PDA

View Full Version : Can anybody help me with a FAL?

Phelptwan
05-19-2009, 05:34 PM
So, I've got a DSA Barrel, and a DSA Receiver. I'd like to put them together, but my tools sucks. For the life of me I cannot find some method that works to tighten this barrel. It hand indexes to ~15 degrees, but when I try to tighten the barrel it turns in the vice. Does anybody in southwest michigan have a setup for barreling FALs? I have a receiver wrench.

dps1960mmg
05-19-2009, 10:13 PM
sounds like you might have to shave the barrel shoulder a little bit.
if you have a big enough vice try putting your receiver wrench in the vice and get a 1 1/16 " wrench and turn the barrel to tighten to 12 oclock

Phelptwan
05-20-2009, 10:17 AM
sounds like you might have to shave the barrel shoulder a little bit.
if you have a big enough vice try putting your receiver wrench in the vice and get a 1 1/16 " wrench and turn the barrel to tighten to 12 oclock

The barrel hand indexes to 11:00 o'clock already, I tried the 1 1/16" wrench, but it started rounding the corners on the shoulder.

Donzie
05-20-2009, 06:48 PM
I have a barrel vice, but its a long drive. also you need to lightly heat the receiver.

Phelptwan
05-21-2009, 08:04 AM
I have a barrel vice, but its a long drive. also you need to lightly heat the receiver.

I don't know if I can use a barrel press/barrel vice. The barrel is DSA with the gas tube brazed on.

On another not, Jeff Odem at Al n Bob's in GR said he could do it, so I might just end up doing that.

FALna45
05-21-2009, 08:49 AM
in a dozen builds i never heated a receiver. not to argue, just sayin....
maybe heat's particular to the no barrel vise method?
i've always used Brownells' barrel vise.

OP, to set the headspace once you have your barrel tight and sights @TDC you would also need pin gauges (.mscdirect.) of some sort every thou (u can scrimp by w/just odds or evens) in a range of about 0.250" to 0.270" i think would cover most cases & GO/NOGO (or better) gauges.

you are far....the stuff is heavy.......&last time i loaned my kit out it wasn't treated real nice....
how much did the smith quote you & was it just for the barrel install or setting headspace too? do you already have a kit or at least bolt & carrier?

ETA: the Brownell vise will work with your StG-style gas tube as it clamps near the chamber.

Phelptwan
05-21-2009, 12:48 PM
in a dozen builds i never heated a receiver. not to argue, just sayin....
maybe heat's particular to the no barrel vise method?
i've always used Brownells' barrel vise.

OP, to set the headspace once you have your barrel tight and sights @TDC you would also need pin gauges (.mscdirect.) of some sort every thou (u can scrimp by w/just odds or evens) in a range of about 0.250" to 0.270" i think would cover most cases & GO/NOGO (or better) gauges.

you are far....the stuff is heavy.......&last time i loaned my kit out it wasn't treated real nice....
how much did the smith quote you & was it just for the barrel install or setting headspace too? do you already have a kit or at least bolt & carrier?

ETA: the Brownell vise will work with your StG-style gas tube as it clamps near the chamber.

I've got everything for doing headspacing. The smith said $40 to turn the barrel, I guess it's less than a barrel vise. I've seen several people do it without heat, so I wouldn't think that would be an issue. Also, gunplumbers guide says nothing about heat either, then again, he uses a barrel vise. Maybe i'll end up having to use a barrel vise.

Donzie
05-21-2009, 06:25 PM
the barrel vice and a receiver wrench is by far the best way. the heat only helps with no vise, but only light indirect heat. too much heat and you will lose temper.