PDA

View Full Version : Interest in competition shooting

Bodger
05-07-2009, 12:17 PM
I am considering trying to get into entry level competition shooting with rimfire firearms. I have a .22 rifle (Marlin 795), and I was also thinking about pistols (.22 as well) if there is such a competition. I don't have a lot of money for the bigger guns and was wondering if someone could point me in the right direction to get started.

Thanks in advance!

Roundballer
05-08-2009, 07:18 AM
Look around in your area for a club that has either a NRA small bore marksmanship program or CMP version of the same thing. That is the way to get started, learn and become proficient in 4 position shooting. There is a NRA program that covers your type of rifle/sight/weight combination, and you will learn proper techniques for target shooting.

wherei5mym1nd
05-08-2009, 05:44 PM
i'm just getting started going to matches and meets also.
check out the mgo events and shooting related events pages.

If you want to try out an event but don't have a firearm to meet requirements there is almost always someone willing to share theirs as long as you bring your own ammo and are safe. just ask on the board.

all of the ones that i have went to had some members sharing guns and they were alot of fun.

i got hooked on mi3gun and sporting clays this year so far.

good luck in finding something you like, practicing holds and positions at home without live rounds helps alot and hit the range often

have fun