose interest in making any changes.

There have been great ideas, by many; however, until there are some significant changes in the administration of those changes, they are all futile.

Hopefully, you will find time to be able to come to the meeting.

fbuckner
04-19-2009, 07:52 PM
The Minutes should be posted in draft form until accepted by the EC at the following meeting. As for any Bylaws suggestions send them to the Bylaws committee or step up for that one that is one PITA job.

Done Deal
04-19-2009, 07:54 PM
So am I. Welcome to the last two years of my MGO life.

When you reach controversy, argument and childish behavior every time something is attempted to be changed...you lose interest in making any changes.

There have been great ideas, by many; however, until there are some significant changes in the administration of those changes, they are all futile.

Hopefully, you will find time to be able to come to the meeting.

My plan is to attend my first ever annual meeting. Are you suggesting I bring Q-Tips in anticipation of the earful that I might expect to receive?

I can deal with controversy....and differnces of opinions that tend to form in the minds of otherwise like minded folks like we have here on the MGO forums.
But, while I have not had my head buried in the sand....I am certainly not up on the inner workings of the MGO. Alas, my understanding is limited to how these forums appear to be working...or not working... As such, I have my own opinions on what we can possibly do to best meet the needs of our rapidly expanding membership. Since our hearts are all supposed to be in the right place, it is my hope that we can tweak a few things and stay abreast of things. I guess we will see how it all plays out....

Done Deal
04-19-2009, 07:58 PM
The Minutes should be posted in draft form until accepted by the EC at the following meeting. As for any Bylaws suggestions send them to the Bylaws committee or step up for that one that is one PITA job.

Trust me....I understand completely how minutes are tentative, subject to committee approval at the next meeting.

At this very moment, I honestly don't' know who the Bylaws committee even is and, to be quite honest, with all the rumblings I perceive, are they even going to be the powers that be after the annual meeting?

I tossed out a couple of suggestions earlier in this thread. If you know who's ears (in this case eyes) they should go to, please forward them to the proper person(s) for review and consideration.

fbuckner
04-20-2009, 04:21 AM
UTPD#5 and KayL are your bylaws people.

Maranatha
04-20-2009, 05:51 PM
DD, what puzzle me, with you being a moderator, why were you having such a hard time finding the minutes from Past meetings and the Bylaws that are posted on the Site

wwjmaj
04-20-2009, 06:22 PM
DD, what puzzle me, with you being a SUPER moderator, why were you having such a hard time finding the minutes from Past meetings and the Bylaws that are posted on the Site

There fixed it for ya.

Done Deal
04-20-2009, 07:22 PM
Frankly...I am just getting around to prowling around the depths of this portion of the board and checking out what all is contained on the home page.

I never would have guessed to look for Bylaws under publications. Silly me....

There are members who may go straight to the forums with on their favorites setting and never have a clue what is on the home page. I always wondered what front page polls were until I found one there, albiet outdated. So, I created the thread on home ammo cache's that I thought might keep things a little fresher up there for a time. I suspect that there are a ton of folks that frequent the boards that don't pay much attention to that.

But, for somebody doing a search....what will they see first and what kind of initial impression of the MGO will be created in their mind? For example...the newsletter from 2007.....hmmmm......

Don't get me wrong, I am not trying to criticize what an all volunteer organization is attempting to do but, you have to agree that we presently have a unique window of opportunity to garner a ton of support. I would hate to see us miss out on the potential that is so obviously present.

I am pretty sure that there is a ton of fresh meat out there that is more than willing to roll up their sleeves and pitch in to benefit the organization but...they need to understand the undertakings of the MGO and how they can fit into a specific roll and contribute.

Considering all the new folks that have joined of late, I think somebody should be undertaking measures to make sure that people are up to speed on what all takes place and why. So, Bylaws, minutes, meeting agendas, officer identification, committees and all the other pieces of the puzzle need to be readily identifiable to members.

So, call me blind, or call me whatever but...the bottom line is, if I don't know where that stuff can be found, how do you expect everybody else and their brother to find it? And, if I have to ask questions to draw attention to what I perceive to be specifice deficiencies....oh well....

Yup....I was the person in the back of the class that had my hand up too....

Maranatha
04-24-2009, 10:12 PM
Great meeting, Great fellowship and Great food. Thanks you for all that attended. and Thank you mark for Setting this Meeting up

fbuckner
04-24-2009, 10:53 PM
Yes thanks Mark Nice area for sure.

wwjmaj
04-24-2009, 11:40 PM
THANK YOU all for traveling this way tonight/last night. I appreciate the opportunity to serve with you and I am glad we rescheduled.

It was great to meet some new members and put more faces with the usernames and nice to have heated debates face to face in a civil fashion and resolution. Maybe that signature line that is on here about an armed society being a polite society is proven true.

Proposed Minutes are being prepared and I will post them early next week.

appliancebrad
04-25-2009, 06:03 AM
Nice to see all of you last evening. Thanks for the warm welcome.

Done Deal
04-25-2009, 07:30 AM
How many members were in attendance?

NickS
04-25-2009, 10:21 AM
How many members were in attendance?

Four!

Maranatha
04-25-2009, 10:49 AM
Four!

not including the EC

wwjmaj
04-25-2009, 10:59 AM
All EC members were in attendence except Ian who had placed his proxy with Pres. Ed.

Done Deal
04-26-2009, 10:20 PM
The minutes of that meeting certainly should be interesting reading....both what is included and what is omitted.

And when might they be available for everybody to read?

Associate members might be interested in the way that business is conducted.

UTPD#5
04-27-2009, 04:22 AM
The minutes of that meeting certainly should be interesting reading....both what is included and what is omitted.

And when might they be available for everybody to read?

Associate members might be interested in the way that business is conducted.

http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=47117

They were posted on the 25th at 11:23pm.

UTPD#5
05-05-2009, 01:43 PM
This thread was moved to http://www.migunowners.org/forum/showthread.php?t=45839