PDA

View Full Version : SKS magazine help

chewy
05-23-2009, 08:26 PM
I bought an SKS and it currently has a magazine adapter so as to accept the 30rnd magazine. Well, I'm no SKS expert as this is my first one but the 30rnd mag keeps falling out or not feeding right. I want to put the 10rnd mag back in but apparently there is some adapter insert that allows the 30rnd mags? Can anyone tell me how to remove this so the 10rnd mag will go back in?

DLL9MM
05-23-2009, 08:29 PM
I bought an SKS and it currently has a magazine adapter so as to accept the 30rnd magazine. Well, I'm no SKS expert as this is my first one but the 30rnd mag keeps falling out or not feeding right. I want to put the 10rnd mag back in but apparently there is some adapter insert that allows the 30rnd mags? Can anyone tell me how to remove this so the 10rnd mag will go back in?
Do you have pics? It is probably the D.C. engineering adapter or I think Cobray made one. Is it held in by a screw that you can see?
Is this it?
http://www.rifletech.com/item2006.htm

chewy
05-23-2009, 08:56 PM
Never mind... there's nothing special about it, I just have to remove the trigger assembly to put the mag in then put the trigger assembly back on then close the mag. Maybe I should try that adapter... maybe it'll keep the magazine from falling out! :D

DLL9MM
05-23-2009, 09:07 PM
Never mind... there's nothing special about it, I just have to remove the trigger assembly to put the mag in then put the trigger assembly back on then close the mag. Maybe I should try that adapter... maybe it'll keep the magazine from falling out! :D
From what I have heard, the D.C. Engineering Mags are overpriced junk. The best aftermarket mags for the SKS are the Tapco 20rd mags and the old "USA Brand" magazines which are hard to find. Personally, I would stick with the fixed 10rd factory magazine and stripper clips. One of my SKS' is setup in all Tapco stuff though.

Joeywhat
05-23-2009, 09:08 PM
Once I get an SKS I'll keep the mags stock. I don't see the point of using a 30 round mag, I'll just buy an AK for that.

Does the SKS bolt lock back after last round? If so grabbing a full stripper and throwing it in should be about as fast a reload as swapping mags.

DLL9MM
05-23-2009, 09:10 PM
Once I get an SKS I'll keep the mags stock. I don't see the point of using a 30 round mag, I'll just buy an AK for that.

Does the SKS bolt lock back after last round? If so grabbing a full stripper and throwing it in should be about as fast a reload as swapping mags.
The bolt carrier locks back when the magazine is empty. Loading it with stripper clips can be faster than aftermarket mags with practice.

ddmoit
05-23-2009, 09:11 PM
I just got my first SKS and am in the process of learning all about it. Best I can tell, the bolt does lock back after the last round.

chewy
05-26-2009, 04:09 PM
Ya, I got the original 10rnd magazine back into it and it pushes the lever up which locks it to the rear when empty... For some reason the 30rnd magazine doesn't push it up. Now that I've got the 10rnd mag in it I just need to get to the range to test fire it. If it fires well, as I anticipate it will, I'm just leaving the 10rnd mag in and not using the 30rnd.

Mongo
05-26-2009, 06:34 PM
I own a few SKS's and I have no interest in using anything but the stock 10 round fixed mag. It's just not worth it. Even if they did work, then I'd have to buy MORE mags for it. The only good option is the few SKS's that are adapted to take AK mags, those work pretty well, and I already have AK mags. As I get older, I try and live on the K.I.S.S. philosophy as much as possible.

chewy
05-26-2009, 06:54 PM
Ya, I've come to the decision that I'm just leaving the 10rnd mag in it... besides, if you shoot as good as I do why would you need more than 10rnds :biggrin:

Sargeyork
06-22-2009, 07:54 PM
Don't want to Hijack But since you seem to have solved your problem I will use this opportunity to say I am looking for a 20 round fixed magazine for my SKS if anyone has a lead on one for a reasonable price, they are going for too much on Gunbroker when they appear but I keep looking there.:salute:

wolfy
07-01-2009, 08:41 PM
Removable SKS mags are a waste of money, A LOT of SKS owners try them out, and I don't know anyone that considered using them again after the first couple of times. The factory fixed mag is sweet and simple.

Buzzcat
07-02-2009, 08:36 AM
I've had a few of the old style 37 rounders from DC for about 15 years now, and they've worked perfectly for me. Matter of fact, they're the only ones I can rely on to work, all the others I've tried were junk. Maybe I'm just lucky, or maybe they made 'em better back then.

DC's new design with the adapter is intriguing, but even if it worked absolutely 100% perfectly, the price they're charging for clips is outrageous.

autosurgeon
07-30-2009, 02:54 AM
I use the 20rd Tapco Mags .. Have 10 of em... I also have my 54 russian in a Tapco stock and hand guard so as to meet 92r requirments! I kept all the take off parts and it is an easy process to convert her back.

Oh and I have had no problems with the Tapco mags ... however they usually don't work with wood furniture without inletting!

pberishaj
08-28-2009, 02:33 AM
tapcos have worked for me great promags are crap abd so are the steel ones made in china or wherever